Terrible Refs

DelTavian

del i think what needs to happen is if the tssaa would hire bob pack' sammy northcutt' and mike northcutt to have a year round school with this three men teaching because in my opinion they are 3 of the best and every official must attend there seminar year round and if those 3 did not think you need to be refereeing you went home.bottom line someone needs to step up and put something in place.just a thought what do you all think about this.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to say that up in the Clay Co. area we have found the equalizer for the bad ref. We had two pretty bad refs tonight but the third one was MOE. Moe is the best ref I've ever seen. Every game should have a ref like Moe. He's DA BOMB.

Edited by Dawg05

Couple of points...

1) Officials are not going to be correct 100% of the time. Players miss shots. Coaches attempt wrong plays/strategies. Refs miss calls. Its part of the game.

2) Fans and parents could wisen up on the rules a little. If I've heard a drop step get "REF THATS A WALK!" once, i've heard it 10000 times this year. Most of the calls folks really get upset about are those that are actually correct I find. Of course wearing _____ Teams Colored Glasses lends to that, but, when Home Team Player #2 tackles a player, don't give the ref that much crap.

3) Officals need to make sure they are not there to be seen. Call the game, call what you see and INTERPRET and be done with it. If Joe Fan stands up and says you're the blindest ref you've ever saw, and thinks you're doing a sorry job and he hopes he never sees you again - ignore it and move on. Unless a fan verbally or physically threatens an official on the court (or distrubs the game in progress) the fan shouldn't be thrown out. Those officials who have a fan thrown out for voicing opinions just want to have some authority in their life and want some attention

4) If one decides to be the official, especially those who have been doing it for years, they need to honor the commitment they made. IE: Be in shape to at least jog up and down the court to be in position. Bob Knight once said it best when he said the extra 20 pounds on the official create some last minute controversy. The players today at the HS and College level are stronger and faster - and this no longer usually allows Mr Official to not work out and not be in shape - and if Mr Official isn't in shape, 9 out of 10 times he's going to be out of position to make a call. Most of the calls people complain they are missed - are actually the officials out of position, and had the official been in position, they probably make the correct call. Most refs aren't "incompetent" or "blind" or "stupid". They are just slow and out of position

5) Officials could drop the chip on their shoulder, or their grudges against teams and/or players. Countless times I see these same officials call the same games I go to, and countless times I see the attitude displayed, countless times I see the same player over and over singled out. Watching game film you can see a lot more the 2nd time, such as how a girl on the post is punching another girl in the ribs, and following the play the girl gets pushed off........the official waits a good 10 seconds and calls a technical.

Bottom line, fans and officials both have work to do.

Fans - if you think officiating is easy, pick up some stripes and a FOX 40. The TSSAA Could use some officials at the Freshman and JV Level. Try it out, it isn't as easy as it looks. As someone who does some officiating, if I could pick from being an official on the floor, or actually being in the stands to call the game - I'd pick in the stands, way much easier to call the game. Also, go out and get certified to call those JV and Frosh games.......the TSSAA needs them, and they surely can't get any worse at that level. I really feel sorry for most of those officials. I have to assume those guys had no officiating at a Recreation or Elementary level before donning the TSSAA Stripes.

Officials - Know that you are the one in the stripes. Know that you are one of 2 or 3 judges on your "court". What you say does in fact go........But that doesn't mean all the fans are going to applaud your decision. Some will *gasp* Disagree. I feel an official is doing his job 1) If he isn't seen or 2) If both sides boo him LOL.

I digress. But, the officials need to keep in mind that the packed gymnasium isn't filled to watch the 2 to 3 guys in stripes. It's packed to watch the 20 or so players in the uniforms.

This issue will never be settled........but it could be brought to a somewhat civil level.

If you sue the TSSAA for throwing a fan out and denying him his 1st ammendment rights then you will look like a fool when the judge throws it out for wasting his time.  That is the dumbest idea that I have ever heard.  If you really want to change the way that a game is officiated then simply become an official and earn your stripes, then you can get on here and complain about how the fans won't leave you alone.

Obviously you pay little attention to the legal world these days. They throw very little out. And some folks get money even when they don't deserve it. Remember the little old lady that didn't like how hot McDonald's coffee was?

Trust me, the suit would be heard. You may not win....or you might....but it wouldn't get thrown out.

Del.

Edited by DelTavian

I think it is real funny that if this post was started by anyone else it would have already been locked, but since one of the adminastrators started it i guess it is ok.

Del you are being a big baby, and now you want to threaten a man with court for throwing a fan out of the gym, Howabout you go get you a patch and let's see how good you are.

Del just qiut crying and take "the boy fishing"

your a big family man, think about that ref's family reading this post on how your want to tale them to court.

A ref in Pikeville cost Sequatchie County the game. Called 2 technicals on Sequatchie with Sequatchie leading by one or two, neither technical was justified. Pikeville gets four points and the ball, takes the lead with 45 seconds left after being down and playing defense with 46 seconds left. On the second somebody from the stands said something and he thought it was a player, that's how aware he was/is. In another game in Dunlap, one of the refs gave a Tyner player a high-five several times in the game and went over to talk to the coach, laughed and cut up any time there was a break in the action at that end. I don't know if it was a coincidence or not that Tyner got most of the calls that game but that really looked bad. One time maybe, but not 4 or 5 times at least. Overall I wouldn't be down on the refs too much, that's the only two games I remember things really being bad this year. I heard one or two I didn't get to see were pretty bad. If you don't remember anything about the refs then they've done their job.

I think it is real funny that if this post was started by anyone else it would have already been locked, but since one of the adminastrators started it i guess it is ok.

Del you are being a big baby, and now you want to threaten a man with court for throwing a fan out of the gym,  Howabout you go get you a patch and let's see how good you are.

Del just qiut crying and take "the boy fishing" 

your a big family man, think about that ref's family reading this post on how your want to tale them to court.

UnionVegas,

My posts and threads are as subject to being locked or deleted as anyone else. I'm not even a mod on this board. Report me. I don't care.

As for the baby remarks you're just showing your own stupidity with that one.

If a ref crosses the line he's as subject to reprocussions as anyone else. What was done the other night to a Grundy dad was way over the line. The ref should be taken to court. If it happened I bet no one would get thrown out over little gripes again.

However, if a fan calls a ref a name that's over the line, cusses the ref or threatens to whip the ref the fan should be thrown out, banned, taken to jail or all of the above. I don't condone fans going over the line any more than I do a ref.

And yes, fans cry walk and other things far more than they should. I've stood under the basket at hundreds of games and have seen the same vantage point as a ref and seen that he made the right call. Then had fans mad at me when I nodded my head in agreement with the ref.

But the refs with the chips on their shoulder need to go. And they won't until someone calls their bluff. Take one to court and see how quick attitudes change. Folks won't get thrown out for telling someone it's a bad call again.

I remain outraged at this refs actions Monday night no matter if you like it or not. I will continue to speak out.

So there!

And it's too cold and dark to fish right now. So I guess I'll just argue with you.

Del.

Edited by DelTavian

i would also like to add in the OBVIOUS make-up calls refs make...... beginning of season during the rules meeting where district coaches and refs and whoever meet and get rules straight said that this year there will be no such thing as a makeup call for the refs to call..... uhhh i think the refs werent paying much attentetion during that part.... everygame i can point out makeup calls for a foul or turnover they missed or should have been called. they should just call what they see and if they miss it leave it out... it makes them look bad and sort of lets them decide more of the game than they should. All i ask from a ref is to be consistent and no make-up calls... just my opinion

Its understandable for refs to make some mistakes, but i have come across quite a few who make a crap load of bad calls. Some mistakes cant be helped but when its obvious that a ref is making calls that benefit the other team for the whole game, something is a little wrong. Thats what i have come across this season, and I'm sure i am not the only one. I'm not saying that all refs are bad, but the majority of them make obvious horrible calls. I could be the only one that thinks this, but i have seen it all too many times, it seems to be an every game thing when we play. :lol: There are some exceptions to this, I have seen a few refs that have called good, and very fair games, and thats all that anybody wants anyway, call the game right is what i think, even if you like one team more than the other, very seldom do you see a ref who actually calls a fair game, but they are out there somewhere. I mean, calling a fair game makes the games go more smoothly. I have to admire all refs for actually taking the job, cause i know that i couldnt handle it, but i figure if you have the job, why not do it right? We will never figure out the mentality of a ref, i would kinda hate to know what it is. Im not bashing all refs, just stating what I've seen and heard from my own school as well as a lot of others. :D

It is not the refs fault they stink. The TSSAA made it madatory for 3 refs at the games. We used to only use 3 for the district games and 2 for the non-district. It was amazing how well the non-district games were refed. 2 refs is the answer. It keeps refs from competing to make the call. Ref teams work better with 2, Look at JV games, yea they are begineer refs, but they usually are called better bc there is only 2 of them. So what we need to do is get all Coaches to bring up the fact that we only need 2 refs per game to the TSSAA. By complaining on here it doesnt do much good, but by complaining direct we might have a better chance..

you know its amazing to me how everyone gets on here and bashes referees. if you have such a problem with refs or a specific official contact the TSSAA and report them. They will check it out. Otherwise contact the TSSAA say "I want to be ref" they will send you the test to take. Granted some officials think they are God's gift to the game that everyone payed their 4 or 5 dollars to see them ref. Thos are the ones that don't last long. So for about the tenth time this season I am going to lock this because everything bad or good about refs have been said.