should there be a shot clock?

milo1234

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

high school basketball teams are too focused on bringing the ball up the court slowly, passing 47 times, and then finding a open man for a layup, this is not how basketball is played

It's not? Too focused on bringing the ball up? Too much passing? Too bothersome to work to find a smart shot or wide-open man? You're kidding me :lol:

btw, nobody has answered the question as to just what the other team was doing while MLK was stalling.

Edited by Pantherbert

There definitly needs to be a shot clock. All other highschool sports have a play clock.

What if football didnt have a play clock? the quarterback could just sit under the center until the quarter expired. How boring. same when a team stops and holds the ball.

Even if the clock gives them a 60 seconds. Just do it.

As it is, when a team gets up by 5, especially in tournaments, they stop the action.

Thats terrible.

What if football didnt have a play clock? the quarterback could just sit under the center until the quarter expired. How boring. same when a team stops and holds the ball.

Apples and oranges Viking. In football, the defense can only play defense when the ball is in play which is why there is a playclock in football. In basketball there is nothing that prevents a team from playing enough defense to keep a another team from just holding the ball for an extended period of time.

Really if a team wants to hold the ball and you let them then your team is slowing the game down by not doing anything about it. Get out there and play a little defense if you want the ball back. And I don't think coaches nor players are interested in if the fans have a good time or not. It's about winning and advancing to the next round. And if I were a coach and holding the ball is what needed to be done I'd do it. The defense can change my mind by getting after it and hustling.

Really if a team wants to hold the ball and you let them then your team is slowing the game down by not doing anything about it. Get out there and play a little defense if you want the ball back. And I don't think coaches nor players are interested in if the fans have a good time or not. It's about winning and advancing to the next round. And if I were a coach and holding the ball is what needed to be done I'd do it. The defense can change my mind by getting after it and hustling.

Thank God, somebody said it.

No, there is NO need for a shot clock. If you don't like that teams hold the ball, GUARD THEM. Get within 6 feet, a 5 second count starts, they have to give up the ball. Sitting back in yourlittle safe zone while they hold it is a strategic move. YOU'RE letting them do it. (I am, of course, referring to the teams, not the fans... don't get the wrong impression). A shot clock would just give the players, coaches, and especially referees something else to worry about, and in reading all the threads on here, the refs don't need anything else to worry about. The rules are there to stop it, so do something about it as a defense.

. And I don't think coaches nor players are interested in if the fans have a good time or not.

I don't think that is necessarily true but fans do have the most fun when their team is winning. That's what coaches and players work so hard to do. You're post was right on. You too Kendren. I'm thankful that there at least a few of us who have seen the light :angry: