whats the deal w/ tyler smith what about prince

Bulldog9

I wonder why the coach doesn't step in and talk with Tyler. It's obvious that everyone sees that he plays when he wants to. Isn't that supposed to be part of the coach's job? Giles County runs no plays to get Tyler isolated or posted up, nor do they run any picks for Shay Shannon to come off of and shoot. I am a Giles County fan but it really upsets me when I see teams like Bradley that are so well coached with not as much talent as Giles County, yet they win game after game. Streetball may work to an extent on weak divison teams, but when you get up with the big guys you need to be organized and have a gameplan. Just a few thoughts there, now I'll get off my soap box.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ctide don't blame Tyler on coaching, I agree on the no plays. Maybe thats why alot of times it looks like Tyler as well as the rest of team look lost, especially in the last few mins. of tough games. By the way gomab you are bias what flavor is it today? I would also like an answer to the ? above if you have time.

I dont know who is starting up all this bull on here, but put it to rest. My gosh, watch Tyler play, and then listen to yourself talk!! I am a Loretto fan, and just to be honest with you Giles County is far from my favorite team, but Tyler Smith is awesome!! Yall wanna scream that he's lazy and he dont play hard 100% of the time, just like I feel!!! I'm not made to do anything 1/2 way, you ppl griping probly arent either, but it doesnt take away from the fact then when he wants to do sumthin, he does as he pleases!! I'm not tryin to justify his not hustling, because that is against everything that I"m for but give the guy a break!! He dont have to impress any of you, and he isn't goin to try to!! That aint his job!! Good Luck Tyler, and maybe these mouth-runners who have probably never even picked up a basketball will leave you alone!! Keep Ballin Tyler!!!! HOLLA!!!!!

Ok...I am a huge Giles County fan and I agree with Gomab. Tyler has the talent to make him the best player in TN...possibly the best Junior in the Nation, but the drive isn't there. Could it be that he doesn't like playing the weak district games??? If that is the case, then he should have been off to Oak Hill...where the competition is tough every night, as is playing time. THAT IS NO EXCUSE NOT TO PLAY HARD. What do you think Roy Williams is seeing when he shows up for a Giles County game (he has been there). He sees the same thing we are all posting about...a kid with tremendous talent, but little drive to use it. Evidently, someone is seeing something special in this kid when he goes to the Nike and Adidas camps (where the competition is strong).

I understand that Tyler is 16 or 17 and is probably under more pressure than any of us will ever be burdened with, but someone has to step in and encourage him to always give his ALL. Tylers dad was one of the premier players in the 70's (I think)...made the All-State team...that would be a great person to hear it from!!!

If you want to see awesome..... Go watch Jamont Gordan play. I had a front row seat when he lit Blackman up. I also had a birds eyey view of his bad attitude on the floor. Sorry to disappoint all the nay-sayers but the guy doesn't have a tude problem he just plays ball. Jamont is the #1 jr. may be the best in any class.

Tyler Smith is avery good athlete blessed with the ability to shoot it from the outside, but in order to be considered one of the top in the nation or even the best in your class you have to be able to create your own shot off the dribble. Tyler can't do that right now which probably goes back to his work ethic. Being physically stronger than most on the high school level will change once he enters college, and if you can't get a shoot from anywhere on the floor off the dribble you aren't a star but maybe just a good player on the college level. So for now Tyler Smith is probably the most advanced of the juniors and deserves his #1 ranking, but being #1 means that guys are knocking at your door to take your spot.

I tend to disagree with Tyler not being able to create his own shot...that is how he gets all of his shots. Coach Holt does not run screens for any of the kids. Tyler as well as Shay have to create their own shots...that is the truth...I can promise you that. The kid has excellent hands and ball handling abilities...I don't know who you have been watching, but it isn't Tyler. Anyone that watches him play will tell you that creating his own shot off of the dribble is his best quality...just ask them????????

It's funny to me how everyone is quick to down this KID . Ask any highschool coach or college for that matter and I bet they have heard of Tyler Smith. Ask any team that he has played against if they would want him on their team and i bet they would . Gomab Jamont is your #1 junior this month ,he has not always been , you just recently jumped on his bandwagon. It's strange to me how Gomab is always quick to down Tyler ' what has he done to you.

If Gomab had him number 1 would that make him a better player?

No

Would your opininon of Gomab change if he had him number one?

I don't know, ask yourself that.

Does it really matter in the whole scheme of things who "on paper" is number one?

No

Can you prove who is the best player?

No

Tell me the best player in the NBA.

You can't

Tell me the best player in college basketball.

You can't

People's opinions are different, Gomab might think that Jamont is more important to his team...Giles Co. is the state champions and they have other players on that team that are very good. Perhaps Gomab thinks Jamont might be a better player in the future, or he thinks Jamont is a better player now and Tyler will be a better player in the future.

He isn't going to give opinions that are going to satisfy everyone for two reasons...

1- it's impossible

2- it's his opinion.

I think Jamont Gordon is the best player in this state for the jr. class. The kid is phenomenal and can literally "do it all." Tyler can not pass like Jamont and there is absolutely no question about that. Tyler might be a better scorer than him, if you think the best player in the state has to be a scorer, well perhaps Tyler is your pick. I think Jamont is the best player because of his passing, and because I do not see anyone that can actually guard him. We put a 6'7 SF on him (who was invited to the Nike Camp) and he went by him time and time again.

Just because I'm not real high on the kid does not mean he has "done anything to me"... I'm just not as big on Tyler as some are, and I have given my reasons why...

As for Jamont, I had the kid #3, and have always loved his game. I have seen Jamont play about 15-16 times before. I have seen Tyler about 15-16 times as well. I honestly ONLY had him behind Tyler because of the pressure that Tyler's national pub brings him. Then I finally got the chance to watch Jamont in a full game this HS year, and realized he is far better than Tyler, so I moved him ahead of both Tyler and Reginald Delk to the spot he deserves to be at: #1...

I have no problem with you ranking anyone #1 or # whatever all I was saying is that you tend to get on here and down the" KID " a whole lot . And you say that you just ranked him #2 because of ALL the publicity he is getting (why is he getting all of the publicity) I guess the public knows talent when they see it .

Just because I'm not real high on the kid does not mean he has "done anything to me"... I'm just not as big on Tyler as some are, and I have given my reasons why...

As for Jamont, I had the kid #3, and have always loved his game. I have seen Jamont play about 15-16 times before. I have seen Tyler about 15-16 times as well. I honestly ONLY had him behind Tyler because of the pressure that Tyler's national pub brings him. Then I finally got the chance to watch Jamont in a full game this HS year, and realized he is far better than Tyler, so I moved him ahead of both Tyler and Reginald Delk to the spot he deserves to be at: #1...

Why are you not high on Tyler. You say lack of effort but every scout I have spoken with say the same thing, that the game is so easy for him and he seems to be a very unselfish player. Mark my words, whoever he signs with, whether it be North Carolina, TN, Syracuse, Florida or Kentucky will say the exact same thing.

The facts are simple, he already has an NBA body, he has the great hands that great players have, he has very good basketball instints, he has great body control with the ability to turn, twist and stop at any given time, he runs the floor well, he can create his own shot, drive to the basket and is a great finisher. He has good defensive skills with lots of room for improvement, he does not turn the ball over. He is a decent shooter with room to improve (he shoots nearly 50% from the floor). He is a very unselfish player with very good passing skills.

Those are the attributes that every scout that watches him play write down, he also does not seem to have any attitude problems. He simply does not have many liabilities to his game and these are the reasons that he is looked at as one of the best Juniors in the state.

Unless something drastic happens, Tyler will sign with whatever school in the country that he wants to attend.

The facts also show that both Jamont and Delk, regardless of their great games, have more liabilities to them. Both are Div I talents, but it would not suprise me if only 1 of the two sign with a big time school. Neither will make an impact as a freshman at a major program and neither, unless they improve dramatically will make the league. Smith will play in the NBA unless something in him changes dramatically from what he is now. He is one of the few hyped players in the mid-state that lives up to the expectations and has done so since a freshman. He is only a junior and should the Cats make it back to the state the next couple of season he will have done all he can at the high school level.