5th Issue of TNRANKINGS

tnranker

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has Tim Pease(Clarksville) and Paul Campbell(Soddy Daisy) at 189 wrestled yet? If so who won? If not what is the reasoning for Tim having the number one ranking? I've had the oppertunity to wrestle both wrestlers and Campell just seem like alot better wreslter. Not to take anything away from Tim because he and Campbell have both beaten me. However Campbell is just alot stronger and faster than Tim happens to be. Good luck to both wrestlers at state this year in DI.

Mr. BayouBear, I agree with your post. There really is not way to rank them all, especially Baylor/Father Ryan or Father Ryan/McCallie. Father Ryan hasn't really wrestled any in-state competition yet. While they haven't done anything to earn a better ranking, they also haven't done anything to go down in the rankings. Baylor lost to McCallie, so that sends them down. McCallie lost to Baylor, so that sends them up. For that reason, I stick Father Ryan between them. Soddy has lost to Baylor and McCallie. The only argument might be that they should be ahead of Father Ryan, but I don't think that works as well as making McCallie, Father Ryan, and Baylor the 2, 3, and 4 teams. That's just how I see it.

It seems that the rankings are some what based on tournament scores. We have wrestled in Ohio twice placing 5th and 3rd. Going against teams , i was told, were ranked in the top 20 nationally. We had 3rd at Mccallie being edged by Baylor and Brother Martin, and 2nd at Christian Bros by beating St. Paul and Helias. First at FRHS inv. Lost Soddy by a half point and we are undefeated in individuals matches. And you say we have not wrestled any instate competiton. I believe the caliber of teams we have wrestled would give any TN team a run for their money. I mean that is why we travel to Ohio to get the best competiton we can.

Tex - Moore at 275 was taking his SAT's. Wheeler at 112 was ill. No 160 since both Scott and Blair dropped weight classes to take advantage of the 4 pound weight allowance (2 growth + 2 add) to qualify for the senior nationals. There is only one 103 in the room, and he is trying to get healthy. If you review Coach Henry's post last week concerning his tourney, I think you might understand his vision for the Soddy tourney. Coach Blair stated that they only brought half a team, because those were the healthy ones who would benefit from the competition. S/D held out their 145 pounder due to sore ribs. I'll bet he would have gone had it been the state duals.

Sly - I really don't have any special insight into the McCallie progam other then I see all their matches. Coach Connell doesn't share his thoughts with me on why he does what he does. Heck, I would guess that he's looking forward to the day that I'm gone.

I'm sure that every program envies the depth of wrestlers Bradley has enjoyed during their years of success (your efforts have been a huge part of that). When a great one graduates, you guys open the stable doors and another top notch competitor enters. As I've stated many times before, it has been my observation that McCallie forfeits when they don't have a healthy wrestler in the weight class prepared to compete. Unlike yourself, I don't support anything the coaches do simply because they are the coaches but I do support what I've seen concerning forfeits the last 4 years. Occationally, when they have forfeited there was a wrestler weighed in but not prepared to compete. If I were the coach, I would not send out a novice wrestler to face a Quinn Gibson caliber wrestler unless they were an exceptional athlete. From prior posts on this board, this is obviously a minority point of view. I've never discussed this with Coach Connell but one can assume from his actions that he feels the same.

Bayou - like yourself, I'm still waiting for any official to enforce the coaches behavior rule. Nothing has come from all the big talk at the start of the season. It is interesting however that you are looking forward to observing the behavior of the D2 coaches when you have one of the most animated staffs going. IMHO, if the coaches aren't degrading/cursing the officials and aren't repeatedly stopping the action by going to the table, I don't see the problem. It adds some flavor to the atmosphere.

5 of the top 7 ranked schools are from DII. This should tell us something about the difficulty of DII state this year. It is really doing TN wrestling a disservice by not only keeping the divisions separate, but also by not allowing TN to have some sort of ALL STAR match after both the states. But the TSSAA won't allow it. I wish someone from the TSSAA would give me a good, and I stress GOOD reason.

Walkenvol,

Thanks for the details, I did not know them before reading you post.

An observation that was made by another posted was that there was some kind of mystery stategy being deployed by McCallie. Do you agree with that? Or is that a bunch of hype for people who do not know?

Tex - As I stated before, Connell doesn't share any of his thoughts or insights with me. If he's working some voodoo majic, it's a mystery to me also. Like most of the high school coaches, he follows this board - ask him. And no Soms, I won't tell you his screen name, you'll have to figure that out yourself. Regardless of the facts, most people believe whatever they want to believe.

walkenvol, Thanks for responding. However I must correct your assumpution that I always agree with the coach because he's the coach. If and when I'm asked my opinion on any issue I'll give it, but its only my opinion and the coach will do what he thinks is best for the team and I respect and support the coach's decisions. He really doesn't need my help. He does a great job by himself.

As far as McCallie's decision not to wrestle the younger wrestlers at Soddy that is the coaches call too. My opinion on that is the younger wrestlers could have recieved some valuable experience against some good wrestlers.(Not all the wrestlers there were of the same status of Quinn Gibson). Good luck to your son and McCallie the rest of the season.