greenbrier at mlk

Brier Boyz

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess another boring win for the MLK team. Really though MLK will shoot more ft's than Greenbrier because of the type of team they are. Greenbrier isn't a team that is gonna take it all the way much, they are a jump shooting team and when you have a team that just shoots mainly jumpers your not gonna go to the line much. Plus MLK is quicker than Greenbrier so they were probably able to beat them off the dribble quite a bit and that is what I'm sure gave them all the ft attempts. Greenbrier is still a very dangerous team because when they get rolling from the perimeter they can be very tough to beat and MLK, well they are just MLK. Its an every year thing with this team. They were a little down last year but everyone knew that Coach Shelton would have them back. I know everyone is saying that its a fluke for them to be undefeated in the district and that they are not that good. Well their record speaks for themselves. They've beaten everybody in the district once and several of them twice. Plus their tough non conference schedule really helped them get ready for the demands of playing in this district which I think is probably up and down the best district in the state pretty much year in and year out.

I'm not one to usualy even comment on this but I do have to agree that the Greenbrier / MLK game was one of the biggest jokes for officiating that I've seen. One ref blew his whistle so much that he probably needed oxygen on the way home and the other two could have sat on the sideline and done more. The way that they allowed MLK to continue with the walking and double dribbling in the girls game made the game look like a junior pro game.

Of course it was entertaining to watch Doc give a couple of the refs hugs before the game started..... :lol:

I will add one more just for kicks......The official that you are talking about that blew his whistle constantly (and gave Doc a hug) is the same official that told the Greenbrier players to stop boxing out......that he was going to continue to call that a foul.

There were no over the back calls the entire game. Each time Greenbrier would box out and a MLK player would be riding his back....the foul went against Greenbrier.

Like I said earlier, MLK has solid team and deserved to win. Greenbrier didn't get it done on the offensive end. Frustration set in early when some starters had to sit in the first half due to the obvious bad calls. Theses calls continued in the second half....then they had to sit for good.

In my personal opinion that is solely based on my personal observance from the last few years.... Doc thinks that he's at a different level than most other coaches and he thinks that anything that he does is the just fine and also the best way to do it. He has all of his little habits like the time outs after the first possession and having his players all sit down in front of him like it's story time. Most people seem to think it's funny. The pressure he puts on the players could also be an issue. One mistake and you're on the bench. Sometimes the mistakes aren't even they're fault but the automatically turn and head for the bench. You can see the disgust in their faces as the sit down. Don't get me wrong, I love a good, stern coach that'll jump in some ones face and lay the law when needed but it seems that he does it because they didn't do what "the Doc" had commanded. You have to give them credit because they win but I would have to believe that these guys would still win without docs little escapades.

I know this is long but read it because it's the truth.

In any other badly officiated game and if I was on the losing team I would not blame the officials and just say we should have played how the refs were calling it.

Plus, if I was on the winning team and the refs were bad enough to comment on I would because the refs would have made bad calls against both teams.

But neither one is going to happen here. The refs were the worst I have seen since my coach got thrown out of the game when I was like 5. The only half-way consistent ref blew his whistle about 5 times the whole game. The ref that called everything was out for us this game. He got frustrated with our coach more than our coach was frustrated with him and believe me, he was mad. He has never blamed the game on the refs since I've known him but he definitely brought it up last night. This ref wouldn't call a single walk, illegal screen, foul, or anything; he was more worried about our coach asking him what we were doing wrong and MLK was doing right. Sitting on the bench, I heard every thing that was said and no matter what GHS was wrong and MLK was right(MLK has a good team but not perfect). The ref actually told us that we couldn't push back when boxing someone out, we had to get position and if the guy tryed to go around us we "couldn't move around to keep him behind us". One time our post went to post up running across the lane and "tried to knock him out of the paint to get position and did it too hard" so they called a foul. There were so many more things he said that I can't remember like walks and illegal screens. Right after half time he told our coach he was "tired of hearing him complain and wasn't going to take in the second half".

Also, MLK's players are good guys from what I know but their coach is nowhere near sportsmanlike. He made racial comments during the game and talked about how his team "let our sorry team get a rebound". And one small thing that doesn't matter now but since we got to the gym early the Whites Creek coaches gave us a nice,big locker room. At about the second quarter of the girls game the Whites Creek coaches came and got us. When we went to our locker room the MLK players were sitting in there and we were told to get our stuff and move to a dif. one which didn't matter until we saw that our new locker "room" was the size of the bathroom stalls. I'm not sure if the players had anything to do with that, but since their coach thinks he and his team is better than everyone else they can have whatever thay want. Again, I don't blame the players and I'm glad the Whites Creek coaches asked nicely but that is a sign of total disrespect to our team(if everything I said is correct). Plus, "Doc" never talked to our coaches and never got in line to shake our hands after the game. Totally classless!!!

Not saying we would have won the game if we had good refs because they are a good team but the refs made us look bad and made MLK look perfect. I do hope we meet them late in the tourny with some good refs to make it a better game.

Edited by catsbball1