Sequatchie County

Bill#49

Spring practice is not until May, from what I am told. A coach could be in by the start of April, maybe one already on staff, and a month should be plenty of time to get things together. I left out McMinn Central, they had a couple of really good runs and it's amazing to me how they've collapsed but that's another topic. Seven wins a year is still a good number, and I think the team is 8-8 against South Pittsburg the last 20 years (didn't play for four years 1993-96 because of the move to 5 classes, scheduling conflicts). Some of the opponents in the first round will have lesser records when they're third or fourth. South Greene was ranked 2nd in the state in 1995 and Sequatchie beat them 21-7 or so in the second round. Maybe they were overrated but I think they were still 11-0. Upperman barely lost to Webb in 96, Webb won the state. Gatlinburg Pittman was in the third round in 1990. Some good playoff wins were against Oneida, Smith County, Oliver Springs, McMinn Central. As for old time games against Bledsoe. do you remember the night Jim Swafford was knocked out? Not just out of the game, but knocked out.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do remember that! I have alot of fond and not so fond memories of the Bledsoe Sequatchie Co. Series. I remember Coach Brown's first year when we we tied in the jamboree and lost to the 10-0 team in the season, Which I felt was Sequathcie's best chance at a state run. I als oremember My senior year beating Sequatchie 7-0 for the first Bledsoe win in 5 years. I played a small part in that one scoring the games only TD. I als o remember Sequatchie running up and down the field on us my Fr. and So. years and us never really being in those games. (Quay era). It is a great rivalry that sparks some of my best thoughts about HS football. Anyway I hope things work out well in Dunlap and a Coach is put in place soon. You guys have in my open(which is biased in someones) two great coaches on staff that i would put up against any in the state. Tim did a remarkable job at Marion last year(my opinion he got more out of his players than anybody in the state last year) with a severe lack of depth and experience, 13 sr. graduated from the year before 2 starters back on offense one on defense. Chad is a very energetic young coach who will make some one a fine HC when given the opportunity. I know what he is going through with the youth thing but his time will come if not at Sequatchie then somewhere else. He knows the game and it has a passion for it because it has always been apart of his life. Youth league, HS college and now coaching. He pours enormous amounts of time into his job and the kids like and respect him. I do not see why Sequatchie is looking somewhere else than these two. hope this deal is done in the next couple of weeks so they can move forward toward spring. Good luck to the Indians.

I would not be disappointed at all if either was chosen. And I think the 20 year record against Pikeville is 13-8. And yes I remember the hook and ladder play. :lol: I also remember the 95 game when Sequatchie could have won except a player that had been smoking something earlier in the day messed up a play at the 1 yard line and Sequatchie lost by 5 I believe. Lots of interesting stuff over the years.

Indian or Sequatchi, what is the latest in Dunlap? For a job with alot of Buzz a few weeks ago it is dead silent now. Nobody is hearing anything from what I understand. C'mon it is time for Sequatchie to name a coach so the team will have a direction to move toward. I know from experience and from the others it is a tuff environment to work in for assistants when their is NO HC. Hard to enforce rules and push the kids to lift and work through agilities and such without a top man. Do you guys have any idea when a new coach will be named?