weight allowance

CoachDelgado

This came a couple of years ago, but I do recall there was an issue with someone granting weight allowance for an event with no prior wrestling on previous days. I believe it was an event on Monday during the holiday season and two pounds were granted. If I remember, one of the teams had legitimate allowance on Saturday (like 4 pounds) and wanted some allowance on Monday or they didn't want to compete. Sometimes coaches want to give "travel weight" to out of town teams. Sometimes coaches want to give "holiday weight". Whatever the case may be, the granting of weight allowance "just because" is not in line with the rules of our sport.

What was the mixup with the allowance at Franklin? How about the upcoming event at Ravenwood? Anyone else have any thoughts or comments on the subject?

Edited by CoachDelgado

There is not an upcoming event at Rossview. The Rossview event last year was the event in question and no weight was given. An Alabama team wrestled late Saturday and had to travel home late Saturday/Early Sunday then turn around and leave Sunday to make it to Rossview. They pulled out of the tourney because no weight was given.

Personal opinion or rule book opinion? How many kids have ever said man I would have been the state champion at 105, but at 103 I sucked. Weight class are arbitrary numbers to me. If it is the same for all then no advantage is being gained by a particular school or schools. I will say that the vote was 15-1 among the coaches. Ultimately the rule book won. Some rules are border line ridiculus. For instance if a rack your...um if I make it uncomfortable in you crotch on a fireman's it is legal, the same if you stand-up and I hit a hard crotch lift or if I hit you there with a ball and chain. Now is it leagl to hit someone in the sack...

What if a team wrestles at 11:01 eastern on Saturday night. Then thay have a meet on Monday in the Central time zone where it was 12:01 Sunday do they get a pound? What if a team knows they will be wrestling late or close to the midnight time frame. You have no way of giving coaches a 48 hour notice of additional weight. How do you handle that? Give the weight in advance or give it last minute or not give it at all when it must be given according to the rules. Yes these are the most extreme cases, but not improbable. I have been to many places where it has been after 10pm leaving.

I am in the business of doing what is the best for kids in general. I would take extra weight during the holidays anytime it was offered. How many wrestlers do you have that eat 3 meals a day every day and are under scratch weight everyday. I would love for my kids to enjoy the holidays a little more and eat a little more and run a little less. I would suggest a rule change to move the growth allowance to Dec. 25th.

There is no weight allowance Tuesday at Kenwood.

Doesn't the term "Invitational" mean that they are allowed to make their own terms. Doesn't the hosting team get to do bracketing the way they want to? Don't they get to set up mats the way they want to? And thus don't they get to set weight allowances the way they want to! I'm sure there are "guidelines" set forth on how to run a tournament, but they are just that....guidelines!

When you go to an invitational tournament, if you want to know the particulars, I think the onus is on you to find out the particulars before you accept the INVITATION

BigDog,

Invitational means you can set some rules such as start time, double or single elimination, how many medals to give out, how many team awards and a few other things. As far as weight allowance is concerned, the NFHS book covers this in the rules. There is no discretion allowed under NFHS.

Evil,

That is a little far fetched isn't it? You have to have weight categories for the sake of fair competiton.

Tradewind,

The creation of the weight classes may seem set at arbitrary numbers, but they must be somewhere. They are set to try to include the highest number of weight classes with the average size of high school males taken into consideration. As far as extra pounds are concerned, we have all seen wrestlers who perform better with extra weight than at scratch. There are times in a season when you have to wrestle at scratch. If none of the teams involved wrestled the night before, no one gets weight. Get used to it. As far as after midnight goes, those are rare and extreme cases. Call Ronnie Carter on that one. My belief is that no weight would be given. (Saturday weigh in 8:00am, tournament ends 1:00am Sunday, Monday weigh in 5:00pm) I think there is enough time to get back to scratch.