QB Corey Russell comitts to Tusculum

Max2Max

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did he want to stay close to home or were there grade problems, or did he just like the school? I saw lists that put him higher than Division II.

I can't answer the personal questions about Russell, but division II ain't what it used to be. Many DII teams like Tusculum and Carson-Newman can play with most any D-IAA team in the nation, so unless he was being recruited by the big D-IA teams I wouldn't necessarily say he was higher than a Tusculum.

Wow! That makes the second very good QB Frankie Debusk has signed in two years. Cody Baugh last year, and Cory this year. Things are certainly looking up at Tusculum!

ie3, you are right about coach Debusk being loaded at QB. He has both starters back in a two QB system, and in addition to Cody Baugh, and Russell, and if i'm not mistaken another freshman committment that is highly regarded.

All these and he almost had M-East QB Jared Palazolla, before Palazolla committed to Concord College about 10 days ago or so. I don't know if you saw Palazolla play or not but he in my opinion has more upside than any QB that I've seen in this area. He didn't play football until his junior year, so his best football is still ahead of him, he has legit 4.5 speed in the 40, a very stong arm, and he came very close to totally rewriting the East single season passing and total yards records despite missing the last game of the season with an injury. The only drawback most colleges had with him was his size and since he gave up basketball and has concentrated on the weight room, he has added about 20 pounds to his 6'2" frame and is now 185 to 190 pounds.

Fanatic I agree the Tusculums of the world are really playing good quality football, and am glad to see them getting players like Baugh and Russell. If you watch the NFL draft you may see a Tusculum player drafted in the first or second round this year so they do fall through the cracks of the big boys.

Did he want to stay close to home or were there grade problems, or did he just like the school? I saw lists that put him higher than Division II.

Corey was being recruited at the D-1 and 1-AA level, but he said that a lot of those schools were giving him the run around and he was tired of playing that game. Coach Brock and Coach DeBusk have been in contact with Corey all along. He said their commitment to him along with the type of football Tusculum is beginning to play (like Fanatic mentioned) won him over. Could end up being a very smart move on his part.

I'll have to take you word on Lowe King, I didn't get to see him play in high school. Hopefully, I'll get to see him play at TC. I think TC's biggest need right now is at OL, but they are working to solve that one. Should see some "big" things in the next few days.