12U

My daughter played with her a few years ago, and she is an excellent player, I just don't believe they have the other 4 spots that would be able to compete with some of the other teams.  We played the Lawrenceburg team a few months back with just a local traveling team, (don't remember the score) but I believe it wasn't even close.

Most of the girls on the 12U team are not the girls who played with the traveling squad this fall. Most of these girls were playing MS ball at EO Coffman and couldn't play on the travel squad.

As for coaching as a concern in someone's earlier post, last year's 11U team went through a coaching change mid-season. They are under the lead of the coach who finished the season with them last year. No offence to the first coach last year, he is a great basketball coach, but this set of girls played much better at the end of the season under Coach Marston. I look for good things from them this year.

Edited by MrsLadyCatsFan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is true that there is not a 12U Memphis Waves team this year. 3 of the players went with TN Elite, but one of them had a knee injury and may not be able to play until nationals. The 3 guards plus a couple of the other players are playing with the Memphis Lady Elite. The Memphis Lady Elite picked up a few strong players and I think will surprise alot of people since everyone is counting them out. I think the 12 year old age group is a strong one this year and the state tournament will definitely be an exciting one to watch. The state of Tennessee has alot of talented young ladies.

You got that right janinelpn2! States will be vry competitive. I heard that the Bulls and the TN Elite had a pretty close game at substate and the Bulls just barely lost last year in the state final. The Waves won because the ref called the last at the buzzer shot a 2 and not a 3. If the Bulls are the same team like last year it could be the TN Elite or the bulls. The Memphis Elite team is new so who knows what they can really do. They didn't have to play Shelbyville in the super regional they won. But the Waves girls that went to TN Elite were starters for the Waves. Then the Wst Tn tigers are tuff but that one girl 3 I think is hurt.

How do the teams from last year's top 4 look compared to now????? Has anybody seen them all??? ptguard12? What about the Express? Do they have a chance? Don't count them out!!

pt. guard 12, have you seen the 12u SSS teams yet? How do you think that they can hold up against the Memphis teams?

Shelbyville Sport Shop - Blue is a great team and should make it to nationals if they play as a team. The 6'4" girl from Jackson Co. was a sight to see this weekend. She looked like a skyscraper surrounded by ants. She has come a long way since I last saw her. The other Sport Shop team will have some trouble at state, but could surprise some people. I can't make a prediction about state since there is such a deep field this year. However, my favorite to win it is the East Tennessee Lady Bulls, as they are all still together, while the only team from Tennessee to have their number the past 2 years were the Memphis Waves and they have broken up.

• 4 weeks later...
However, my favorite to win it is the East Tennessee Lady Bulls, as they are all still together, while the only team from Tennessee to have their number the past 2 years were the Memphis Waves and they have broken up.

Just an update on your predictions ptguard 12. The Memphis Lady Elite, who was overlooked by almost everyone, have won the 12u State Championship by beating Shelbyville Sport Shop Blue by 32 points in the final game. This team consists of 8 former Waves players who have won the state championship the past 2 years. They are under a different name, but are the same team minus 3 players. Your pick, the Bulls, placed 3rd this year after a loss to SSS Blue in the semis. For the past 3 years, these girls have not been given any respect. You and others in the state have been their motivation to prove everyone wrong. If you were not at the tournament, you missed a great one. The 3 guards were in full force as well as the others on the team. Go Memphis Lady Elite. 2004 Tennessee State Champs.

Edited by janinelpn2

For the past 3 years, these girls have not been given any respect. You and others in the state have been their motivation to prove everyone wrong.

First off, I would like to congratulate the Memphis Lady Elite on their championship and their exceptional play this weekend. Now, just so you know janinelpn2, I have never looked over any teams from the west, especially from Memphis. They always get the upmost respect from me, as I have been involved in and seen numerous beatings that they have put on many teams. I honestly felt that the Bulls were the best team this year, as I really felt that it was their year to win it. Congrats to Shelbyville on their second place finish, but I had a feeling they would finally break through this year. Congrats to the other teams, West TN Lady Tigers and TN Team Pride, on making it to nationals. It is truly a great accomplishment.

It's hard enough to make predictions on how adults will play in a particular basketball game (tournament, season) much less predicting how 12 year old girls will play. So, it's understandable that there would be missed predictions or occasionally overlooking this or that team. Still, I hope everybody on the board keeps making predictions or giving personal evaluations of the teams and how they'll do. Why? Because it's fun.

However, it is interesting that there was so little talk about the Memphis Elite as a favorite. They had won the Murfreesboro Super Regional convincingly, won the Atlanta Super Regional (beating two National qualifiers, the Pistols & the Magic by 20 or 30), and won a 14u tournament in Memphis. The Bulls played, from what I understand by the posts, 2 tournaments INCLUDING substate. The same for Shelbyville. Again, I am basing this info on the posts made here on the board. But even if that's wrong, I don't believe they had the record the Elite had.

For the most part, the talk was about the Bulls & Shelbyville - Pretty bold talk at that, especially about Shelbyville. That's nothing against the Shelbyville girls or their coaches because I don't believe they were the ones posting those statements.

janinepln2 is right. West TN for some reason doesn't get much respect. The group of girls who made up the Waves at 10 & 11 were not picked to do well and this year most of the girls from those teams are on the Elite and they got the same treatment.

There really is no reason for the Elite to be upset about not getting respect. Why? Because they apparently don't need it to win. But it is interesting...

• 2 weeks later...