Soddy Daisy Girls Coach

GorillasBB

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WARDAWG,

that is about as fair and accurate assessment as you'll ever hear of the situation. He might not have been fired but he sure wasn't embraced or supported. I wonder how Tom Weathers will react to "win this game or else" type of ultimatums? Probally will be a lot different though for him since they are friends.

I don't think there was so much of "win this game or else" ultimatums but more of the fact that the program never made progress. I mean there were many guys that could have played and helped the team some but they didn't because of coach ryan. I mean you can't say it was "win this game or else" cuz he got them to the playoffs almost every year but the same thing happened every year: first round lost. I mean should the program be content with just making the playoffs or should they wanna try and play a couple more games a year? That may have happened if we could have gotten everyone to come out for football. But anyway....back to girls basketball........they should keep coach seals!

I don't think there was so much of "win this game or else" ultimatums but more of the fact that the program never made progress. I mean there were many guys that could have played and helped the team some but they didn't because of coach ryan. I mean you can't say it was "win this game or else" cuz he got them to the playoffs almost every year but the same thing happened every year: first round lost. I mean should the program be content with just making the playoffs or should they wanna try and play a couple more games a year? That may have happened if we could have gotten everyone to come out for football. But anyway....back to girls basketball........they should keep coach seals!

I hear what you're saying. I've even thought they could probably do better myself a few times the last few years, though I certainly never had anything personally against Ryan. When I was there they won about 10 games in 4 years, so at least they've been consistent winners since the Price days. But I see your point. Things always look different on the inside.

What I was referring to about ultimatums was a story that was going around the coaching circles around town that Smith told Ryan the day of the McMinn game if he didnt win it that he wouldnt have a job next year , or something to that affect.

I honestly dont claim to know if it was true or not. I just hang with a lot of coaches and you hear things, thats all. Some coaches I know belived it, some didnt, so take it with a grain of salt.

Later~

That has got to be a total rumor about Robert Smith telling Coach Ryan if he loses to Mcminn then he's without a job. Coach Ryan was a "pretty darn good" football coach. No, he did not have the success of Bill Price, but he did not have the talent to work with that Bill Price had. There weren't any Danny WIlliams back there throwing the football, or any Conal Jones out there catching everything thrown there way. Probably a lot of you don't even know those names, but that does not matter. Coach Ryan had a good team that went to Science Hill a couple of years ago and lost on a last second fluke play. The last couple of years he had a good football team, he just could not beat William Blount. THat cost him a home playoff game this year, a game which Soddy probably would have won. As far as Coach Seals, i still think he is getting the wrong end of the deal. Look at what he did there when he had Sarah SMith, Marsha MCgilvery (spelling?), and a couple of other girls who went on to play in college............ As for the kids not coming for football and girls basketball, there are always going to be kids who are very blessed with talent but don't have the attitude to get out there and bust there butt even if they don't agree with everything about the coach. you're not always going to like the boss but you still go to work. Coach Ryan's program was very hard nosed and disciplined and some people just can't cut it

Defend you must have been a lineman? Robert Smith said recently that he should have dealt with Ryan 2 years ago. Hardnosed is one thing but abusive is another. Some of the current staff now talk about "getting into it with Ryan" about how he treated the kids. Including on the field right after the DB game. Why do you think that so many assistants quit in the last 3-4 years. Some of those asst. coaches said they couldn't work with him. You know there comes a time when you look around and you are the only one left. 52 players last year, headed to 40 something next year, without a change. 18 seniors graduated this year and only 18 players on the freshman team. How many of those freshman would have lasted 4 years. The numbers were turning upside down. You can talk about "they just can't cut it" all you want but you can't have a team without players. These kids can choose to play or not, but why give them an incentive to not play. He ran up a winning record against the bottom half of 5a region opponents and the bottom half of the local 4a region. Finishing 4th or worse in the region every year is not cause to celebrate.