Franklin Asking for a co-champ

texas23

Well if you had a track record with the previous ones, you would understand the statement. Neither of them had a clue about the sport of wrestling. Mrs. Dickerson understands the sport very well and supports the athletes and the FHS Wrestling Program.

Thank you Mrs. Dickerson on your continued support of the FHS Wrestling Program!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that this Thursday in Murfreesboro, Franklin High School principal, Mrs. Willie Dickerson, will appeal the TSSAA for Bond Davis to be recognized as champion. I believe that this is ethically and professionally the right thing to do.

The TSSAA is obligated to be a steward for all participants and for Bond's sake it should be demanded that this organization corrects this mistake that has been made. It is apparrent that the whole state of wrestling supports a correction. I anxiously await the decision of the TSSAA board.

So my message to the TSSAA is, "Do the right thing."

And my message to Mrs. Dickerson is, "You go girl!"

My opinion on this matter has nothing to do with Bond Davis or Luke Sanders; I think both wrestlers are outstanding athletes and on any given day either one could have been state champ. My fear is that if this "missed call" by the official is overturned where will this all end? Will every bad call caught on tape be overturned?

Even if Davis is named co-champ what does that resolve? Does it diminish Sanders Championship? Matches are won and lost ALL the time because of missed or bad calls. I do think that it evens out over the long term.

My guess is that Bond Davis has won matches in the past that probably should have gone the other way but because of a missed or bad call he won.

Luke Sanders got a break in a huge match,but even after getting that break Bond Davis had an opportunity to win the state championship on the mat.

Luke Sanders won the match on the mat. I don't think that should be changed.

While I agree that Mrs. Dickerson should address the TSSAA Board of Control regarding this issue, I do not agree that Luke Sanders should loose his title. Both of these young men are well matched and if anything, Co Champions should be declared. I do believe that in this situation the TSSAA rules should include a stipulation that in this event such as this one, video tapes from each school &/or TSSAA official coverage should be reviewed.

Edited by sundancer

My opinion on this matter has nothing to do with Bond Davis or Luke Sanders; I think both wrestlers are outstanding athletes and on any given day either one could have been state champ. My fear is that if this "missed call" by the official is overturned where will this all end? Will every bad call caught on tape be overturned?

Even if Davis is named co-champ what does that resolve? Does it diminish Sanders Championship? Matches are won and lost ALL the time because of missed or bad calls. I do think that it evens out over the long term.

My guess is that Bond Davis has won matches in the past that probably should have gone the other way but because of a missed or bad call he won.

Luke Sanders got a break in a huge match,but even after getting that break Bond Davis had an opportunity to win the state championship on the mat.

Luke Sanders won the match on the mat. I don't think that should be changed.

Where do I start to respond to all that you have said, kjfan?

I should make it clear that I feel that the TSSAA should at this level of wrestling be obligated to do what is necessary to be clear about the results of factual calls.

It would be bad judgment to let things just "even themselves out" as you have said. Tell that to Bond Davis when he applies for a scholarship to a college. I would bet you that second does not get you much in that department and in this case he was factually First. No one is trying to diminish Luke Sanders. He is a great wrestler. This has nothing to do with him as a wrestler. The point here has to do with being sure that in the finals of a state wrestling tournament that accuracy is of the utmost importance.

This should not be happening to Bond Davis or to Luke Sanders. That is the point of the appeal. This is very simple.

I paid $12 to make this repsonse.

If you are going to go back and GIVE something because of the reviewing of the tape, dont make it HALF right.

This is not a judgement call, it is academic. The tape does not lie.

If you are going to reverse the result based on the tape, Luke Sanders doesnt lose his title, he never earned it. Period. End of discussion.

Bond Davis is state champ.

That is IF you go by tape review. And be prepared for the pandoras box you open.

IF the decision stands as is, RC reprimand the officials, Franklin principal reprimand the coaches (if they are at error at all) and SHE needs to understand what is happening to HER program and the destruction so far.

Then, Luke Sanders is state champ.

This is so much bull about a shared title, typical of our society today where we all need a feel good to keep our self esteem in its appropriate place because they are both deserving. Sorry, thats not done in this sport. The do it in football and other physical activities where they "play". Again, sorry, in this sport we WRESTLE until there is but one champ.

I do applaud the Franklin principal, parents, team, et al for taking it to the mat to highlight a wrong done to their kid. No problem. You've made your point, now move on.

reftn

I paid $12 to make this repsonse.

If you are going to go back and GIVE something because of the reviewing of the tape, dont make it HALF right.

This is not a judgement call, it is academic. The tape does not lie.

If you are going to reverse the result based on the tape, Luke Sanders doesnt lose his title, he never earned it. Period. End of discussion.

Bond Davis is state champ.

That is IF you go by tape review. And be prepared for the pandoras box you open.

IF the decision stands as is, RC reprimand the officials, Franklin principal reprimand the coaches (if they are at error at all) and SHE needs to understand what is happening to HER program and the destruction so far.

Then, Luke Sanders is state champ.

This is so much bull about a shared title, typical of our society today where we all need a feel good to keep our self esteem in its appropriate place because they are both deserving. Sorry, thats not done in this sport. The do it in football and other physical activities where they "play". Again, sorry, in this sport we WRESTLE until there is but one champ.

I do applaud the Franklin principal, parents, team, et al for taking it to the mat to highlight a wrong done to their kid. No problem. You've made your point, now move on.

reftn

Nicely said. I said that in an earlier post that it can not be both ways. This is not your kids soccer team where everyone needs to feel good about partcipating.

One Champion per Division and weight class. No more.

Just don't try to make the whole thing taste good by saying we have co-champs.

Great post reftn. And worth the 12 bucks.

REFTN,

I agree with what you are saying to a certain degree. I don't want either athlete done wrong! My concern is how the issue was handled. The Franklin Coaches did what they felt was best, the scoring table did what they thought was best and neither group were seriously heard. TSSAA rules were followed based on the understanding of the officials. I understand that Ronnie Carter was not there during this match, but where was his delegate? Would this have been handled differently?

I also applaud Mrs. Dickerson and FHS Wrestling Coaches for addressing this issue through the appropriate channels.

P.S. Glad you had the $12 to make the post!

How refreshing, REFTN, your comments regarding the abandonment of all of this political correctness that we try to apply to everything. I appreciate the straight forward approach.

Now I will let go and not mince any words with you. Your reference about some kind of "destruction" in Franklin's program could not be farther from what is happening there. There has been so much progress in the wrestling program this past year. It has been a really exciting thing to watch. They have so much to look forward to in the next season and beyond. That's what it's all about, isn't it, supporting these boys as they grow in their sport to the best of their abilities?

Tommorrow, I hope that there will be some celebrating to do. But regardless of the final word from the TSSAA, people across the state know the result of this match.

I do know of what I speak with regard to the program.

I have watched this program grow since the coach came from Fairview, since Davis was at Freedom and I called his matches there. Without a doubt this is a model of how to build a program, and alot of people are due thanks.

I throw no fault at the coaches. If RC had been at the tournament, you would have had no different an outcome. He (based on history) would have backed the officials. Given there is no recourse to review tape, I feel this outcome would be where you have it today.

That said, a dual championship would be, imho, a travesty. If we must review the tape, how can we render anything but an outright championship? And if we review the tape, we have not heard the last of tape review. RC should invest in a storage closet for all the video he will be sent.

Thank you for not offering to send me the $12 back and rescend my premie account. Lets hope the door is slammed shut on this event Thursday.

reftn