whats the deal w/ tyler smith what about prince

Bulldog9

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fellow Giles County fans, I have to go with Gomab and Baconbreath...Tyler plays Tylers game...if he decides he wants to coast...Tyler will coast. There is no doubt in my mind that Tyler could be the best player in the state, but until he decides he wants to give his all every game, he will be 2nd to Jamont...yes, I said it...Jamont. As many negative things as I have heard about Jamont, he is still averaging 30 + pts/game...he helps his team win those big games along with the rest of the easy games. I love watching Tyler play, when he decides he wants to play...for instance, the first meeting between Giles and Bradley...he was unstoppable, because he had that thought in his head. He was throwing moves down, that the likes of that crowd have never seen on a high school basketball court. As for Prince taking Tyler to the rack...probably not!!!!

Mas- The 3 point performance is a very good point, however, He does play for White Station who never has any who consistently averages 20 points. I remember last years team had 4 or 5 guys, all averaged about 11-13 points. UT swingman Dane Bradshaw only averaged about 12 points a game and about 6 or 7 blocks, thats the reason they are so good...you don't have to beat one of their players, you have to beat about 11. If Tyler was in the offense there, I'm sure he would do well, but I also know he wouldn't average 20.

Great posts....

As talented as Tyler is, I will never jump on his bandwagon until he plays with heart on a consistent basis... As said before, all the other "greats" do, and that is one thing that separates players on the next level...

Gomab2, I have been using this board for a while now, and I really think that your bias towards certain players affects your ability to be a neutral observer. I don't deny that what you say about Smith may be true, but there are some other players that are even worse than him about effort and heart whose praises you sing on a regular basis. I won't mention their names, because I hate to degrade in any way an individual still in high school. It seems the players and programs that you have an affiliation with or interest in get better pub from you. I know you are a knowledgeable person, and I enjoy reading your assessments and observations, but I really think you could use a little more objectivity at times.

I don't disagree with most of what gomab does or says. His first priority is to recruit kids for his AAU program. If a kid plays for him, then sure he will give them good publicity and try to aid them in getting a scholarship if possible. That is what good coaches are supposed to do. He does, however, tend to overlook flaws of his own players. To gomab Tyler Smith seems lazy and plays shadow ball at times, while lacking effort on the defensive end. I recall a player named Justin Flatt (Mid State Ballerz AAU) that played a couple years ago, who gomab hung the moon on. Flatt, signed by NC STATE for his shooting prowess, could not guard a parked car much less an ACC guard, therefore he is now a UTM Skyhawk. This is just an observation. I am not attacking gomab, for I do appreciate what he does and says. He knows talent but naturally, once he develops a relationship with the kids they move up his list. Kind of like parents think their child is the best even when they are just plain awful. :D

PS Happy New Year

Very true ego... But I saw the game...JP penetrated noone... tried a few times and looked as if he got discouraged... Also, he had some good blocked shots, but other than that he couldn't play defense w/out fouling the person he was guarding... Not impressed at all! If tyler was on whitestation... He probably wouldn't avg 20ppg... because I do agree that he coasts at times... he'd probably avg 18ppg... :D

happy new yr all...

Gomab2, I have been using this board for a while now, and I really think that your bias towards certain players affects your ability to be a neutral observer.

This obviously applies to EVERY poster on this board. We are all biased towards the players we've seen or know. Certainly Giles Co. fans are biased towards Tyler; Bradley fans are biased towards Hare and Pickle; Jamont Gordan has his fans as doeas the Delks, Shawn Williams and a hundred other players that are mentioned on this board regularly. Vive la differance!

Speaking of how hard it is to score a lot at White Station, Courtney Pigram is putting up an amazing 18.8 ppg in that system. Pigram is the best Senior guard in the state under 6'7, and had his true coming out party at the Arby's...

As for Justin Flatt, I never ranked him #1. Or 2, 3, 4, 5, 6... I don't think I showed much bias by ranking an ACC-signee #7 in his class. Had Justin defended better, he may have been higher ranked. I never said he was a great defender. The kid certainly played with HEART, though, and busted his tail every time he stepped on the court... Justin is now going to be a star at Martin, and is happy with his transfer...

As for Tyler, others on the board agree with me...the kid is lazy and plays with no heart. It boggles my mind how a kid could be that talented yet play with such indifference...

Oh, and Jamont does not play for me during the summers, yet he is my #1 ahead of Reginald Delk, so you guys are really trying to stretch it on the whole "bias" thing... I even had one of my own players ranked outside of the Top 30 who will committ to a Division 1 scholarship within the next few weeks... The "bias" comments are starting to get old...