State Duals

ru4mocs

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was the shoulder injury for Jesse Baker what gave  Konz the win at state duals?

How serious was it? Where did the match stand when it occurred?

Yes. And he finished out with Konz. I'm not sure if he'll be okay for this weekend?

sly may give us an update.

soms

It appeared to me as if Baker injured his shoulder during the match.

From the Cleveland Daily Banner

By JOHN HUNT Contributing Writer

Published February 09, 2004 10:06 AM EDT

CLARKSVILLE - The Bradley Bears have won a dozen state titles in Steve Logsdon's career as their wrestling coach and they have all been significant, but it would be tough to find one that was any more emotional than the one celebrated Saturday night at Clarksville High School.

Logsdon previously announced this year would be his last.

With nine seniors in the starting lineup, the potential for having one of his best teams ever was also a good possibility.

The Bears took a big step toward proving it and accomplishing their goals as a team by winning the Division I State Duals title with a hard-fought, 38-22 victory over the Soddy-Daisy Trojans - the same team Bradley beat a year ago for the same honor.

Bradley cruised past Maryville in Friday's opening round, winning nine straight matches for a commanding 53-0 advantage before forfeiting the final five weight classes in a 53-30 victory.

That domination continued Saturday afternoon with a 46-22 conquest of the Franklin Rebels, setting up another showdown with the Trojans. Soddy-Daisy advanced to the finals with a 46-21 whipping of host Clarksville.

While Logsdon was pleased with the overall effort and results of those first two matches, he headed back to the motel with a worried look on his face after two of his seniors got hurt.

Jesse Baker, who has won 28 of 31 matches at 140, suffered a shoulder injury during a 7-4 loss against Franklin. He was held out of the championship match as a precautionary measure.

Bryant Blackmon, the defending state runner-up at 171 who has a 28-4 record, suffered a severe ankle injury at the end of his win against the Rebels.

Logsdon allowed him to take the mat against Soddy-Daisy, but the match was stopped and awarded to the Trojans when it was apparent Blackmon was risking further injury if he continued.

The Bears had clinched the title when Quinn Gibson earned a forfeit victory in the previous slot, so Blackmon's match was meaningless in the overall team score.

When the match ended, Bradley wrestlers, cheerleaders, parents, coaches and other interested supporters celebrated their seventh Duals title in the last 11 years.

Logsdon said he was moved by the whole experience, but, as usual, you couldn't see it from the expression on his face.

"This one is a little bit different from the others as this was my final dual meet as their coach," Logsdon said. "I'm lucky to be in this position and I know I'll miss it."

Logsdon said he was proud of the way his guys performed, especially his senior Matt Bailey.

"We came ready to wrestle tonight. There were a lot of close matches and we won most of them," Logsdon said. "Bailey got us going as it started with him at 215. He got pinned by that guy the last time we wrestled, but I'm mighty proud of them all. It had to be a total team effort and that's what it was."

Drew Henderson had pinned Bailey a couple of weeks ago in their dual meet at Soddy-Daisy, but the Bradley senior had other ideas this time around.

Taking charge from the opening whistle, Bailey got the first takedown and was methodical and controlling for the entire six minutes, taking the 6-0 decision and giving his teammates badly needed momentum early.

"After he pinned me, I was on a mission," Baily said. "It took me a few days to get my head on straight, but my one goal was to beat him. I hope to see him again (at the traditional state) to prove to him that the first time was a fluke."

Nine of the 14 matches went the distance with Bradley's Ryan Ensminger getting the only pin in the match.

John Lane scored a technical fall to cut Bradley's lead to 23-12 following the 140-pound match. It never got any closer.

Soddy-Daisy coach Steve Henry certainly didn't make any excuses.

"It was a great match, but we just didn't want to get the job done bad enough and they did. Bradley wanted it worse than we did and they deserved to win. We'll go back to the practice room and see what we're made of in these next two weeks," Henry said.

Bradley's Shawn Cordell, who remained unbeaten after 34 matches, notched a 7-2 decision over Ryan Fuller in the last match. He was as happy as anyone when the celebration began.

"This is exactly how I wanted our dual meet season to end. Now we need to finish the job by winning the traditional tournament in two weeks," Cordell said.

While Bailey, Ensminger, Cordell and Gibson were all victorious for Bradley, other winners for the Bears included Shawn Grady (275), Blake Tinsley (112), Jake West (130), Justin Spain (152) and Josh Cooper (189).

Bradley returns to action on Friday when the Region 3 tournament is held in Crossville at Cumberland County High School.

BRADLEY 38, SODDY-DAISY 22

215 - Matt Bailey (BC) dec. Drew Henderson, 6-0; 275 - Shawn Grady (BC) dec. Shawn Phillips, 7-6; 103 - Jason McCroskey (SD) dec. Tanner Johnson, 8-2; 112 - Blake Tinsley (BC) major dec. Jarriett Toney, 11-3; 119 - Shawn Cordell (BC) dec. Ryan Fuller, 7-2; 125 - Kyle James (SD) major dec. Travis Creagan, 20-10; 130 - Jake West (BC) major dec. Chad Stewart, 10-1; 135 - Ryan Ensminger (BC) pinned Tyler Ferris, 2:43; 140 - John Lane (SD) won by technical fall over Mark Fuller, 3:20; 145 - Craig Potter (SD) major dec. Matt Spain, 15-7; 152 - Justin Spain (BC) dec. Brandon Thurman, 6-4; 160 - Quinn Gibson (BC) won by forfeit; 171 - Matt Lettner (SD) won by default over Bryant Blackmon; 189 - Josh Cooper (BC) won by default over Paul Campbell.

Okay - the state duals are over, the matches have ended, winners have been named & awarded the plaques. If you are still in the Clarksville High School Gym waiting for a re-match, go home.

It's OVER - let's focus our energy toward the upcoming events as the TSSAA season finale is quickly approaching!

:D