Another Big Time Recruit Transfers

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before the Christmas break I saw a former softball player from here, she was on the team as a freshman in 2001 and started a few games, probably hit .275-.300. She certainly could have started her last three seasons, this year would have been her senior year. She pitched too and could have at least been a reliable #2 with some work. I think she was a likely all-district type player if she had applied herself a little more, probably not a small college or juco type like those 2 I talked to you about at Soddy-Daisy but certainly a player that could have helped win games. Where did I see here? Behind the counter working at a convenience store even though it was about noon on a weekday. How do you get those type of students on the field? She is just one of many, male and female, and I do not believe private schools have to deal with those problems very often. As for those two 4A schools that do not play private schools, I am sure their coaches do a great job at getting players to come out that have rough home situations. But I bet many more dont play that could make them even better. For every John Henderson there could be another that cares little about anything or cant make a minimum on a test to stay eligble. Wouldnt you say virtually every player with size, quickness and/or ability at a private school is playing at least 1 sport and working hard to make themselves the best they can be? Several coaches here have major number problems because they *work the kids too hard.* From what I am told by some private school graduates including a couple that won state titles in high school, what they do is standard at their old schools.

Indian, you know I respect your opinions but on this we have to somewhat disagree. Internal marketing in business is key to success, emplyees must buy into the program. Internal recruiting is one of the keys to the success of the top athletic programs public or private.

Those are 4A with probably 1,000 students. If its the fault of the coaches, then every coach in the school is bad at it because its a problem in every girls and boys sport offered.

Not in every sport or at every school...I can name a half dozen publics in the Chattanooga area alone with mutiple sports that kids come out for in droves...a lot has to do with the coaches.

My first year as Baseball coach at Boyd I had 13...count'em 13... kids come out (4 of whom hadn't played ball since little league but who I promised a letter to just to get enough bodies to play). We had about 24 kids out for Football that year. Obviously one of our priorities was to increase participation...it can be done, I know, had to do it.

Open enrollment is the key to every arguement that has gone on in this forum. But the T$$AA will do nothing about it in any case, with the exception of helping out the 5A's when they took out the financial aid schools so the big boys would no longer be embarassed by losing to BA and their ilk

It would be interesting to find out which 5A school or school districts have open zoning in areas where big privates like BA, MBA, and Father Ryan compete for students. The only place I know where big privates compete with 5A schools for student athletes where open zoning is allowed is in Memphis.

Indian-

If participation is the factor that you suggest then wouldn't the multiplier achieve this mystical parity? Georgia and Alabama determined (with research and data) that availability of students and participation difference added up to a 1.5 factor in GA and 1.35 in AL. The officials involved all eluded to the fact that some "cushion" was added to sooth the fears of public schools. This tells me that even both factors don't add up to a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.

Also I can't help but notice the number of times that used the term "I think" in your last post. It is a matter of percption usually, not fact. I'm not picking on you but what data so you have that all small private schools have kids out in droves? Boyd's basketball and baseball teams often languish below potential because of the number of athletes (good ones) who choose to not play (and we all know that to succeed in A or AA you've gotta have every kid who can play.) Football (obviously) at Boyd doesn't suffer this fate. Why? I tend to agree that mostly it is the coaches or programs own success that draws kids to participate.