Is it alright for coaches to cuss their players

speedo

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you have ever been cursed by coach gatewood or coach davis on the ooltewah football feild, it will not only motivate you but scare you straight, and I dont understand what god has to do with this oldtimeballer??? please explain. I didnt think this was a religion posting site

God has a lot to do with this subject. No, this is not a "religion posting site" -- but it's about time people stand up against taking the name of the Lord in vain (as many coaches and players do).

Back in my day -- we had coaches who were great instructors of the game -- and guess what -- they didn't have to cuss their players to motivate them to win. It is sad to think that anyone has to use profanity in order to get someone to do something they want them to accomplish.

Everyone doesn't have to be like a Bobby Knight. Think about Tom Landry, who won 2 Super Bowls with the Cowboys without having to cuss his players out.

Or how about John Wooden. Throughout his career Wooden, who led UCLA to 10 national championships, showed respect for his players, for the fans, and for the officials. In all his years as coach, John Wooden prohibited his players from any use of profanity, and consistently avoided it himself.

Well, I guess he wasn't much of a coach, was he?

Oh, by the way, we have a great coach right here in Chattanooga by the name of Dan Wadley that has won the last two Class A Basketball Championships at Temple without using profanity with players.

Something to think about, isn't it?

Edited by oldtimeballer63

all of you people are wrong. i believe the coach should cuss their players out if they do not see the effort from them in the game. you have to get their attention somehow, and if you just say some crap like "it's ok" or "your not doing a good job" is not enough to motivate someone. i know for a fact you couldn't motivate me without putting a few bad words in my ear.

it is a sad day when a coach has to stoop that low to cuss, the problem does not need to go before school board members, this problem needs to stop at thetop dog of the school. if he wants to ignore this problem, then it is just one person who can stop this .the director of schools,he can remove the princpal and put someone in there who will stop this kind of behavior once and for all. and this needs to happened because these are tenagers not adults SO STOP THE CUSSING!

No everyone doesn't have to be like Bobby Knight, but Bobby Knight is out there, and so is Bill Parcells, and so was Vince Lombardi and so was Earl Weaver and Casey Stengal, anybody think they weren't great coaches.

I didn't say any of those guys weren't or aren't good coaches, but I still don't think you need to use profanity to coach anyone. Just because those guys do it doesn't make it right, nor does it mean you have to follow their example to be a good coach. The bottom line is -- what is morally and decently right. I still believe there ought to be some rules and regulations when it comes to coaching our young people.

oldtime,

That's the whole point! Coaches are ruled and regulated to the point where they can't sneeze without some parent running them to an administrator for deliberately spreading germs on their precious baby. In theory the no cursing rule is fine, of course none of us prefer cursing. In practcality it is just another way for parent to try and have control over the team that their child plays on, even though they know little to nothing about the sport. That's also what this thread is about, "let me get some support for my no cussing stance and promote a black and white no cussing policy which doesn't care what words were said or in what context". It's all so stupid.

oldtime,

That's the whole point! Coaches are ruled and regulated to the point where they can't sneeze without some parent running them to an administrator for deliberately spreading germs on their precious baby. In theory the no cursing rule is fine, of course none of us prefer cursing. In practcality it is just another way for parent to try and have control over the team that their child plays on, even though they know little to nothing about the sport. That's also what this thread is about, "let me get some support for my no cussing stance and promote a black and white no cussing policy which doesn't care what words were said or in what context". It's all so stupid.

I don't believe it's about the parents wanting control at all. I also tend to believe that many of the parents do know as much or more about the game than many of the coaches. Yes, my experience as a coach has been that there are some parents who do want to control things (usually wanting their kid to get PT) and yes, there are many who don't have a clue about the game, but when it comes to subjecting kids to vulgar and indecent language -- it is the parents right to confront and complain to the coaches (or administration) for their wrongful reactions and actions, and it is our responsibilty as coaches to treat our young people in a decent and encouraging way. And by the way, they are our "precious' babies -- and no, it is not stupid to enforce a no cussing policy.