Why was a chair thrown?

sweepit

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree... this is getting a little too personal, especially after Coach Connell asked for you to e-mail him with all of your degrading comments. Bently, your comments are unwanted and unneeded. We all know who you are and what you stand for. Let's not act childish either, "Lee Connell I bet my daddy can pin your daddy." Where is that comment going anyways, besides a little preschool kid on the playground saying "I bet my daddy can beat up your daddy." Or a game of "Who has the better daddy?" That is rediculous. Let's honor his request whether you agree with it or not, e-mail him, don't post it on here. And quit bashing everyone and every little comment said... that is in the past, you can't change anything now. Let it go... or you could hold a grudge forever and act like a little child.

You ask what lessons are to be learned?

All of the wrestling family is taught from wee small to make a committment, work hard, be a student of the sport and respect its integrity ...two walk on the mat and one walks off the winner. You earn your spot by winning! This isn't football where better players often play out of position or don't play at all due to a coach's decision and there is nothing anyone can do about it. The wrestle-off is what this argument is all about. The wrestle off is the "holy grail" of our sport and should be defended at all costs. We have two tournaments and the State Duals is where every coach should do whatever ethical including moving around the lineup to bring home a championship. The Individual Tournament is called "individual" for a reason more than face value. McCallie's coach is a great man and a great coach, and I am sure he can take the heat. Just don't mess with the wrestle-off!

This message board is far too negative; I believe that people should not use it to criticize others, but rather inform others. It’s okay to disagree, but why make personal attacks, especially behind the cloak and safety of a computer. Most who have made criticisms have no clue who I am. If you want to attack me further, please do so via e-mail (gconnell@mccallie.org), not on this board, at least for my kids sake.

Gordon Connell

I agree that this has become a little to personal. If you feel the need to personally attack the McCallie coach, he has given his e-mail address for that purpose.

However, the board is here to discuss in a public forum the sport of wrestling and all that goes with that, including coaching moves. Questioning the moves, in my opinion should be okay. Attacking a the coach's character is not okay.

Lee--You are a very classy person and I appreciate your response and believe you are sincere in your posts. Most people in touch at all with wrestling in Tennessee know your dads record in wrestling speaks volumes. He has the numorous accomplishments you mentioned and obviously has proven himself an unbelievable coach and mentor. The debate on this thread by the serious posters is whether he handled this one instance correctly and there seems to be a large percentage of people who feel Spencer got a raw deal. You even mentioned you would not have handled it the same way. As Texas23 said it is fair discussion. It is well known also that your father is a humble ,christian person and trys to live his life that way. Its just that this particular decision seems out of charachter or at least out of the norm of most programs, and usually even McCallies as to how the decision as to who wrestled where is concerned. It seems to most that Spencer had earned his stripes and should not have ben the one shuffled. Im sure you and Spencers relationship will remain strong as you both have tons of characater and personality. And your father will get past this also as he has demonstrated he is a quallity person and coach. Its just that Spencer wears a scar he and his family feel is unjustified and have some legitamite concerns as to how the decision was made and to whose benefit it was made for, and why. Knowing Spencers performance and dedication to McCalllie the past 4 years it is hard for some to see why he wasnt a priority in an individual tournament. Again, your comments are appreciated, you are a great person. Good luck to you and your family.

Walkenvol-(Tim Manley) and Bently-(Spencer Manley)

In reading this thread I can see why there is some heated discussion, but what I see worse than anything else is a bitterness that will eat you both up. Nothing can change what has already happened. You must move on and try to put this behind you no matter who is right.

Cameroon, You are quite the class act. If Spencer is indeed Bentley, what was your intent in outing him to the general public on this thread? Your adding to the difficulty of him "moving on" as you put it. Coach Connell and Lee both had more sense than that and Coach Connell is the one whose judgement is in question. I hope Spencer is not Bentley but if he is, you are a true jerk. And isnt it interesting that you are a one time poster. Specifically to speak up on this topic. Care to say who you are? Who are you speaking for? How pitifully obvious.

Edited by Brickhousechick

I didn't want to get involved with this, but I must say that too much credit for losing is going to Spencer, to coaching, and to dad. I felt several days before state and still feel that Nick Marible (had) has the most to do with this win.

I disagree with those that wants to question a coach with the years of experience and success that this great coach has had. It isn't easy to lead a powerhouse team and make everyone happy, but Gordon is the man and I believe tries hard to be fair to all. The Manley's would have left the school long ago if they didn't believe that.

I disagree that Spencer would win 9 out of 10 matches. I felt this would be much closer, because I thought Nick would have just enough skill and sufficient strength to pull it out. Much closer than 10-5 against one of the strongest wrestlers in the state. I would suggest that out of 10 matches, head to head the ratio to be about 50%. A tie breaker in Nick's favor.

Also, I was certain that Nick would have beaten anyone in the state, D1 or D2 at 152 (not 160 however), not including Ryan Scott who Nick would have steam rolled because that was his ultimate goal that was swiped from him; I actually felt McCallie's greatest chance to win was to move Spencer into that weight class and they did.

Good luck with even greater successes,,,, to all of you great folks in Chatt-town!!

Soms :huh:

Edited by Sommers