radio and tv announcers

sherlockholmes

There is a difference in being excited for your team and just being a fan on the air. You have a responsibility to bring at least some professionalism into it.At OCCHS the football team is trying to bring enthusiasm into the program.The thing that bothers me and should bother the coaches,players and fans is that for someone traveling through the area from out of town and just happens to turn to an OCCHS game on Friday night all you got is Danny Carr.He gives the impression to the listener that Obion County is full of red-necks.The officials are always against the Rebels,there is always dead air(this is NOT T.V. where you can get away with that because you can see what is going on)inside jokes and always,always huffing and puffing on air.I have to listen to another game while at a Rebel game just because it makes sick to my stomach to try to listen to the game i'm there to watch.The atheletic director,superintendent and coaching staff should do something about it.At the very least look at another radio station doing tihe games.Or get someone that can do the game in a professional manner.I know that these guys don't get paid much for what they do and most do it just because they love sports and that is fine but there is a perception put out about the Community on these broadcasts and the perception of the area and the school and the Rebel football team is being hurt by what is on the air now covering Rebel sports.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

97.7 fm has the District 16A tournament from Lake County.  93.7 fm will cover Milan in the District 11AA tournament from Lexington and some of the Gibson County games in the District 13AA tournament from Martin.  1240 am in Union City will cover UC and Obion County Central games in the D13AA tournament.  101.7 fm and 1410 am will cover all of the games from the D13AA tournament.

As to getting excited on a broadcast...you wouldn't be doing the players justice if you didn't get excited about a great play or big win for either team - whether it is your team or not.  A good broadcast is fan friendly, exciting and statistically correct.  After all, it is journalistic entertainment.  But, everyone has their own opinion in what makes a good broadcast.

Don't forget my friend Dist. 15A in it's entirety on 101.7 FM with me & Little Brother!

My bad! Listen to Vick and Jordan on 101.7 fm for D15A. But, I should mention that Russell & his partner will be doing the tournament as well on 105.7 fm.

A little friendly competition on both parts. But, when you do both games...it severely limits hospitality room time.

There is a difference in being excited for your team and just being a fan on the air. You have a responsibility to bring at least some professionalism into it.At OCCHS the football team is trying to bring enthusiasm into the program.The thing that bothers me and should bother the coaches,players and fans is that for someone traveling through the area from out of town and just happens to turn to an OCCHS game on Friday night all you got is Danny Carr.He gives the impression to the listener that Obion County is full of red-necks.The officials are always against the Rebels,there is always dead air(this is NOT T.V. where you can get away with that because you can see what is going on)inside jokes and always,always huffing and puffing on air.I have to listen to another game while at a Rebel game just because it makes sick to my stomach to try to listen to the game i'm there to watch.The atheletic director,superintendent and coaching staff should do something about it.At the very least look at another radio station doing tihe games.Or get someone that can do the game in a professional manner.I know that these guys don't get paid much for what they do and most do it just because they love sports and that is fine but there is a perception put out about the Community on these broadcasts and the perception of the area and the school and the Rebel football team is being hurt by what is on the air now covering Rebel sports.

occhsfanvischattanooga,

Call the station at 731 885-0051 and ask for Rodney, Don or Kathy. They are the ones to complain to if you want something done. I'm sure they don't even know of this site or the forum.

My outlook as it relates to play by play announcing goes is that it's always better to be informative than give one's opinion.. People who are unable to attend the games whether it be for sickness, those in nursing homes,retirement homes,

work in factories,etc., depend on local radio to give the best insight on the games as possible.. They don't care whether it should have been a foul called, travel called or whatever.. All the listener cares about is if a foul is called or a travel is called.. The main thing an announcer can do is always keep people up to date on what the score is and what time is left in the game.. Dead air for 10 to 15 second stretches on a radio broadcast should not be tolerated.. The first key to be successful in radio is to inform as it relates to news, sports, music, etc... That's all a devoted listener that WANTS to hear a Professional Broadcast is concerned about

Credibility is a must if you want to do a good job..

Most of the people that announce local games on the radio do a good job..

• 1 year later...
If the announcers can call the game without getting excited for their home team hitting a basket, or yelling at the ref because of a bad call.. i listen.

personally, being a dyer county alumni, i have to say the staff from WTRO/WASL 1450 AM do a great job at keeping their composure during the game.

I'm sure EVERYONE remembers the past few years, as the girls went 33-1 ... as the boys team went to state back to back times... i admit, the guys got excited on the air and for good reason!!!

but to my original point, for a loudmouth redneck to get on the air and try to call a game, is a shame... because they get wrapped up in cheering for their kids or their friend's kids instead of relaying the game to listeners.

Just have class about it... do your job... celebrate off the air!! :o

825163233[/snapback]

Not sure who you are but I totally agree with what you said . Sometimes you have to call a spade a spade even if they are nice too you but he is a redneck and it totally shows lets just hope it doesnt come out on the radio next year when we play a black team cause he will show his true colors sooner or later