Scott/Oneida

wildwest

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read these threads as they were posted about the "incident." I was not present. Most of the people posting their opinions on it weren't there either. I have heard both sides of the story. I wish it hadn't happened, but it did. I hate to bump this thread again, but one thing has yet to be mentioned. It seems the players and coaches are taking a beating for everything from the clothes they wear, their attitudes, and their defense. The clothes have been explained well. The play on the court is much improved. The attitudes have been reeled in compared to a year ago. My question is why have the parents gotten a free pass. Oneida in the 90's was a machine because kids played their role. They cared about wins first and foremost. Parents always favor thier son/daughter, but winning was an understood first priority. In recent days it has been replaced with win and do it with my son/daughter scoring the most and playing the most minutes. Player attitudes may be poor at times, but who is (or is supposed to be) responsible for a teen's actions ? If the coach of one sport has been given that responsibility, then we are in a sad state. Maybe if the parents cheered who is on the court, regardless, things would be as they should be. However, parents group themselves in various areas around the gym. Imagine that, the adults divide themselves in cliques, but the teen's that they impact are supposed to disregard this example and "do as we say not as we do." Coach Windle has begun repair of this process. It shows in the turnaround this year. How about allowing some time for the process since it has been less than a year since Oneida was bounced in the first round of the district tournament. Many have lamented the loss of the Oneida teams of the 90's. The Indians are working their way back to that type of team. If the parents really want to return to those days, they need to do their part. Support their kids and the other kids on the team, teach them how to act (don't rely on a coach for that), support their coach, and watch the results. The alternative is to watch a program die because no coach in their right mind would mess with selfishness and over the top expectations. Attitude begins at home and no coach can overcome what is taught there. That is my two cents. As for the OHS/SHS "rivalry", I (as an Oneida fan) don't see or feel it. We have our own worries Rockwood, Harriman, Wartburg, etc. I wish only the best for SHS and their fans, but my words go for them too. If they really want to see SHS success, get behind your coaches. Because of higher enrollment, Coach Sexton and Coach Hall really have their work cut out for them. I saw SHS nearly upset an incredible AE team this past fall in football and was cheering for Scott the whole way. The bball Highlanders can make some noise in the upcoming tournament, and I hope they do. They have proven they can play with AC, the #1 seed, so the possibilities are out there. The parents of both schools need to "step up" and show their kids and the coaches that they are ready to succeed, and worry less about distractions that do nothing but prevent the ultimate goal of winning.

Edited by SingleA

that was a good view single a, I also notice some parental dissent from the Oneida parents or folks who I believed were parents at the games I attended. They referred to one player as a "hotdog" and hollored at another player as well. That was a little unordinary for Oneida fans I thought but now that you went a little in that direction single a, that may also be a problem there at Oneida. Coaches across the country deal with parental issues. Oneida coaches in the past had very little parental issues in the boys programs but hey they were winning alot of games. Kevin Windle should have never permitted the Scott high mess to happen and should have cut if off as soon as he saw it, plain and simple.

Pugs good to see you back posting. I don't get to see Oneida play a lot, but I think Coach Windle is doing a good job. During the Christmas tournament at Harriman, they were in games with Kingston and Oneida but did not finish well. I think that is something that Coach Windle will get better at with time.

I didn't think they played particularly well at Harriman. The Harriman point guard seemed to frustrate the entire Oneida team and at times it seemed like the Indian guards were more interested in playing games with Thomas than trying to get back into the game.

As far as Oneida's tradition, I don't think they have an easy a road as in the past. Years ago it seemed that it was an upset if Oneida didn't win the district and even the region. With Harriman and Rockwood in the mix, it seems that teams fear the Roane County squads more than the Indians. I do, however, think Oneida will return to the elite within a few years, but Harriman and Rockwood should also be there on a regular basis.

goosevol, it is hard to stay out of the gym after many years. I checked coacht out after I heard about the Scott County incident.

Threeball, 1)why was Coach Windle at the Scott/Anderson game if you know?

2) Why was he not scouting a regional or district game or crunching tape?

3) After watching his team play, crunching tape would have seemed to be a better outlet for him than going to a game that had no meaning wouldnt it?

4) Threeball, what did the administration say to Coach Windle for the Scott County incident?

5) Threeball, why did Coach Windle even permit them to begin to do what they did--shouldnt his focus be on his team not Anderson County? Shouldnt he care most about the young men in his locker room?

6) Threeball, why does Coach Windle allow his team to stay in the stands in their uniform rather than remain in the locker room getting pumped before each game? if you know? Wouldn't you agree that it doesnt look well and I doubt Coach Hall or Eldridge would have allowed Kevin Windle to sit in the stands with his uniform on.

7) Does Coach Windle condone Orick wearing funky hats and flip flops to the game?

8) Threeball, if you know, what does L. Armstrong add to Oneida's substitution rotation other than missed defensive assignments and poor shots selection.

9) Threeball, if you know, the banners Coach Windle assisted putting in the gym, has he forgotten about the sweat and grit that earned those sub states, sectionals, three state berths, regional and district championships.

10) Threeball, if you know, Can Coach Windle name any other Oneida team who acted as a team so ridiculous as his charges did at Scott High.

11) Lastly, Threeball, I know Coach Windle is proud of his tenure at Anderson County but truthfully, shouldnt he be prouder of his alma mater, Oneida and their success in the past and shouldnt his troops want to follow that tradition versus Anderson County? Why compare to AC when the banners hang in Oneida?

Food for Thought, my last post about Oneida/Scott High and what has gone wrong there this year. I think the young Mr. Windle should consider my posts and the mistakes he has made. Threeball, I will analyze another school at another time. you have enough pressure just beating Coalfield. Good luck!

Edited by pugs

Pugs, why are questioning a man's dedication and commitment to a school that he loves, and a program that he is trying to revitalize? He was named District 4-A coach of the year, which is voted upon by the coaches of the District; the guys that have coached against him and has seen last year's team and this year's team. Evidently, by the people who know, Coach Windle is doing something right. He has given this team a sense of pride and self-worth that was demonlished last year. I personally am very proud of him and what he has done for these players, students, and school.

About the whole Orick thing, I haven't seen any player wear "funky hats" at games. I have saw some wear them to the games, take them off in the locker room, as they get dressed into their shirt and ties. This is just part of the discipline that the coaching staff has brought back to Oneida.

Then you mentioned that the coaching staff was not concerned about scouting any district or regional opponents the night of the Scott High/ Anderson County game. However, if you look at the teams schedules, you would have noticed that the only games that night were between teams that they have already played. Personally, I think Coach Windle is one of the hardest working coaches I have been around, and there have been some excellent ones here at Oneida in the past: Bill Hall, Mark Eldridge, and Gary Barnes. I would love to see Kevin Windle follow in the footsteps of those 3, by making it to the State Tournament or Sub-State rounds.

Also, Pugs, you mentioned that Oneida has not shown the greatness of years past, specifically in the mid 90's. What you didn't mention was the during that time, Oneida boasted a front line that consisted of 6'11", 6'6", 6'4"...and had 2 Div. 1 caliber players, 1 Div. III caliber player, 1 Junior College Player...then a couple years later the Indians boasted 3 NAIA players and a recently a Div. II standout. The talent level has obviously dropped off considerably, but the competition in District play has rose, with the additions of Rockwood and Harriman. So the complete dominance that Oneida has come to expect might take awhile before it reemerges fully. The program is on the right track, however, after last season that won 6 games to this season that has 16 already to it's credit, with the same players.

Speaking of the banners and the greatness of years past. Don't forget that he represents the teams you speak of. He played for those teams, he bleed, he gave the effort that most kids today can't even understand. The teams he played on are represented on every banner from disctrict champs to state appearances. Let's not forget that he also played on the state championship football team. Obviously you were part of that era also since you know so much about it. I also bleed, gave my all, and put forth the kind of effort that it takes to win such chamionships, probably beside you! If not then you were just a spectator and you can't even imagine the kind of effort we speak of. So don't ever question the integrity of someone you know nothing about. I am tired of all the battering. If you want to say something bad about Coach Windle then you had better come with something more than a team that played 10 or more years ago, and if you talk about bringing tradition back - who do think had those banners put up? It sure wasn't you!!! If you want that kind of team back then I suggest that you support and not put down his ability or effort.

So, after saying that, I would like to say that this subject should be resolved. Oneida and Scott High have tournaments that are in their reach, thus need to focus their attention and energies on that goal. Good luck to Oneida & Scott High.

Pugs, I think you oughta be the coach. You seem to have so much basketball intelligence. Why aren't you coaching? Is it easier to sit behind a keyboard and be critical of everyone else? It seems to me that you were on here a few years ago being critical of Coach Barnes when he was at Oneida. Yeh, I remember that too. Now Barnes is suddenly great. You are a typical fan/parent. When the going gets a little rough you jump on the "bash the current coach" bandwagon.

The whole deal at the Scott/Anderson game has been stretched and turned in every direction. I wasn't there and I have heard numerous "conflicting" stories. All I know is that people on both sides keep the feud going, not just Oneida. I have stood on the sidelines of football games and sat in the bleachers of basketball games for several years now at Oneida. I have seen Scott Co. football and basketball players come to the games and sit with opposing fans. They have cheered for the opposing teams and I didn't think anything of it. You know why? I don't care. I am worried more about what our teams do than what someone else thinks. I am not concerned with everyone else. I support our coaches and our kids. I don't get on message boards to bash my own school when I don't know the whole story. I don't get on local talk shows bashing the "school up the road." I don't send letters to the local paper to try to heat up the feud. I cheer for our kids, for our teams.

As for the 90's teams, wouldn't we all like to have a 6'11" center who signed with Wake Forest, or a 6'1" SG who had Division I offers, or maybe a Post like Stan Pennington who could score on any sized opponent. That's just 3 of many good players who played during that era. I know you already know all this with your great basketball intelligence. Does Oneida have these caliber players this year? I know they have some good athletes and great kids, but I don't know of anyone in Single A that has anything compared to this.

Spinddoctor, good points. however, you forgot the Ryan Burchfield team which is way smaller than this team. In fact most of the 90's teams with the exception of 93 and 94 were smaller than this team. I am not saying Coack KW is not dedicated. He seemed to forget the focus of the Oneida teams in February when he was goofing at Scott High. I want to forget that episode but one stupid night out can ruin a reputation you have spent years developing. You seem to have an excuse for everything. Losers give excuses and not results. Last years team was the same team regardless if you had a jr. pr coaching them--they still were on the floor. Oneida has seven guys who can start for Rockwood. Rockwood has about three who can start for them. What is the difference? Lastly, how do you know I didn't play for any of those teams? Sometimes folks cannot see the forest for the trees. Oneida was predicted to win 16-20games this year with the team they have. Good luck Oneida and yes congrats to Coach Windle for the District Coach of the year. With all the juniors and Seniors on the floor, I guess we should expect a substate appearance this year. I look forward to another appearance for Oneida on that level. That is what is expected at Oneida---not excuses.

Topdawg,

1) How do you know I dont coach?

2) I dont think I ever ripped Coach Barnes.

3) Why are you so defensive?

4) Do you think Oneida is my school?? or Scott county for that matter?

5) How about some honest insight, with all juniors and seniors on the floor, what excuse can you concoct if Oneida loses on Monday?

6) If you are an Oneida fan, are you satisfied with mediocrity and excuses?

7) The goal is Murfreesboro each and every year at Oneida not to look cool and play some teams "close", isn't it?