DIV II Brackets Posted!

matfan

The truth comes out with the rule written in plain black and white english above and the masses are silent. Hoping that this thread will slowly eek its way onto page 2? Well I am giving it new life and putting it back at the top. What are yall's thoughts on the DII 119 seeding now that you can see the actual rules for seeding outlined in my last post above?

(The TSSAA link should work now it was messed up earlier I edited it.)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen all three of these wrestlers but unfortunately we haven't seen Young vs Simpson. This seeding is unfortunate for Young, but it is good to see RC and the boys use a rational thought process. Sometimes you cannot go strictly by the book. Young deserves the seed over Geismer, but in my eye there is no way to logically put Young over Simpson. Simpson is 3 - 1 lifetime with Geismer and definately deserves the #1 seed. The problem would've been solved completely if Geismer just beat Young the secong time. I think the first meeting was a major . RC made a good decision no matter what the McCallie crowd thinks or what the rule book says. Putting Young in the top of the bracket with Geismer and Simpson in the bottom is absurd. I look for Geismer to get some sweet revenge on both of them, but Young is a beast of a freshman. This guy is goin to be the real deal and has a decent shot at the title this year. Good luck to all 3. It should be a great Final.

Sometimes you cannot go strictly by the book. 

tfggowest,

i have to respectfully disagree with your analysis. a rule is a rule until circumstances come up that a situation is reviewed and the rule is changed, after the fact when a group evaluates it. it can't be changed during the situation or it smacks of favoritism. unfortunately, the tssaa seems to do what they want to, when they want to and dare anyone to do anything about it. (it happens in other sports, too). :D

Edited by usfjim

Simpson is a 3 time state placer....4th @ 103 2001, 1st @ 103 2002, 3rd @ 112 2003. When you look at the TSSAA Wrestling Handbook, you cannot seed a wrestler over another past placer if they have not had a head to head match! This goes past just last years medal winners and includes previous years!

Geismar placed ahead of Simpson last year. Geismar and Young split matches, but Young won the last match. At first glance, it would appear to give Young the top seed, but since he has never been a medalist, he CANNOT be seeded ahead of Simpson! Therefore, Simpson jumps over both Young and Geismar for the # 1 seed.

Remember Keppy Baucom from McCallie 2 years ago at 275. He received the #2 seed in that weight class based on his 2nd place finish in the state his 8th grade year. He quit wrestling until his Senior year( 4 year hiatus), but his PAST medal performance gave him the extra boost for the 2nd seed!

Edited by matfan

Simpson is a 3 time state placer....4th @ 103 2001, 1st @ 103 2002, 3rd @ 112 2003. When you look at the TSSAA Wrestling Handbook, you cannot seed a wrestler over another past placer if they have not had a head to head match! This goes past just last years medal winners and includes previous years!

Geismar placed ahead of Simpson last year. Geismar and Young split matches, but Young won the last match. At first glance, it would appear to give Young the top seed, but since he has never been a medalist, he CANNOT be seeded ahead of Simpson! Therefore, Simpson jumps over both Young and Geismar for the # 1 seed.

Remember Keppy Baucom from McCallie 2 years ago at 275. He received the #1 seed in that weight class based on his 3rd place finish in the state his 8th grade year. He quit wrestling until his Senior year( 3 year hiatus), but his PAST medal performance gave him the extra boost for the 1st seed!

matfan (a.k.a. Matt Provenzano)-

Your comments have much error.

First of all go to this website

http://www.tssaa.org/2001Champions/StateWr...isionII/275.htm

Keppy Baucom was the #2 seed to your teammate Jonathan Bullard. Both were previous state placers but Bullard was seeded #1 because he placed 3rd the year before even though Baucom placed 2nd (another error in your previous comments) his 8th grade year (four years before that). They never wrestled head-to-head. So by the criteria that is how they were seeded.

Secondly, go to this website (or look at my earlier post in this thread which states each of the guidlines in order of seeding)

http://www.tssaa.org/Handbook/wrestling.pdf

The seedings are established in order with head-to-head as the first criteria. Medalists from the previous year is the second criteria. Placing in years before that is not mentioned until the 4th criteria. The criteria is definitely being tweeked here by the TSSAA.

Young gets his #1 seed from criteria #1

Geismar gets his #2 seed from criteria #2 and #3

Simpson gets his #3 seed from criteria #4

Keppy Baucom was the #2 seed to your teammate Jonathan Bullard. Both were previous state placers but Bullard was seeded #1 because he placed 3rd the year before even though Baucom placed 2nd (another error in your previous comments) his 8th grade year (four years before that). They never wrestled head-to-head. So by the criteria that is how they were seeded.

Didn't Baucom get the #1 seed? He didn't face Bullard in the final, did he?

BobJones1983,

My short term memory is not what it used to be. I will change my comments to read...Keppy got the #2 seed based on his 2nd place finish from the 8th grade. It's been a long day at work, and when I check this site, I do not have time to research everything...thanks for keeping me straight!

My point being, Keppy did indeed get his seeding based on what he placed 4 years earlier! That takes us back to this year...Young cannot be seeded ahead of Simpson since they have not wrestled head to head and Simpson's past performances.

By the way...I am NOT Matt Provanzano, and I am not related to him either, but I do know him!