Franklin Asking for a co-champ

texas23

Franklin seeks title for Davis

JEFF LOCKRIDGE

Staff Writer

Franklin High School will ask the TSSAA to recognize two state champions in the 145-pound wrestling class after the Rebels’ Bond Davis lost in the championship.

Davis placed second to Montgomery Central’s Luke Sanders at the individual state tournament Feb. 21 in Chattanooga, losing a double-overtime match. After the match there was a question about whether Sanders had been warned three times for false starts - an automatic disqualification. Videotape later confirmed the three warnings. Sanders eventually won by pin.

Franklin Principal Willie Dickerson is drafting a letter to TSSAA Executive Director Ronnie Carter and the issue will be heard by the Board of Control on March 18.

“We’re asking a special provision be made for the 145 weight class to declare two champions,” Dickerson said. “We’re trying to clarify why a decision was not finalized that day (of the match), because we followed every procedure. My coaches did not leave the mat area after the match. I think Bond needs to be recognized.”

Carter said last week the match score won’t be changed because, “What our handbook says is the decision of the officials is final and binding.”

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke w/ Jeff Lockridge regarding the statement in the article about disqualifying of Sanders, because my understanding is that a point should have been awarded to Davis after the 3rd false start caution. He is aware of the misprint and they will be writing a clarification.

It is my opinion that both athletes should be recognized as state champions. They are both amazing athletes!

Bond did what he had to in order to win and so did Luke. Luke won his gold and should never feel that it is threatened. Again, Bond did what he had to, but didn't get the point in overtime that was rightfully his. The TSSAA has shown up at athlete's doorsteps in the past to take a trophy away for mistakes. In this case I could never see that happening, but I could see a co-champion awarded and putting this thing to rest and putting measures in place to avoid it in the future.

Texas, you and I both know that adults will not feel intimidated as much as young students if they have a problem to confront some of these 30 year veterans with.

soms

Edited by Sommers

If the IOC, the strictest body governing rules of sport found anywhere, can give two sets of gold medals for two skating pairs found in the last Olympics, then surely the TSSAA can do likewise. Yes, it is highly unusual, but so are the circumstances that surround this dilemma.

I would like to commend Franklin High School and its principal, Ms. Willie Dickerson, for standing up for the rights of its student athlete, Bond Davis, and for being a champion of this cause. This is clearly a case of doing what is right. It would have been a usual response when told by TSSAA officials that nothing could be done to right this situation to just give up. Ms. Dickerson has obviously realized this to be a tactic used by beaurocracies to keep themselves from ever being challenged.

It is unfortunate for Bond Davis that new territory has to be discovered at his expense. But I am hopeful that what he is going through will help athletes in the future to not experience this kind of heartache.

As I have said in a previous post, wrestlers at this level deserve the time that it takes to get the correct results of a match without doubt. That did not happen in this case. A few minutes would have been all it would have taken to have ascertained the number of cautions that occurred, without question. Being in a hurry to get on with the tournament and to make a decision had a high price for Bond. At the very least he should be recognized as a co-champion along with Luke Sanders.

Good luck to Ms. Dickerson and Franklin High School when they meet with the TSSAA board later this month. Again, I commend this effort that is being made.

I would like to commend Franklin High School and its principal, Ms. Willie Dickerson, for standing up for the rights of its student athlete, Bond Davis, and for being a champion of this cause. This is clearly a case of doing what is right. It would have been a usual response when told by TSSAA officials that nothing could be done to right this situation to just give up. Ms. Dickerson has obviously realized this to be a tactic used by beaurocracies to keep themselves from ever being challenged.

It is unfortunate for Bond Davis that new territory has to be discovered at his expense. But I am hopeful that what he is going through will help athletes in the future to not experience this kind of heartache.

As I have said in a previous post, wrestlers at this level deserve the time that it takes to get the correct results of a match without doubt. That did not happen in this case. A few minutes would have been all it would have taken to have ascertained the number of cautions that occurred, without question. Being in a hurry to get on with the tournament and to make a decision had a high price for Bond. At the very least he should be recognized as a co-champion along with Luke Sanders.

Good luck to Ms. Dickerson and Franklin High School when they meet with the TSSAA board later this month. Again, I commend this effort that is being made.

Well put, Nance. I can see RC and the TSSAA board making things right for the sport, not just Bond.

Good luck to Bond, Franklin, The TSSAA, and the sport in arriving at an equitable decision. Let's be sure to allow Luke Sanders retain what he worked so hard for and not tarnish his memories. Again, if Olympic level officials can make it right, then so can High Schools'.

soms

I would like to commend Franklin High School and its principal, Ms. Willie Dickerson, for standing up for the rights of its student athlete, Bond Davis, and for being a champion of this cause.  This is clearly a case of doing what is right.  It would have been a usual response when told by TSSAA officials that nothing could be done to right this situation to just give up.  Ms. Dickerson has obviously realized this to be a tactic used by beaurocracies to keep themselves from ever being challenged.

It is unfortunate for Bond Davis that new territory has to be discovered at his expense.  But I am hopeful that what he is going through will help athletes in the future to not experience this kind of heartache. 

As I have said in a previous post, wrestlers at this level deserve the time that it takes to get the correct results of a match without doubt.  That did not happen in this case.  A few minutes would have been all it would have taken to have ascertained the number of cautions that occurred, without question.  Being in a hurry to get on with the tournament and to make a decision had a high price for Bond.  At the very least he should be recognized as a co-champion along with Luke Sanders.

Good luck to Ms. Dickerson and Franklin High School when they meet with the TSSAA board later this month.  Again, I commend this effort that is being made.

Well put, Nance. I can see RC and the TSSAA board making things right for the sport, not just Bond.

Good luck to Bond, Franklin, The TSSAA, and the sport in arriving at an equitable decision. Let's be sure to allow Luke Sanders retain what he worked so hard for and not tarnish his memories. Again, if Olympic level officials can make it right, then so can High Schools'.

soms

I think we all know now that Davis won that match by the three cautions from the ref against Sanders.

If the correct call would have been made at the time of the third caution, then Sanders would not have a championship.

Why then do we get so concerned that his efforts "do not get tarnished"? One of those two wrestlers did not win that match.

Just a point of view that I see where everyone has to win in this decision or maybe the TSSAA will not make the call to elevate Davis to first place unless Sanders remains there also.

It just does not seem right to have co-champs when you know that one wrestler always wins the match in the State championship.

Also, I am not sure why FHSrebel27 is going after previous principles in his post, can it not be enough that the current principle is doing the right thing?

Willie Dickerson is great! It's a good thing we have her at Franklin. I doubt some of our previous principles would have bothered with this. Good for her!

From what I've seen, she's a class act and full of charactor... AND not afraid to stand up for what is right. We need more like her that is not afraid and will boldly put her name behind her positions to "the powers that be."

Soms

Willie Dickerson is great! It's a good thing we have her at Franklin. I doubt some of our previous principles would have bothered with this. Good for her!

Well, as I read it, you are slapping the previous Principal's willingness to do what the current Principal is doing. I wonder if those previous Principals would read it the same as I do?