Should a Coach Discuss Playing Time..

CoachT

Being a coach and a parent, I feel as though I have a pretty good perspective on this issue. I will not discuss playing time with an irate parent. I will however be very frank about playing time if they ask in a respectful and calm manner. I don't pull any punches and will be 100% truthful with all of the facts.

On the other hand when my boys complain about playing time, my answer is short and to the point; "If you want to play more, ask the coach what you need to do to improve, then go do it. Don't complain to me, it's not my game."

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that parents can hurt a childs playing time. The child's gift will make room for him no matter what the situation is. If there is a problem and you think your child is good enough to play or get a scholarship, then transfer him/her. Its has been several incidents of politics, personal vendettas, and over envolved parents getting in the way of our young kids futures. We all know that if little Johnny's dad is on the school board, a very $influentual$ part of the town, or booster, then Johnny is going to play more that little David. Im not saying this is done everywhere, because its not. When it comes to job security then most will do what ever it takes to keep our jobs. If it means giving little Johnny a few minutes to keep his daddys mouth shut then so be it. Who does that affect you may ask?? It affects the kid who has more talent, that deserves those minutes. Is that fair to him? Is it even fair to the team? It's then when parents get emotional about their kids, and ask why. If coaches will take the time and communicate wtih their players, define roles and expectations with all the players,(even the last man on the bench) that will eliminate most of the problem.

I agree with coacht, you are hardly ever going to please a parent of a child who doesn't get to play much. The kids 9 times out fo 10 understand but most parents don't. I have found that if you have a meeting with the parents and tell them what is going on tell them what you will and will not take or listen too. Then during the season if they want to argue about something you can remind them of the preseason meeting and remind them as well that if they dont like the way you do things they can take their child else where, end of story.

Well, there you have it!! Pennyplay just made the most profound statement on this particular thread. I hope that parents and fans alike are looking at this. Please make copies and send them to others.

I know that parents love their children and try to do what's best for them. But, if a kid who is on the team has an honest coach, then he already knows why he is or is not getting playing time. Many kids don't want to discuss playing time with their own parents because they know what they would do....go talk to the coach about it and therefore get embarassed.

GREAT POST PENNY!!!! :D

CoachT and Coach15, I agree that you cannot please parents all the time. But my experience with over 20 years of coaching from 5 year olds to high school players has always been that good, solid relationships with parents, that include open and honest communication about what I am doing has been the best practice.

Parents have always expressed an appreciation for my openness: about our plans; our goals; our playing time; our needs; and their ability to attend practice anytime. I have always conducted an open program, with communication being the key. I believe good relationships are extremely important when it comes to a successful program, especially with the parents. The key to the success of these kids is when the parents are an active part of the program.

I do believe that they must understand that regardless of their input, it is up to me, the coach, to make the final decision. But I must say that many times parents have contributed some of the best ideas.

A parent just like a kid , knows when the man in front of him is better. Some kids are on the team for practice purposes. Is that fair to the kid, I say yes it is fair if that kid gets an opportunity to play but only if he has improved enough to play. I've known some coaches who will not let a kid play even if he is good enough to play. Parents should stay out of the way on playing time issues. If that kid has improved enough to play, go to to the coach and ask him if there are some dicipline problems. If not, take your kid somewhere else to play if possible. Take him to a rival school or a school in that same district and see how he fairs against his former players. Two things can happen. The former coach will be glad the kid is gone or if he stays around and be patient, he and the coach and parents will be glad he stayed. Sometimes you have to be patient and wait it out. Parents stay out of the way, If that coach is not ultra stupid, you kid will play.

Edited by storm

basketballisbest, being open and honest with parents is the best thing to do. but the problem with that is sometimes the parents don't want you to honest and open they just want their kid to play. those parents who have played sports in the past are normally a whole lot more easier to deal with than those who have never played. i use the word normally because that is not always the case.

basketballisbest:

Your way is fine because it is your way. I may have given a blanket statement that it has to be a certain way but it is actually based on the personality of the coach. If you can be that open and get the results you want then do it. Thankfully we all have different personalties that guide the way we coach and are not all stamped out of the same mold.

personally i have a problem with lying coaches. the school i go to the coach believes that because someone is a senior that they should start. we have a junior and a sophmore that play the same position as the senior and both average more points than he does in less minutes. i talked to the 10th grader this happened to and he talked to the coach about it and they just said that the senior player was "getting the job done" when really the team would be winning more games with out him.