5th Issue of TNRANKINGS

tnranker

Texas, I dont know if this is what walkenvol is referring to but I do know his son has moved up for the good of the team. Witness what we did to Baylor with the adjustments. His son is an outstanding wrestler and can go up a weight and not only compete, but dominate most opponents. Walkenvol if this is not what you were referring to my apologies for chiming in.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

themessenger - your apology accepted, I'm not referring to my son - he does not have an older brother and has never lost a wrestle off.

tex - I have no interest in "outing" anyone, but the 2 high schools involved in my examples are both well known and respected TN high schools but neither is McCallie or Bradley. Delawarr inferred that successful coaches are above question from parents/fans. I think the 2 instances stated are deplorable and an embarassment to both programs. IMHO the integrity of the wrestle off procedure is one of the corner stones of the sport. If your at one of those schools and it happened to one of your son's teammates and you didn't take a stand because it didn't directly affect your son, then shame on you.

Walkenvol,

Let me apologize before I even make this remark. It is not intended to make you angry.

If it is shame you who ever witnessed on know about the situation, why is it not shame on you (walkenvol) for not addressing it as well?

If it is deplorable and worse, do you not take it seriously enough that you would, "out them". I do not mean on this public board, I mean in the proper channels.

Tex - not angry at all. I don't think that the coach, athletic dir, or principle of a school that my children don't attend would be interested in my thoughts on how they operate. Is there some other "proper channel" to which you refer? I'm an involved parent at all my children's schools, and the very few times something has occured there that I felt was not up to the high standard where they typically operate, I do voice my concerns. My experience is that it usually falls on deaf ears, but they need to hear it anyway. Quiet acceptance infers consent.

Thank you for the interesting discussion.

Glad you took it the way it was intended. To answer the proper channel question, let me try.

Since I am not sure exactly how you know what you know it makes it more difficult. Either you witnessed this event or someone who does have a stake in the event did. The proper channel in that case might be to give some sound advice regarding how you might handle it were it in your schools sports program, along with why you felt it should be addressed and not let to slid by. Just telling someone to do something without sound motivation to do typically will not do. In the case we are discussing, "deplorable" seems to warrant this type of effort to get the "right" thing done or at least looked into by the powers at that particular school.

Another channel, would be a letter written to the AD, School super, etc. and state the concerns that you are aware of. Tell the story, stay anonymous.

I can think of others, but I think you get my point.

You could impact the things that are deplorable without having your children involved in the program.

Division II Rankings

103-

1. Thomas Shrbakoff (Webb)

2. Hoa Hoang (K. Cathlic)

3. Ben Bellett (MBA)

4. Reed Doster (Baylor)

5. Jay Adamson (Notre Dame)

6. Tyler Schoettle (Ryan)

John Micheal Simpson has gone at 103 for MBA for most of the year. Does Schoettle deserve some props for winning @ Soddy? It wasn't even close>

Irishdad:

No, he does not deserve any props. 103 was the weakest weight class in the whole tournament and should not be used as a criteria for rankings.

Tex - did the 1st and will think on the 2nd.

My point of discussion was to solicit opinions as to what makes a good coach and if other folks thought that the coaches are to be viewed as "god" with ultimate authority concerning the programs. I don't know if I've met the coach who doesn't feel this way regardless of the sport / school - D1 or D2. Should the coaches be held to certain basic standards or should they be free to set / change polocy at their pleasure?

The coach at the different school wouldn't allow the older brother the opportunity to wrestle off at his weight of choice, dictating that he wrestle heavier. Obviously, this compromised his finish at the individual state tourney. When younger son comes along, Mom and Dad say no way and send him to a different school, do you blame them? I know another program right now where they allow a heavier wrestler who is cutting weight to wresle off with another wrestler who is under the top of the weight class.

by the way,,,,,from your post earlier in this thread, does any of this sound familiar?

What I mean is, will it effect the traditional tournament chances of your son if the coach decides who goes to which weight class? Or will your son have the chance to decide where he wants to challenge for a spot that provides the best chance for him to advance the furthest in the traditional tournament? I am not asking what weight, so that you can answer without giving up "mystery" strategy.

I know the Tornado will move all over the place for the duals, which is good strategy.

Are you okay with your son being placed where ever is best for the team according to the coach for the traditional tournament?

Interesting question Walkenvol. I'll kick in my two cents.

A coach of any sport must meet a certain criteria of conduct. No hitting, etc.,etc.

BUT...

Wrestling is a sport just like football, baseball or basketball. If my sons were 7 feet tall and riding the bench in basketball, what are my choices as a parent?

-Talk to the coach and convince him he is making a mistake.

-Live with it.

-Transfer to another school.

Why should wrestling be any different? A coach should be allowed to do anything he wants to the lineup. There are no and should not be any rules governing this. Is it standard practice or acceptable to me? OF COURSE NOT!!! But a football coach can play anybody he wants, wherever he wants and whenever he wants.

Wrestling coaches should be allowed the same latitude if that is how they choose to run their program. Would either of my sons wrestle in that environment? I honestly can't say. Probably not. But when you start defining how a coach can coach then what is the point of having a coach? First the wrestle off procedure is defined and before you know it someone will be petitioning the TSSAA to stop Bradley from riding legs.

I may not agree with a coach on how he coaches but I will defend his right to coach.