Would this idea help promote the sport?

SilentJohn

I was talking to somone who isn't that familiar with wrestling about the problems that some schools have fielding full rosters due to lack of tradition and interest.

This guy is from out West, and he asked me "Why don't they have a division with fewer weights for those smaller schools so they can compete with each other"

Where he is from , they have 8 man football, and that allows the schools with only 100-200 kids a chance to field a team and compete in spite of only being able to get 12-15, maybee 20, kids to participate.

So I put it to the experts on the board, would an 8 or 10 weight division help small schools get kids interested in wrestling?

I tend to think it would. For instance, some of the programs in the Chatt area I could see benifitting would be Brainerd, Howard, Lookout valley, etc.

I can see why this might be a good idea, now tell me why not. I'm sure there are complications and roadblocks I'm not thinking of. Help me out here.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

ok..I wore a three piece at one time...and wrestled on a mat cover....

kids today can were tights under the singlet if they choose to. If I were a coach that would be my answer to the singlet issue, and its a non issue. A singlet for the reason for not wrestling is the first in a line of excuses to follow. The excuse is "I am under a spotlight for my efforts, if they fall short, I have no excuse."

No one said wrestling was easy.

If a small school cannot field a full team, dont they have the option to compete in the weight classes they can fill? Many coaches in this situation consider the matches they wrestle and if they compete in 7 and win 4 weight classes, that is pretty close to a victory, albeit a moral one. Lets face it, our sport is first and foremost an individual effort.

If you take your "team" to the state individuals and come away with 3 state champs, you would likely be in the top ten. Is there no honor in that?

Again, in our capitalistic society, someone design a singlet that gives the appearance of shorts tied into a tank top. From this thread, you might clean up!

reftn