Would this idea help promote the sport?

SilentJohn

If a small school cannot field a full team, dont they have the option to compete in the weight classes they can fill? Many coaches in this situation consider the matches they wrestle and if they compete in 7 and win 4 weight classes, that is pretty close to a victory, albeit a moral one. Lets face it, our sport is first and foremost an individual effort.

I hear what you're saying . But how many kids want to come out for a sport that not only is hard but on top of that your team is going to get killed 72-0 or 60-12

3 times a week? Again, I'm talking about the schools where building a wrestling foundation has been a challenge.

Danny Gilbert said something on the radio the other night that really rang true with me, about needing to show concern for those programs that are struggling. I agree that we have to try to take care of the little guys or eventually the whole sport will suffer. I'm a SD guy, so I appreciate where that program is right now. But I think the wrestling scene was much healthier around town when RedBank, Hixson, East Ridge, and Notre Dame were stronger programs. Hey, I even remember Tyner was a powerhouse once. Do they even have a team anymore?

I think if we don't do something, in 10 years wrestling runs the risk of becoming a "novelty" sport like rowing or diving, practiced by a few elite programs but not part of the "mainstream" of sports.

JMO~

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I seen a old(1971-1974) photo of Cleveland and their mat's wrestling

area was square not a circle as we have now. It did look odd. But

the wrestler was mostly covered.

We were down to 3 wrestlers 3 years ago, this year we have

23 wrestlers. With 4 wrestlers going to state.

A small team can grow, wrestling must be sold to the

school, the students and the parents of these students.

Michael Morelan

Edited by morelanmn