5th Issue of TNRANKINGS

tnranker

WVol, I apologize for not being clearer and more concise in my post. I was attempting to be supportive of those coaches who did not enter full teams in the tournament, supportive of their decisions to not enter a JV in a slot that a varsity could not fill for whatever reason. I was trying to say that the coach is in the best position to decide on this kind of action based on his understanding of what is best for his program. It was not my intent to imply that a coach should never be questioned on any action (successful or otherwise).

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tex - as stated earlier, my example is not McCallie. As for whether I like anything or not concerning any of my children, I would think that taking my concerns directly to the decision makers would be much more productive then attempting to air complaints on a message board, don't you? Your attempting to read between the lines and there's nothing there. I like my son's chances at several weight classes. The questions I'm asking are hypothetical, for discussion purposes only. "Are you okay with your son being placed where ever is best for the team according to the coach for the traditional tournament?" How do you answer this question concerning your own son?

Bayou - interesting point, well stated. So if Bryant got injured and the coach told Justin that he would have to wrestle the rest of the year at 171 you would be alright with that because you consider it the same as the football coach selecting who plays at which position? You may have the majority opinion on the matter. What was that quote from VisonQuest; "I've got news for you Otto, wrestling's not a team sport. You walk out on that mat alone."

delaWarr - my apologies for not reading your post correctly. Do you have any thoughts on our misdirection?

Interesting discussion.

Walkevol,

fair question for you to turn around and ask me. I will answer. I think I would have a problem with it if my son's best chance were in a particular weight class and he was asked to wrestle in a weight class where the chances seemed more difficult. The reason I might have that problem is that an individual (traditional) championship recognizes the accomplishiment of that particular wrestler and who knows how many chances he might get to go as far as he can.

It is a tough question though.

Also, saying it is hypothetical and being that way does not always work on here. I am challenging your statement, but you have read the comments on here and I think you know what I mean.

Good luck to your son in the traditional tournament and I hope he goes the weight that he wants to wrestle.

matfan,

Here is the actual ruling on weight certification:

1. In order to enter the regional wrestling tournament a participant must certify prior to Jan.

15 in the weight class or a weight class below the one in which he enters the tournament.

After certification, a wrestler may not weigh in more than one weight class above the

weight of certification without recertifying at the higher weight.

2. Certification must take place at scratch weight without any additional pounds as a result

of consecutive days of competition.

3. Certification may be done in any meet or invitational tournament in which the wrestler’s

team is participating and must be filed with the state office.

4. A wrestler must weigh-in in at least one-half of his dates during the season at the weight

class or weight classes below the one at which he will enter the regional tournament.

So a wrestler only needs to weigh in for 1/2 of his matches at that weight class. He could actually wrestle 145 all season long and then enter the regional tournament at 140. If he weighed in at 140 1/2 of the season.

I contend that there are some unaceptable actions that make a bad coach regardless of the win/loss record in wrestling or any sport.

- don't strike the players

- don't curse the players

- don't berate or belittle the players in front of their teammates

- don't cheat; follow the rules to the letter of the law, take the higher road

- don't allow outside politics to influence playing time or position

Now Sly, if legman did any of these things above (I'm sure he doesn't) would you still support him solely because he was the coach? Your younger son is growing and apparantly have trouble making 105. What if legman told him that if he didn't make it for the rest of this season he was off the team permanently? What if legman decided there were no longer going to be wrestle offs to determine the Bradley lineup, that he would tell you where you were allowed to wrestle? What if the coach did like John Smith has at Ok St? Would you still remain supportive?

Walkenvol,

Did you read the Times-FreePress article today by David Jenkins, titled "Challenge matches keep teammates on their toes".

Interesting article in that it kind of mirrors some of the comments you brought up in you post earlier on this thread.

Great article, by the way. Time-FreePress did a good job this morning.

Messenger,

It's not inuendo walkenvol said it. In fact thats why I brought walkenvol's previous post back up. Read the Chattanooga Times/Free Press and McCallie's coach was quoted regarding this. It seems to be what walkenvol was talking about in his earlier post. That's all.

I'm just waiting for walkenvol to comment.

Edited by texas23

tex - yes, I read the times. Great day of wrestling coverage and quite ironic with the article concerning the same topic we have been discussing. I thought that what I had heard folks saying this season about the differences from program to program would make interesting discussion. Obviously, the paper thought the same. Maybe I should apply for a job there? Looks like Baylor had a good idea by publishing their polocy to avoid confusion.

As for your other questions, they are all repeats that I have already answered.

Even If McCallie does do this why are you so concerned tex?--As Ive said in other threads, Gordon is God in coaching here at McCallie and walkenvols son can deal with whatever he has to deal with quite capably. Give it a rest. Walkenvol does not need to respond to your inuendos. I take him at his word. So should you.

Edited by themessenger