AP Poll

texas23

Gov.....I think there is no speculation as to why Bradley does not schedule two of the private schools in Chattanooga. The coach has been pretty clear, at least as to what I know of his reasons.

Yes, I am sure that coach logsdon has made it clear, I was just giving my opinion as to what my reasoning would be in the same situation for what its worth which is nothing. But there is always speculation to the motives given if there is any in any situation.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

btow - drop the lame "scholarship" argument also. If there were athletic scholarships, I wouldn't be driving the pos car I drive. Also, do you really think they would hand them out to such minor sports as wrestling?

David Vance and George Lewis were two fine and talented athletes at McCallie, weren't they?

Also, since when do the parents get a new car based on a students ability to...uhhh....never mind, I forgot about Lebron James.

btow - drop the lame "scholarship" argument also. If there were athletic scholarships, I wouldn't be driving the pos car I drive. Also, do you really think they would hand them out to such minor sports as wrestling?

It's tough to strike a balance in this "what is defined as recruiting" and determining where scholarships, tutors and other subsidies should go. This is very complicated and I'm glad someone else has to deal with it.

I do know that scholarships used to be an incentive, but who knows what actually happens today. You can't read everyone's mind and get to real motives.

By the way, if wrestling at McCallie and Baylor is such a minor sport, why then did they draw 2-3000 in their recent match? Between attendance and concessions they raised between $4000 and $10,000 in one match.

We raised about $250 our last home match. Sorry guys, no supplements to Smyrna wrestlers going to camp, no wrestling room, no new equipment. That's why some teams can be 5-10 deep in every weight class and others are lucky to have a back up to the varsity (if they have 14 on the team).

Oh well, that's why I say wrestling is so much like life. IT'S ALL GOOD!!

SOMS

Mr.Sommers, I dont know who you are and dont think you know me but you may know my husband who has been a referee. But I am not going to expose who he is. Its obvious by now that I follow the Bears closely. You seem to know quite a lot about them yourself. Who is sly? Im glad to know he follows the Bears too. If its got something to do with the comment I made to unc, he had it coming. I get tired of people mouthing off to coach Logsdon but not having the guts to do it in person.

Edited by Brickhousechick

Mr.Sommers, I dont know who you are and dont think you know me but you may know my husband who has been a referee. But I am not going to expose who he is. Its obvious by now that I follow the Bears closely. You seem to know quite a lot about them yourself. Who is sly? Im glad to know he follows the Bears too. If its got something to do with the comment I made to unc, he had it coming. I get tired of people mouthing off to coach Logsdon but not having the guts to do it in person.

You know who sly is. just ask around.

soms

The scholarship is always labeled as something else...

KD,

I think you may not understand what happens with need-based scholarships. All need-based scholarships are run through the same service in Princeton that determines need for college students. Students can only get those scholarships based upon what this outside source, not the secondary school, states. If a kid cannot qualify for a certain amount of aid, and gets more from the secondary school, he/she can be ruled ineligible.

I'm not saying the system is perfect. But I disagree that anything is getting "labeled" need-based or diversity promotion and is in reality an athletic schoalrship. Do you have some tangible evidence to support your implication?

kdxdude-

A majority of students on financial aid at schools like Baylor and McCallie are not varsity athletes. Of course, this statistic is inconvenient for those wanting to put these high schools on the same level as the UT football program. As much as people hate to hear this, the scholarships and the amounts given are based on need. No athlete whose family is able to pay the bill is getting a free ride at these schools. Certainly, there are some athletes receiving aid but, again, it is based on need. It is not called anything else. These kids have shown they can do the academic work and they want what these schools have to offer. Their parents are willing to sacrifice, and I assure you it is a sacrifice, all they can to send them there. For some, where needed, the balance is financial aid. It's that simple.

Incidentally, look at this years Baylor squad. Eight of the regular starting 14 are children of alumni. Those kids were not recruited with scholarships.

Edited by mtnrasslin