Franklin Asking for a co-champ

texas23

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In these cases, they were probably declared co-champions because they were on the same team and either they, or their coaches didn't want them wrestling each other.

I think Joe Bob is right on this one and that makes this a whole different story than wrestling each other for an outcome of winner and loser and then declaring co-champs.

soms, soms, soms....

Your credibility takes a severe hit with the mention of "pro wrestling" within this thread as any type of example to be followed.

I did chew on those examples, and the taste in my mouth was so bad I spit them out. I would prefer we crown NO champion at the 145 than co champions of any sort.

Or....maybe we could get them those belts the pro wrestlers duplicated, so they could each have one.

Dont take my sarcasm personally, we just see it two different ways.

reftn

soms, soms, soms....

Your credibility takes a severe hit with the mention of "pro wrestling" within this thread as any type of example to be followed.

I did chew on those examples, and the taste in my mouth was so bad I spit them out. I would prefer we crown NO champion at the 145 than co champions of any sort.

Or....maybe we could get them those belts the pro wrestlers duplicated, so they could each have one.

Dont take my sarcasm personally, we just see it two different ways.

reftn

actually, Reftn signature at the bottom of his post sums up this whole thread. Or should I say "soms" up this whole thread.

soms, soms, soms....

Your credibility takes a severe hit with the mention of "pro wrestling" within this thread as any type of example to be followed....

reftn

reftn,

I'm a little more miffed by the comparison of an event in wrestling to an event in figure skating. Just pickin' on you Soms. :lol:

My opinion on this matter has nothing to do with Bond Davis or Luke Sanders; I think both wrestlers are outstanding athletes and on any given day either one could have been state champ. My fear is that if this "missed call" by the official is overturned where will this all end? Will every bad call caught on tape be overturned?

Even if Davis is named co-champ what does that resolve? Does it diminish Sanders Championship? Matches are won and lost ALL the time because of missed or bad calls. I do think that it evens out over the long term.

My guess is that Bond Davis has won matches in the past that probably should have gone the other way but because of a missed or bad call he won.

Luke Sanders got a break in a huge match,but even after getting that break Bond Davis had an opportunity to win the state championship on the mat.

Luke Sanders won the match on the mat. I don't think that should be changed.

Where do I start to respond to all that you have said, kjfan?

I should make it clear that I feel that the TSSAA should at this level of wrestling be obligated to do what is necessary to be clear about the results of factual calls.

It would be bad judgment to let things just "even themselves out" as you have said. Tell that to Bond Davis when he applies for a scholarship to a college. I would bet you that second does not get you much in that department and in this case he was factually First. No one is trying to diminish Luke Sanders. He is a great wrestler. This has nothing to do with him as a wrestler. The point here has to do with being sure that in the finals of a state wrestling tournament that accuracy is of the utmost importance.

This should not be happening to Bond Davis or to Luke Sanders. That is the point of the appeal. This is very simple.

Nance

I feel obligated to respond back to your response

1. At what level should TSSAA be obligated to respond? After all wrong is wrong regardless of when a bad call is made.

2. Things evening themselves out have nothing to do with good or bad judgement I was just pointing out that this is just how things are.

3. On the scholarship issue I will only say Bond had better be cracking the books or have a trust fund even if the TSSAA gives Bond first place; there just aren't that many wrestling scholarships out there.

4. Please don't take this the wrong way I agree that a bad call was made. My son is a senior this year and I know all to well how bad a kid feels when he has done everything he needs to do to win only to have that win taken away because of a bad call.

5. Again my opinion has nothing to do with Davis or Sanders. I have come to the conclusion that the best thing that can happen as a result of all this is that the TSSAA will allow some type of review process for next year ,but leave things as they are for this year.

copied from www.tennwrestling.com message board....

...TSSAA Board of Control heard this case on Thursday. According to preliminary information there will be no co-champion declared, nor will the rules be modified to include the review of tapes in matches where questionable officiating/wrestling is involved.

Thank you to Mrs. Dickerson, FHS Coaches (Hill, Welder & Gillespie) & all fans involved in this process for using the recognized appeal process.

At some point, TSSAA will begin to use tapes to review questionable wrestling/officiating &/or unsportsmanlike conduct, just not today.

Congratulations to both Luke Sanders & Bond Davis for placing 1st & 2nd, respectively, in this weight class. You are both outstanding athletes and I feel sure your paths will cross again some day on the wrestling mat. Good luck to you both in the Freestyle/Greco season & we'll plan on watching you next year during Folkstyle season.

:unsure:

copied from www.tennwrestling.com message board....

...TSSAA Board of Control heard this case on Thursday. According to preliminary information there will be no co-champion declared, nor will the rules be modified to include the review of tapes in matches where questionable officiating/wrestling is involved.

Thank you to Mrs. Dickerson, FHS Coaches (Hill, Welder & Gillespie) & all fans involved in this process for using the recognized appeal process.

At some point, TSSAA will begin to use tapes to review questionable wrestling/officiating &/or unsportsmanlike conduct, just not today.

Congratulations to both Luke Sanders & Bond Davis for placing 1st & 2nd, respectively, in this weight class. You are both outstanding athletes and I feel sure your paths will cross again some day on the wrestling mat. Good luck to you both in the Freestyle/Greco season & we'll plan on watching you next year during Folkstyle season.

;)

Zero surprise in that decision by the TSSAA.

I not so sure about them going to tape review for some of the other things you listed. Was that communicated by the TSSAA, that it was coming "at some point in time", or is that just an opinion?

To my knowledge there has been no official (written) communication. Many states and national levels have gone to tape review for a variety of sporting events that may be used if needed. It is my opinion that at some point TN will follow the lead.

I am not suprised by the preliminary decision either.