Is it alright for coaches to cuss their players

speedo

I know that a few coaches in our distict cuss their players and many others do also. I just don't think there is any place for that in the game. It would not make me play any better. What are you teaching the kids by cussing them? I was just wondering what some of your opions are?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ofcourse it is all right if a coach cussess a player. They are not playing chess or cricket. Sports and competition is about bringing out the very best in an individual player. You do that by whatever means are needed. If a player skin is so thin that he can't take some harsh words and use them to get better, than maybe they need to join the swim team.

I don't think cussing is alright outside of the locker room. In the locker room it can be motivational because it makes it more obvious to the players that their coach wants them to play better. Yes the point can be made without cussing, but I have had coaches in the past that used laguage and were very successful and a coach now that doesn't and we are still successful. If a player has a problem with a coach cussing he should say something...just my 2, prob more cents.

Behind closed doors, cussing your players is one appropriate way to get things across to a young arrogant teenager. I dont ever think the cussing should be about anything more than his play, but if used in that fashion, it is totally appropriate and if a player cant handle it then he needs to take up field hockey

Coaches in HIgh School are first of all teachers and for that reason I don't believe they should cuss. How would a parent feel if a classroom teacher cussed their kid to motivate them. I understand that kids should be motivated heck I coach middle school and yell alot but cussing has no place in motivation. I don't have a problem with college coaches doing because they are not classroom teachers plus they are coaching adults.

you keep saying if a kid can't take it, that's not the point, a kid shouldn't have to take it (cussing). how would or do you feel when someone cusses at you. not very good. a coach must get on his/her players sometimes but it can be done without abusive language. and that is what it is, abusive. it doesn't matter weither you're behind closed doors or not. kids aren't stupid. they know exactly when you are getting on them weither cuss words are used or not. maybe cussing is accepted more in other areas than here in east tennessee. i know on the football field it seems to be the norm. but that doesn't make it right. push kids, get on them, drive them to do their best, just don't put your hands on them or cuss them. a coach should set an example for his/her players. what happens if a players cusses on the court? technical, because it isn't accepted. there are many ways to get your point across to a kid. different ways for different players. if a kid has to be cussed to get their attention, then what does that say for the kid or the way he/her has been handled. motivate, teach, care for, get on them if needed, just don't cuss them. leave that for the ones that can't come up with anything better to say.

This is a real "old school", "new school", question. When I played ball pretty much all coaches did things that are not tolerated today. We never even thought to question them, it's just the way things were done. Today, I think that parents effect the game adversely, they empower their children to be prima donas, and talk back or quit at the drop of a hat. If a coach responds to this type of behavior the parent has the coach before an administrator with claims of abuse, mismanagement or having "cussed" their child. The coaches today are so hand-cuffed, it leads to frustration, and takes away some of the joy of coaching.

In more spacific response to your question, I think it really depends on what is being communicated by the coach. There a big difference between "son, get your d##n elbow in on your jump shot" and " son, I think you are a piece of s##t", don't you think?

Cussing does not motivate. The coaches tone and analogies are what really motivate kids. Anyone that thinks cussing, whether it be to HS, college, or pros, is appropriate is too lazy to actually think of how they can motivate their players.

I am not casting stones. The occaissional slip of the tongue will happen. But any coach that habitually cusses is weak, a poor example, and (imho) unworthy of being called a coach.

Also, last time I checked, swimming, chess, cricket, field hockey are either competitions or sports which can be very intense. People who play them are not weak, as some of you contend.