Is it alright for coaches to cuss their players

speedo

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stokomo,

You bring up alot of other issues, which just show what a complicated question this is. You talk about daughters, and I certainly think there is a different standard for girls than boys. To say that if a coach really cares about the kids then he will not curse is also too black and white. Up to a certain age I agree, but my college baseball coach cursed like a sailor, but loved his players, and was beloved by them back, more than any coach I've ever known. I don't encourage or condone cursing anymore than you, but I don't think it's as simple as many of you pretend it is.

Who cares if it's acceptable or unacceptable. Cussing only shows ingorance. If you cuss it's because you can't think of a better word to use.

And even more than that....

Athletics are an avenue for kids to grow as people. From teenagers to adults. Whether you believe it's right or not, cussing at people will not get you anywhere in the work place. So why bring these kids up with that mindset?

Well forget it..i guess I just think there's not point to it. Successful coaching can be achieved without it. Any of you familiar with the UTC Lady Mocs basketball team? Ask Wes Moore how much he cusses...

Mav....I'm not saying that they don't care about the kids. I stated that if they are in it for the kids. There is a fine line between cursing slipping out and general cursing whenever, haphazardly. You also said COLLEGE, these are groown adults. My college coach was one of my best coaches. He coached and cursed with a passion LOL. But I still respected him and still LOVE him. His cursing never motivated me. I motivate myself. A player that has love for the game will motivate himself to do better, correct mistakes, and give his all for the love of the game. A player with no passion will not give the effort, whether a coach uses foul language or not. :D

I was cussed as a jr high player -high school player and the first part of my college career and I dont know if it motivated me or just made me try harder because they scared the crap out of me. There is a time and a place for everything-time place-cause!!!!!!!I was asked at a interview did i cuss my players--My classic response is and was no but i am willing to learn take that buck van huss jr---

In all honesty most high school varsity players do in fact cuss and so do most coaches even if on rare occasions, but as a former player being cussed out does not help, but using cuss words in the locker room to get the players hyped is a 'good' way to cuss if there is such a thing, and i dont mean using words like F, or sh, just the less serious like da or hel

John Wooden quote:

"For whatever reasons, I learned something that has stayed with me to this very day and has been very important to me throughout my life: control your temper and don't use profanity."

Probably the one of the greatest (if not the greatest) coach to live - John Wooden!

As for cussing - obviously it is wrong!

As for yelling?? I agree with Wooden - you don't motivate young men by losing your temper in front of crowd, acting like idiot, yelling or swatting a young man in the pants in front of his peers (which I have being seeing alot of lately) - it just doesn't work!! If you take care of business in practice and prepare your players it is just unnecessary.

Edited by johnwoodendisciple

obviously not many of the people making posts on this thread have played football or basketball. Because if they have and have more than likely had a coach that cussed, I know it motivated the crap out of me when a coach got in my grill yelling and hollering......and yes if it is used every other word it has lost its purpose, but it is definatly a motavational tool that should not be taken offence to if used correctly.