Lewis County Basketball

fadeaway

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think this thread had wandered off topic at all. Howard Spears' name has been popping up as a possibility to fill any vacancies in Lewis County as well as in surrounding counties. There has been speculation from the West (Perry Co.) as well as the South (Lawrence Co.). Keep in mind they are rumors, but if any are true, they are getting a great coach.

Can anyone tell me what the possible times are for the high school girls games are for the rest of the week? Since our season is finally over :wub: I would like to try to see them play. I remember seeing several of them play before, and reading some posts on CoachT has made me want to make the trip. Thank you for any help.

Edited by realcat83

How about this: instead of all 12 people who live in Lewis County getting on here and talking about the coaching jobs (if there even are any), why don't we let this thread die and when a final decision is made about the jobs,then we can get on here and talk about who the coaches really are and if they will be able to handle the heavy load of following 2 successful coaches!The thread was interesting at first, but I think it has been carried a little to far.

Edited by stepbackandburythethree

Yes Basketball fans. The Legend's name has one again surfaced as a possible candidate for potential coaching vacancies around the Southeast as well as at home in Lewis County. I spoke with a prominent member of the basketball booster club yesterday and a package deal is being put together as we speak to bring "the Bear" back home to Lewis County Middle School. It all began back about 25 years ago when the Bear left his position on Rocky Top as a Graduate Assistant Coach for Ray Mears at Tennessee to return home to Lewis County to rebuild a struggling Middle School Girls Team. In his first season at the helm, the Lady Raiders claimed the Three Rivers District Championship. After a few seasons at LCMS, the Bear took over a Mediocre Lady Panthers team and won 24 games and another District Championship before losing to eventual State Champion Brentwood by one in the sub-state. The Bear then went back to LCMS to take over a struggling Raiders team and to have the opportunity to coach his son. In four seasons the Bear had led the Raiders to a 22-1 record and a 1993 State Championship to go along with four consecutive Three Rivers Titles. At the request of then Basketball Booster Club President Al Keltner, the Bear accepted the boys Head Coaching position at LCHS. The Bear would build his new Panther Dynasty around the strong inside game of the 3 Headed Monster (Josh Keltner, Jonah Russell, and J.R. Smith). After leading the Panthers to back-to-back District Titles and 25 win seasons, the Bear decided it was time to hang his whistle up. He purchased a 200 acre ranch/estate in western Lewis County and started a new internet company and auction business known as "The Bear's Bargain Barn".

A deal is in the making that might just bring the Bear out of retirement for one last farewell tour at LCMS. Garry Craig, a longtime friend of the Bear, is putting together curriculum for a course Coach Spears would teach to 8th graders entitled "How to make your first million on ebay". Hugh Smith, athletic director and member of the Bear's Coaching family, is working on naming the floor at LCMS "The Bear's Court" and will have this painted just inside the hash mark on each end. Dean Heady, former LCMS principal and friend of the Bear, is writing a grant to buy a new driver's ed. car for the Bear to drive to school and keep over the summer. The 4-Horseman have agreed to join the Bear's staff and become the "Fab Five". The Bear's close friend and former coaching partner "Cowboy" Wayne Tatum will return to LCMS and work in the computer lab while also serving as Director of Basketball Operations and Coaching Consultant. Several Community businesses have joined the booster club with incentives including one year of free gas at Crowell food mart, unlimited free breakfast at the New Golden Saddle resturant located just across the street from the Spears Estate, one year of free video rentals from mid-town video. Snappy's will provide free pizza to the coaching staff after every victory. Floyd Culberson, LC Basketball Booster Club President, had these comments, "The entire Community has responded with unmatched generosity to help us in our efforts to secure a Coaching Staff unmatched throughout Tennessee. We believe that the time is right for the Bear to make his long awaited return to the sidelines."