North Side (9-1) beats Ridgeway

NSIndiansFan

North Side went down to Ridgeway tonight and beat them 67-63. North Side did not have the lead until about 5 min left in the game. North Side came out and played really hard. North Side had to also beat the refs who did not call the game fairly. The quarter scoring went:

NS 16 12 16 23 - 67

Ridge 19 18 14 12 - 63

North Side shot very well overall and hit 73% of their free thorws. Jarell Shanklin had 13 points, Dell Coleman had 7 points, Ramon Williams had 15, Richard Delk had 10, and Reginald Delk had a game high 22. Ridgeway had 3 in double figures Pierre Niles with 16, Michael Rice with 10, and Jordan Mincy with 10. Ridgeway shot 40% overall, 31% from 3 and 46% from the free throw line. Back to the refs for a second, but since when were elbows to the stomach and a player making a fist and hit another player in the chest legal. Michael Rice of Ridgeway elbowed people all night, and their was one instance when he and Zak Boylan for North Side were fighting for a rebound and after the whistle Michael Rice made a fist and hit him. Ridgeway has very low sportsmanship. North Side is now done til after Christmas. They play in a Christmas tourney on Dec. 26 against Austin East and on Dec. 27 against Memphis Melrose.

All I have to say no is: WHO'S THE TEAM?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to the refs for a second, but since when were elbows to the stomach and a player making a fist and hit another player in the chest legal. Michael Rice of Ridgeway elbowed people all night, and their was one instance when he and Zak Boylan for North Side were fighting for a rebound and after the whistle Michael Rice made a fist and hit him. Ridgeway has very low sportsmanship. North Side is now done til after Christmas. They play in a Christmas tourney on Dec. 26 against Austin East and on Dec. 27 against Memphis Melrose.

All I have to say no is: WHO'S THE TEAM?

I guess everyone has their own perspective on the game. You were right about it being physical the refs never had control of the game as far as the elbowing but don't act like JNS wasn't right in their doing their share. As for Rice that play he went up for a rebound got grabbed and elbowed and returned the elbow that #11 had thrown then #11 (sorry don't know his name) returned one back with a few words and got a tech called. The game was one of the most excited and congratulations to Northside for lasting and pulling it out. They are a very good and physical team I wish them the best in the rest of the season.

Ridgeway will host a tournament after Christmas but I am not sure who all is playing.

Northside “elbowing” and Memphis basketball ---

Just get use to tossing out the rules for Memphis High School basketball. If a team is super aggressive a brave ref may call 1 to 3 foul calls at the beginning of a game to try and prevent the fouling. But after that they let things go. Memphis coaches know and understand this. If they find a ref that challenges this, they will send the bench in to change the ref. Of course this is what they call AGGRESSIVE basketball when truly it is a combination of poor calling and refs that want to go home (can you blame them - if you call a foul it extends the game and of course TSSAA doesn't pay them overtime - so it is just best to let it go and get the game over – and they also have the troops (police) in the stands now to defend idiotic calls). This is where the frustration and fights come from. Memphis teams are the best at this. Both Bolivar's coach Rudesill and Southside's coach Tyson know and understand this. There are just a few players and teams in the West Tenn that apply this and compete with the Memphis teams. Northside looks like they are ready to give the Memphis teams some of their own medicine - good job!

There are other subtle things happening in high school bball - what was a carry, is no longer a carry - a little extra step by a fast athlete is no longer a walk - the crowd most of the time cannot see it, but the coaches and refs know it - thank the NBA and "And 1" for all of this confusion.

So is the aggressive fouling game plan fair or cheating? Go figure – hint: you ain’t going to the big dance though if you don’t learn how to dance the new way!!!!!!!!! Go Northside!

Edited by johnwoodendisciple

Agreed John, Tyson, Rudesill do not back away from Memphis, they take the challenge and learn from it. I would have to include Haywood and Fayette Ware as # 4 and 5 as Nside has stepped up also. To be the best you must play and beat the best on a regular basis. Playing weak schedules does not build champions, it makes weak teams and coaches not willing to put in the extra effort look good. I could name several.

To let all of you people know something Northsid is a fluke they are sorry if you be physical with them you can win the Delk twins are sorry the best team in Jackson is Southside with out a doubt and they beat Northside. To Jackson Northside fans Bolivar will meet with you again. you will have no answer for Willie Kemp and Brain Lake and my boy Jowaun Walker

Nakiashine your starting to get on my nerves.First you say Southside is overrated now they are the best team in Jackson.Northside had an off game against Southside the first time.Northside beat a Liberty team that gave Southside more than they wanted in a four point game.Oh yeah did I mention Northside beat Liberty by 49.So if I was you I would think twice about posting another Bolivar's the best until Bolivar beats Northside(not going to happen).

LATER NAKIASHINE

P.S. post things you know about from now on buddy.

North Side enjoys claiming the top spot in West Tennessee after winning games against AA schools. Just for local rivals' sake, that's great. However, Bolivar, South Side, and Liberty won't be standing between you and Murfreesboro. Congrats on beating Ridgeway, who is brand new to the AAA scene, but playing 12 out of your 15 non-district/region games against non-AAA schools won't help.

In AA, Bolivar and South Side are the top tier. Humboldt and now Liberty can both challenge for the region spots. Teams from District 11 (Milan, Lexington, etc) don't have a chance of advancing past the region. North Side can stop talking trash about Bolivar and South Side, because they can beat them all they like and still watch them make a trip to the big dance and not the Indians. Don't look for this year to be different. Either Bolivar or South Side (or both) will go to Murfreesboro, and North Side will not. But maybe the Indians will make it out of the region this year.

North Side enjoys claiming the top spot in West Tennessee after winning games against AA schools.  Just for local rivals' sake, that's great.  However, Bolivar, South Side, and Liberty won't be standing between you and Murfreesboro.  Congrats on beating Ridgeway, who is brand new to the AAA scene, but playing 12 out of your 15 non-district/region games against non-AAA schools won't help.

In AA, Bolivar and South Side are the top tier.  Humboldt and now Liberty can both challenge for the region spots.  Teams from District 11 (Milan, Lexington, etc) don't have a chance of advancing past the region.  North Side can stop talking trash about Bolivar and South Side, because they can beat them all they like and still watch them make a trip to the big dance and not the Indians.  Don't look for this year to be different.  Either Bolivar or South Side (or both) will go to Murfreesboro, and North Side will not.  But maybe the Indians will make it out of the region this year.

Hey bbcoach - do you think district 11 and 12 are fairly divided?

Edited by bopeep2

To answer the first question by JMS, I don't think anyone will beat NS in the region THIS year. My post was simply to point out that their supporters were bragging about beating teams in a lower class. This would compare to South Side or Bolivar fans getting on here to brag about beating USJ, JCS, or Middleton. Wouldn't happen.

In response to the second question, the districts are fairly divided when you look at the criteria by which that happens. They are not divided by parity, but rather by geography. However, if you look at last year's regional tournament, only one team from district 11 won their 1st round regional game -- Milan. In order from top to bottom, Bolivar defeated McKenzie, South Side defeated Camden, Chester County lost to Milan, and Humboldt defeated their top seed Lexington. For right now, the boys basketball seems to be unevenly divided. These things will work theirselves out over time, but the boys from District 11 will always have a tough time making it out.

Merry Christmas to everyone!