IS MAPLEWOOD STILL THE SAME WITHOUT BARRY GARDENER

LADYFIREBIRD04

I don't think losing coach gamble is the difference cause they lost gamble and gained coach B who is a great coach also. Losing Barry does make a big difference Bubba has no inside to go with his outside. Barry was very long and to up a lot of space. They lost there leading shot blocker and rebounder not to mention third leading scorer. Just his presence made people not come down low to shoot the ball.

gwmike, you are right in some respects. Coach B is a very good coach. He will bring them around. I loved and still love Barry Gardner, but he had no leadership in the home. I hope he learns from his mistakes. Give Coach B a chance and he will succeed. Bubba is a great young man and the others are going to have to rally around as team players. Maplewood is dear to my heart and I love those kids. They will not quit!!!

bigchief i disagree with you. i think that coach b is just as good of a coach as coach gamble.he took hunters lane freshman all the way last year. even though you might not think much of that but that is a big accomplishment. losing barry is a big stumbling block for maplewood they will just have to learn how to work around their loss.

So, Ladyfirebird04, he took Hunters Lane freshman all the way last year? I thought McGavock beat MLK by forfeit for the city championship last year. I guess that means Bubba Spears (and Keith Dearing before that) should be coaching in the SEC since they won the freshman city chapionships at McGavock in 2000, 2001 and 2003. Think before speaking please. :D

I can't sleep so I might as well add my two cents on some of these subjects.

First of all no one has said the most valuable trait for a coach that is totally unimpotrant in metro, EXPERIENCE. Bodenhamer will probably be able to handle the X's and O's of basketball and be able to motivate his team. There are things that he will encounter that he has not dealt with before, that experience would help.

Bodenhamer cannot possibly be held in the same light as Coach Gamble because of time and success. After 15 or 20 years for Bodenhamer you can fairly measure the two coaches.

Another factor would be tallent. Anyone that knows Coach Gamble knows that he can coach, however, anyone judging him solely on Hillwood would think he was terrible. That is not a cut to the kids at Hillwood, it just represents a long period of time that basketball has not been a priority at the school.

Finally, Bodenhamer did a very good job with the Freshmen at Hunters Lane, but McGavock was the 12AAA representitive in the city championship. There was no representitive for 11AAA. That was a crime.

We will see how well the Maplewood Athletic Department does in the next few years with their young football and basketball coaches. Many of us know that the talent is definitely there. The best coach at Maplewood is Coach Paschal (Wrestling), who is the best football coach in the school not coaching football. Coach B will be keeping an eye on the Middle School programs around the city to pull talent like he did at Hunters Lane. For some reason, he can do it and others can't. If Coach B and Coach Thompson (football) continue their "If he is a Basketball player, he should NOT play football because he could risk injury," dialogue, then the program could be in trouble in several areas.

We will see how well the Maplewood Athletic Department does in the next few years with their young football and basketball coaches. Many of us know that the talent is definitely there. The best coach at Maplewood is Coach Paschal (Wrestling), who is the best football coach in the school not coaching football. Coach B will be keeping an eye on the Middle School programs around the city to pull talent like he did at Hunters Lane. For some reason, he can do it and others can't. If Coach B and Coach Thompson (football) continue their "If he is a Basketball player, he should NOT play football because he could risk injury," dialogue, then the program could be in trouble in several areas.

You better just worry about the green people at your 'wood and leave Maplewood alone. By the way, be prepared for some serious problems if you don't leave the kids at G-M alone <_<

Paschal is a good guy, but you showed your ignorance with that comment.

And what qualifies you to criticize B? You're a legend in your own mind, a joke to all others.

Is Maplewood the same without Barry Gardner? I don't know Barry, but if he committed a felony, then yes they are better without him, period! It is regretful, but the team will have to overcome this tragedy. I am sure the other kids will step up, because it seems Maplewood is always in the hunt. :D