TSWA Class A

TyFry

You may can say that for football but look back at all of the other sports.  Privates have had a leg up for years.

Let me ask this, if this trend continued another five years, would you support changes in the present system?

I would whole heartedly support any change that was applied equally and fairly to all members of the TSSAA. A merit system fits this bill.

Anything else isn't a change to the system, it is discrimination against whoever it is applied to.

Consider this, let's take the records of teams for the last 2 years. If the team has won 80% of their regular season games and made it 2 rounds into the playoffs for 2 years then they have to move up a category. The State Champ in each division automatically moves up. If a team has lost 80% of their regular season games for 2 years then they can opt to move down a category. Cap the movement at 2 categories (1a can be forced up to 3a if they keep winning but not 4a, 5a could come down to 3a if they keep losing but not 2a). Within 4 or at most 6 years most of the really dominating teams in the lower categories would have moved up once or twice. And as a bonus some of the non-competitive teams in the larger categories will be able to come down and compete.

The best thing about a merit system is that it addresses what everyone CLAIMS is the root problem...competitiveness without singling out 1 category of school (private, metro, etc)

Note: If this system were currently in place in 1a Ezell Harding, Boyd Buchanan, CPA, and possibly a few other teams would be moving to 2a next year. In 2a Tyner Academy, David Lipscomb, and possibly a couple of other would be moving to 3a. I don't know much about 3a but Hillsboro would be headed to 5a as would Maryville I think.

Heck, you could even move the div2 schools back in since competitiveness is the criterion...if they dominated they would all move up.

You know that this will never happen.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the original post said it was just a coincidence with no accusations. Don't you think that it is odd that such a high percentage come from private schools? There are more public school players in the state.

Tacoma...do you find it interesting that no less than 19 out of 35 players on the 2A team are from open zone schools? Are more than half the schools in 2A open zoned?

It`s easy to point fingers at the 1A private schools because they are the open zoned schools in 1A, however being private should not be the point of emphasis.

Tacoma...do you find it interesting that no less than 19 out of 35 players on the 2A team are from open zone schools? Are more than half the schools in 2A open zoned?

It`s easy to point fingers at the 1A private schools because they are the open zoned schools in 1A, however being private should not be the point of emphasis.

There's nothing like that open zoned free education is there VG?

It does, however, give them a better chance of being good than a closed zone.

Exactly Greg! It`s not because they are private, it`s the open zone. I could care less for the 1A rural schools as long as their complaint is about private schools. Now change that argument to open zone schools and I`m right there with you because it is an advantage and it does give them a better chance of being good. Just proposing that private schools be split is narrow minded.

OK VG. Let's follow your theory that it is open zone and not private that is the problem. Which Single A schools are open zone? How many of them made the final 8 in football this year? Only two public schools were in the final eight, South Pittsburgh and Greenback. Are both of these schools open zone? I don't know.

OK VG. Let's follow your theory that it is open zone and not private that is the problem. Which Single A schools are open zone? How many of them made the final 8 in football this year? Only two public schools were in the final eight, South Pittsburgh and Greenback. Are both of these schools open zone? I don't know.

South Pitt is open zoned. Don't know about Greenback.