Some people can say I`m wrong,but this is an issue

Bolivar Central principal Fred Kessler and Dyersburg High principal Sam Miles are two people on the Board of Control that will vote on Thursday. Both of these men have echoed what I`ve been saying all along. I`m not opposed to change, but if there are problems, they need to be dealt with fairly throughout the system and not just applied to private schools.

MILES

Miles is opposed to the 2.0 figure being considered for the multiplier rule for private schools.

"That would mean a drastic change in Class A, and I think it would be unfair in some aspects to the private schools who stayed with the publics and chose not to give financial aid years ago," Miles said. "The 2.0 would be too much movement among the 1A and 2A schools."

Miles said he might support a lower figure for the multiplier.

KESSLER

Kessler believes the privates have a "legitimate gripe" over the 2.0, especially when some public school systems have the same advantages as privates, allowing athletes from neighboring counties or other districts to attend their schools.

"Some public schools are creating more problems than the privates," Kessler said. "Often in Memphis, the publics are doing more recruiting of kids out of the eighth grade than the privates. And your magnet schools can do the same things. A number of people have asked why we're looking at the privates if we're not looking at the others in the public systems."

I`ve brought up these issues time and again and some people have told me that open zone and magnet schools are not what is at issue. Well I`m glad to see at least 2 people are open minded enough to acknowledge that some public schools have advantages too.

Here`s the entire article...another good piece from The Jackson Sun`s Dan Morris.

http://miva.jacksonsun.com/miva/cgi-bin/mi...200401075728348

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Often in Memphis, the publics are doing more recruiting of kids out of the eighth grade than the privates."

As VG, Baldcoach, and Ego (among others) would say:

PROVE IT, PROVE IT, PROVE IT. REPORT IT, REPORT IT, REPORT IT!!

I thought it wasn't nice to make allegations about recruiting unless you are willing to prove it and report it?

Whlie some others have lambasted you for diverting and such (as I have, but I long ago ate crow on that), the original issue was and still is the disadvantages that rural 1A's and 2A's face in competition with 1A/2A private schools in urban locales who dominate in multiple sports.

Granted, any change that helps the 1A/2A issue will effect every class unless there were to be a total split. Whether that effect is negative or positive is in the eye of the beholder. I see the multiplier within the confines of the Virginia plan as a legitimate attempt to address both issues in the best manner possible. Travel is helped by going to a 3 class regular season. The T$$AA keeps the money machine (the real issue) going with 8 state champs, and the rural 1A's with a .08 multiplier are spared the travesty of getting slaughtered on a regular basis by the privates. It also may be time to expand the classes a bit in other sports where possible. Some of the minor sports have grown enough to go to 3 classes, Instead of the A-AA, AAA two grouping.

As for a 2.0 or 1.5 multiplier.... Compromise with a 1.75 and be done with it for four years. They can always go back.

"Often in Memphis, the publics are doing more recruiting of kids out of the eighth grade than the privates."

PROVE IT, PROVE IT, PROVE IT. REPORT IT, REPORT IT, REPORT IT!!

I thought it wasn't nice to make allegations about recruiting unless you are willing to prove it and report it?

I can prove allegations if you want me to...I could care less though, I don't have a problem with any school whether public, private, or D2.

I know of one school, who has allowed a kid to leave their school and play at another Memphis City school without griping, only to secretly turn this school and player in to the TSSAA at the end of the year, in hopes of eliminating this team from region/ district play!

I will tell you of at least 5 to 6 high profile players that I know have transferred from school to school and I am sure that a few of them have had contact with various coaches which would be a violation of TSSAA rules...if you'd like for me to tell you these, just PM me, but I am not in the business of getting kids in trouble.

By the way CSense...I live in Memphis, and I believe what he is saying...you just go to some of the feeder public schools and it's basically a free for all. If you don't want to believe me that's fine, but I agree with what he is saying.

1A's and 2A's face in competition with 1A/2A private schools in urban locales who dominate in multiple sports.

This is a problem that crosses over in every class and varies among sports. Large rural schools have an advantaqe over large urban schools in baseball. There are exceptions, McGavock, Farragut, Germantown, but for the most part rural schools do better in some sports. Girls Basketball is another sport which is usually dominated by rural communities. This is an impossible problem to solve completely. Using multipliers for urban and rural would not level the playing field in all sports, it would be inconsistant from sport to sport. However, although using a multiplier for privates doesn't either, it may be the only solution to a problem that seems not to go away. It would seem to me that putting everone back together while using a multiplier, would be the best option. Yes, the private schools would dominate some of the individual type sports, tennis, golf, etc., but by expanding these sports into more classifications, it may give the the public schools a chance to compete, however unlikely. The bottem line is that the privates just put more emphasis on these type sports than do most publics. There are exceptions to this, but few and far between.

I know of one school, who has allowed a kid to leave their school and play at another Memphis City school without griping, only to secretly turn this school and player in to the TSSAA at the end of the year, in hopes of eliminating this team from region/ district play!

I will tell you of at least 5 to 6 high profile players that I know have transferred from school to school and I am sure that a few of them have had contact with various coaches which would be a violation of TSSAA rules...if you'd like for me to tell you these, just PM me, but I am not in the business of getting kids in trouble.

As I have said before, if the schools would monitor themselves and hold thier on administrators and coaches accountable, this would not be happening. It is the schools own responsibility to follow the rules. Its ashame that most schools only want to circumvent the rules instead of following the intent of the rule.

PROVE IT, PROVE IT, PROVE IT.  REPORT IT, REPORT IT, REPORT IT!!

I can prove allegations if you want me to...I could care less though, I don't have a problem with any school whether public, private, or D2.

By the way CSense...I live in Memphis, and I believe what he is saying...you just go to some of the feeder public schools and it's basically a free for all. If you don't want to believe me that's fine, but I agree with what he is saying.

Ego, I don't doubt for a bit recruiting goes on. I have seen it first hand myself. The comments were sarcastic because sometimes when public supporters accuse private DI schools of recruiting all you can here from most privates supporters are things like "prove it", "turn them in to the TSSAA". They refuse to admit or acknowledge that some DI private schools do indeed recruit.

Just like you know that some Memphis public schools recruit, I know that some DI private schools in the Chattanooga area recruit, but you will never get the private supporters (especially of those schools) to admit to it.

The issue isn't about who recruits or who doesn't, it is about why can't supporters of both sides admit that yes some private schools recruit and some public schools recruit and go to the next point.

Now, you say you believe that guy who says Memphis publics recruit, would you believe a public supporter who says that some DI privates recruit?

Now, you say you believe that guy who says Memphis publics recruit, would you believe a public supporter who says that some DI privates recruit?

of course. I could spill the beans about some D2 schools...and if I told the story it would be amazing how odd it sounds...how stupid a coach could be

Edited by TheEgoHasLanded

PROVE IT, PROVE IT, PROVE IT.  REPORT IT, REPORT IT, REPORT IT!!

The 2nd announced part of the Virginia plan should be to give Memphis to Arkansas or Mississippii or make them their own little bubble world. Everything in memphis is screwy!

of course. I could spill the beans about some D2 schools...and if I told the story it would be amazing how odd it sounds...how stupid a coach could be

Ego... I have always said that I know for a fact that some DI privates recruited in the past and I know for sure a few AA publics and AAAA publics recruit in metro areas. I think the real issue is all about individual and school character. Why should we expect kids to do what we say and not break the rules when we as teachers and coaches spend every waking hour trying to do just that, find a way to break the rules and not get caught. It doesn't matter what new rules we create, some people are still going to break them and when we try to enforce the rules we already have, the TSSAA is considered the bad guy. Since the first measure has now failed (December vote), I will push for a multiplier for true open zone schools, magnet schools, and all private schools in DI. This will help the tiny rural public schools and it should make some more interesting contests at the AA and AAA levels. I don't care about the Virginia Plan except I do like the idea of having 16 wildcard teams.