AP Poll

texas23

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I get it texas23, you're trying to make a point that Coach Connell doesn't prepare his lineup the way you would. But as every good Bradley fan reacts when questioned about why the Legman won't let his boys wrestle Baylor or McCallie, "It aint none a your business, by God!" Seems to work for the Legman.

uncfan13,

I have no problem with the McCallie coach doing what ever he thinks prepares his team best to achieve their goals. I was responding to the post that made an statement about preparing the number 1 team and D2 schools.

I used McCallie as an example because I think there is a track record there in regards to what kind of McCallie team might show up. What ever line up the McCallie coach thinks is best for them, no problem, that's his job and he seems to get a pretty darn good result. But my comment was about preparing the Bradley team.

The rest of you statement has been addressed by someone else.

I know this is none of my business ... but why is Coach Logsdon retiring after this season? It seems like he is leaving the cupboard full and could stay and win several more state titles. I'm just a curious wrestling fan.

Coach Logsdon had planned to "retire" from coaching 2 years ago, but he will continue to teach at Bradley. Coach Logsdon's wife coaches basketball and his oldest daughter plays basketball. He wanted to be able to attend their games and take care of his youngest daughter. He also wanted to continue his education as well and get his Master's. His family, job, and school will keep him busy but don't think that he won't still be involved with the Bradley wrestling program. Coach Logsdon is a "fitness freak" when he's not on the mat he's running, biking or swimming. He will practice with the team as much as he can and he will attend as many matches as he can. I don't mean to speak for Coach Logsdon but what I'm saying he has told me personally.

Hey Sommers are you the official spokesman for BC? I believe Coach Logsdon can address these questions if he chooses to. I don't think you have a dog in this fight.

My info comes from fairly reliable sources. I consider Steve a good friend that I admire for what he has done and accomplished. Unlike me, he is a man of few words, perhaps another trait I should admire enough to emulate.

Anyone who has known me through the years, as Steve has, knows I have a mouth, and many times,,, way too BIG with my opinions.

soms

BC is not going to take on teams they feel aggressively recruits (or "have" recruited) wrestlers other D1 programs have developed.

It's sort of like our government taxing a percentage of every dollar once, i.e., young talent, and again once the remainder of that dollar matures in savings it is taxed again as income, and again when used to purchase and one more time when the purchased item is willed to their children. Then these same dollars are used to provide income to others not willing to put forth the work to develop their own skills, i.e., young wrestlers, and provide a good living (or success) for themselves. This can be frustrating if one should take inventory of their losses to the advantage of others.

Should a % the hard work (investment) of a coach be taken each year by the private schools and then used to work against them?

When I was at Hixson years ago we lost half of our stud wrestlers and football players to private schools. I, nor my brothers were not a part of this exodus obviously (usually the red 1st and the blue 2nd benefited from Wildcat talent then). A couple of years before, Gordon was fortunate to keep the Tom Popp's, Randy Batten's and others to become the #1 team,,, with ALL SCHOOLS (public or private) involved in the mid-seventies.

I'm not sure how much of that happens today, but it has made a few coaches angry as certain key investments were tapped into like Uncle Sam.

soms

Sommers,

Let me say I apologize for having fun with you, but it is a slow day at the chicken house and I have nothing better to do now that the feed has been spread out.

But I am wondering if you work for Arthur Andersen and you gave advice to the Enron guys on their off the balance sheet companies??

Great analogy, and I am only kidding with you.

BC is not going to take on teams they feel aggressively recruits (or "have" recruited) wrestlers other D1 programs have developed. 

It's sort of like our government taxing a percentage of every dollar once, i.e., young talent, and again once the remainder of that dollar matures in savings it is taxed again as income, and again when used to purchase and one more time when the purchased item is willed to their children.  Then these same dollars are used to provide income to others not willing to put forth the work to develop their own skills, i.e., young wrestlers, and provide a good living (or success)  for themselves.  This can be frustrating if one should take inventory of their losses to the advantage of others.

Should a % the hard work (investment) of a coach be taken each year by the private schools and then used to work against them? 

When I was at Hixson years ago we lost half of our stud wrestlers and football players to private schools. I, nor my brothers were not a part of this exodus obviously (usually the red 1st and the blue 2nd benefited from Wildcat talent then).  A couple of years before, Gordon was fortunate to keep the Tom Popp's, Randy Batten's and others to become the #1 team,,, with ALL SCHOOLS (public or private) involved in the mid-seventies.

I'm not sure how much of that happens today, but it has made a few coaches angry as certain key investments were tapped into like Uncle Sam.

soms

Sommers,

Let me say I apologize for having fun with you, but it is a slow day at the chicken house and I have nothing better to do now that the feed has been spread out.

But I am wondering if you work for Arthur Andersen and you gave advice to the Enron guys on their off the balance sheet companies??

Great analogy, and I am only kidding with you.

Naahh, I think that advice came from a few Baylor and McCallie Grads. Oh, and perhaps an old Hixson grad that turned down Baylor,,, Pat Murphy.

Just kidding Pat.

Soms

ok, i'll ask. why doesn't bradley, mccallie and baylor ever get it on? left side d1's and d'2's do and it could only help the sport in other parts of the state if they would? by the way, i don't have a dog in the fight but why? when someone answers, i'll speculate on their reason.

I think the answer is quite simple, McCallie and Baylor are not on their schedule. As to why this is so, it is all speculation. Yes, there are lots of people out there that would love to see this match-up. We would also have liked to see LSU vs USC play in football but that wasn't on the schedule either. All the above teams schedule tough competition with common opponents. Yes, I can see that the above matches would be good for the sport, it would generate lots of excitement in the above communities. But I have come to the conclusion by not having these matches it actually generates more discusion and is just as good for the sport. I also believe that it is good for the chattanooga public schools that wrestle. It gives the wrestler an incentive to stay at a Soddy or Hixon because they will get to wrestle Bradley along with McCallie and Baylor. If they choose to go to McCallie or Baylor they loose the opportunity wrestle against Bradley. There really is no incentive for Bradley to wrestle these two schools, they can and do schedule just as tough or tougher opponents. It would only benefit McCallie and Baylor, with no benefit to Bradley. Would I like to see them wrestle, absolutely, everyone likes to see great programs compete against each other. However, I would have to side with Bradley's stand that it serves no benefit to wrestle these two programs. It would only produce a negative result for public schools that develope and have feeder programs in the area. Yes, I believe that covers it for what its worth.

This whole topic has been beat to death and the only true explaination is: "every team is free to compile their own schedule as they see fit outside of their district". The whole "recruiting the guys that the D1 coaches developed" argument is lame. I've been coaching in the youth leagues for 12 years and the only high school coach I've seen coaching "developing" a youth team was Coach Weathers from Ooltewah last season. Between teaching classes, coaching the HS team, and raising a family, most high school coaches are busy enough. You don't see high school baseball coaches coaching little league either. It is what it is, let it go.

This whole topic has been beat to death and the only true explaination is: "every team is free to compile their own schedule as they see fit outside of their district". The whole "recruiting the guys that the D1 coaches developed" argument is lame. I've been coaching in the youth leagues for 12 years and the only high school coach I've seen coaching "developing" a youth team was Coach Weathers from Ooltewah last season. Between teaching classes, coaching the HS team, and raising a family, most high school coaches are busy enough. You don't see high school baseball coaches coaching little league either. It is what it is, let it go.

Gov.....I think there is no speculation as to why Bradley does not schedule two of the private schools in Chattanooga. The coach has been pretty clear, at least as to what I know of his reasons.

Walkenvol....I don't think that the head coaches of those teams do the ground work of talking with potential kids to come into their programs, but those associated with the programs, either boosters, parents, alumni wrestlers, etc. do. The argument may seem lame, but is it?

I think there is a fine line between "recruiting" and simply letting a kid know his options. I don't think there is anything wrong with a private school coach letting a kid know that a scholarship is waiting for him, if he choses to wrestle at that school. However, it can probably get out of hand. I haven't seen too much of that out here. The D1 and D2 schools have a good relationship.