Sequatchie County

Bill#49

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things have been awful quiet in Dunlap the last week or so what is going on in Sequatchie? Have they decided to open the process back up? Will they offer the job to Tim or Chad? Will there be a spring practice? I have heard it said that Tim and Chad may take the players out for Spring practice? Does this mean one of them will be named HC? I mean how can the team go through spring drills without a HC? What scheme will they run? If Tim or Chad are not named HC how can they run a spring. It would be a waste of time. Wake up Dunlap !!! Name a coach and move forward. Let the merry-go-round end.

Things have been awful quiet in Dunlap the last week or so what is going on in Sequatchie? Have they decided to open the process back up? Will they offer the job to Tim or Chad? Will there be a spring practice? I have heard it said that Tim and Chad may take the players out for Spring practice? Does this mean one of them will be named HC? I mean how can the team go through spring drills without a HC? What scheme will they run? If Tim or Chad are not named HC how can they run a spring. It would be a waste of time. Wake up Dunlap !!! Name a coach and move forward. Let the merry-go-round end.

The word in Chattanooga is that Tim is the head coach but I haven't heard anyone from the Valley confirm it.

This to me as a fan has been very embarrassing that a coach hasn't been named by now if its Coach Taylor I would be fine with that I mentioned in a post when he was let go at Marion Co. how could they do that to a coach who takes a team with not all that many athletes and finishes second in the region.

I think they should have had a Head Coach named within 3 or 4 weeks!

ELA, I talked to Tim Friday and he has not been named HC yet. I think he is getting an interview for the job. He is currently working at Sequatchie as an assistant, he started there Monday. Sequatchie you are correct in the wonderful coaching job Tim did at Marion last year. I have known him for quiet awhile and I worked with him for 5 years. We were both assistants under Coach Pickett and I worked three years under him while he was HC. Sequatchie Co. could not go wrong with Tim he is a class act and a good football coach. I also feel that Chad would make an excellent choice as HC. He is passionate about the game and has a great relationship with the players. My point is with these two top quality coaches right under their noses why is it taking the powers that be so long to make a decision.

From a business stand point you have two excellent offensive and defensive coaches already on staff, maybe they are using the head job as a lure to get another top quality coach on board. Might not be the proper thing to do, but again from a business stand point, and "the powers that be" have to be under alot of preasure to build a program to meet the expectations of the community. I am not saying if this is the case that I agree, I am saying that I can understand if this is what they are doing.

Possum you may be right in a sense but it is definitely wrong if they are using Coach Taylor and Coach Barger to lure another coach into the fold. I will tell you from what I know is if Chad or Tim do not get the job then there may be a strong possibility of Sequatchie losing one of those top assistants, maybe to a rival school. Just a thought. As far as expectations go sometimes expectations need to meet reality. I hear all the time about the tradition in Sequatchie and the past go look at the playoff records. A second or third round is as deep in the playoffs as I can remember Seq being ever. Of course my memory goes only back to the mid 80's. The athletic pool in Dunlap is limited and a run in the playoffs very deep is unlikely in AA as long as DL and Goodpasture are there. Also do not forget Tyner in your own Region and Alcoa, Sweetwater and Oliver Springs the other way. With the multiplier if Seq stays AA you will include Tyner and Boyd both in the region then CPA, Ezell etc. in the playoffs. My point is No matter who coaches Seq, heck dig up Bear Bryant and put him on the sidelines,until the people in Dunlap have a realistic view of what the program should be judged on then the will go through coaches every 3 years as usual.

Good point, but if you are Tim or Chad and you are not going to be picked as head coach, would you want the commitee to just hire someone because they feel rushed? I think if I was one of them I would be patient and see how things turn out, if niether one of them are in the running I would hope they would at least have a say in the selection. I know several of the people on the commitee and there are only about three that knows high school football, one that thinks he does,ha. It just seems logical to me that the two coaches that are involved NOW in football and that know what they are doing at least have a say in the selection process, but that may make too much since.

Edited by possum

Just a thought. As far as expectations go sometimes expectations need to meet reality. I hear all the time about the tradition in Sequatchie and the past go look at the playoff records. A second or third round is as deep in the playoffs as I can remember Seq being ever. Of course my memory goes only back to the mid 80's. The athletic pool in Dunlap is limited and a run in the playoffs very deep is unlikely in AA as long as DL and Goodpasture are there. Also do not forget Tyner in your own Region and Alcoa, Sweetwater and Oliver Springs the other way. With the multiplier if Seq stays AA you will include Tyner and Boyd both in the region then CPA, Ezell etc. in the playoffs.

wardawg2038, I really disagree with you I think as for as expectations go most if they really now football wouldn't say that Sequatchie Co. could win the state championship! I hope to see it or be able to actually think it at some point in the future but you would have to be crazy to think it at this time or in the past. If you look at playoff records you will see as you say playing in the second or third rounds is great for a school like Sequatchie Co. every two or three years and in the late 80's early to mid-90's it was expected on occasion but the real expectatinos that I have and what I think most in town would have to say is with a given schedule finish with a record of say that a 7-3, 8-3 or 9-1 season at least every other year. Try and get 3 of 5 or better every year against "Valley" teams and I would be happy. Its going back a ways but in 1973 Sequatchie was either in the State Champ. game or the Finals. I go back to actually going to games in '89 or '90. I remember being at the 7-6 Marion Co. win and the 3rd round playoff loss to Gatlinburg.

The "athletic pool" is not all that limited I would disagree you have some students who would have been great players but chose not to play or quit school or othe etc... I feel that Sequatchie County over the past was 2nd in the "Valley" to Marion Co. as for as athletes goes and it showed on the field and I think this past year maybe the past several they were still 2nd best in the "Valley" to South Pittsburg but it didn't show on the field specificly the scoreboard.

I do agree with you on that as long as the Nashville privates are around that a second round playoff game is as for as any "valley" or 3-2A team can except to get but maybe Tyner and now Boyd. Thats why I really hope that Sequatchie Co. decides to jump up to AAA possibly Marion Co. as well we already have to play the AAA schools in basketball, baseball etc..

In the 15 years prior to 1999, the teams were a combined 110-60. That's a rough number since I did it out of my head but if that's not it then it's real close. That's seven wins a year over a long period of time and with Layne, Fulkerson, Fritts, Davis and Zeller coaching. It sounds like the program did well even with the coaching turnover. They went to the 3rd round in 88, 89, 90, 93, 95 and 96, with three different coaches. A few teams made it to the semis and finals from around the area, but not many. I can think of Boyd-Buchanan, South Pittsburg, Whitwell (once), Marion, Meigs, Tyner, Rhea County, Cleveland, Red Bank (once). A couple of those probably don't have close to the number of wins over that time and I believe rarely made it past the first or second round. I counted the record against Bledsoe, Whitwell, Marion, South Pittsburg and Grundy as 41-30 over 15 years, not dominating, but better than .500 in the fiercest rivalry games anyone will play anywhere. Some years they didn't play all 5 teams. Sequatchie has not done well against Alcoa but did beat Oliver Springs in the only time I remember them playing. It looks to me the program has been a lot more solid than what you might think, more than the one 20 miles north especially. And starting at 1998 and going back wasn't a knock on the coach let go, it was a round number that goes back 20 total years.

Indian, I would venture to say the one 20 miles to the north had quiet a few wins over the one to the south in that time. Going bak to Swafford era in the early 80's that program pretty well dominated the one in the south. After that Seq. hit a five year run during the Quay era up north. Then when coaches changed and Coach Brown coame in the tide shifted again and play was pretty even. I remember a Bledsoe win when Seq. made one of those deep playoff runs and the Warriors did not make the playoffs. Anyway that is not the topic. My post was about expectations. Lets see Seq. went 6-4 this year and got beat in the first round of the playoffs by goodpasture. Team was third in the region behind Tyner and Marion. That is one win off of that wonderful 7-3 record average you were talking about. If you go back to some of those seasons when Sequatchie went deep in the playoffs look who they played Baxter, South Greene, one year they beat Bledsoe who was in the other region( side note Bledsoe had won during regular season and Coach Brown was suspended from coaching in the game due to a controversial situation at Smith Co. in week 10). Jackson Co., Livingston Acad. the list goes on. Not exactly football powers, I would know b/c Bledsoe played in the region with Jackson, Cannon, Upperman etc. for a few years. When they played tougher teams they were knocked out ie. Gattlinburg- Pittman, Alcoa etc. Oh yeah the GP loss was in the 2nd round to GP not the third like it really matters though. THe point I was making is that Seq. has went through some great coaches and doesn't seem to be able to keep any. Each coach is going to be better than the last and after a few years his welcome is worn out. As a coach that sends a red flag up to me when I research a possible job opening and their is a high turnover rate. Either not enough money or other problems. I think Dunlap is a wonderful place with alot of good people I just feel they are making a mistake with this committee process and need to get a coach named and move forward.