Memphis Has Best High School Teams

Joka

Taurean Moy, guard from Booker T. Washington, was 24-44 from three as he had 83 points in a game against Manassas. He won Mr. Basketball but has bounced around from JUCO to JUCO and, as far as I know, hasn't actually played anywhere. Sad story.

thanks for telling me... man, 23 3's in one game is awesome, that is sad that he didnt do much after high school..... :justwrestle:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stokomo made a very good point about the year round basketball in the Memphis gettos. I too have witnessed kids (and sometimes very young kids) playing ball on the outside courts way past midnight. Hmmm, maybe this could also be a reason for the generally lower grades and ACT scores? Where are the parents of these kids? Somebody start a board on academic acheivment and see where you stand. Not even mentioning the dropout rate.

Who are these young people out at all hours? I've lived all over the state, and the only place in the state with more razor wire is the National Lab in Oak Ridge or the TVA nukes. Now why is that?

I don't care if you win every gold ball from now on, you can keep your city and all that comes with it.

Here in rural West TN we have our schools matched up with Memphis in almost all sports on the road to state tournaments.Exceptions are Class A basketball where this area has enough A schools to make up all of districts 13,14 & 15-A + part of 16.In AA & AAA there are more schools in Memphis/Shelby County than the rest of West TN.In boys basketball a rural team has to be very good in AA-AAA to advance to Murfreesboro because they have to face off with Memphis teams in Sub-State & usually lose those games.In girls basketball Memphis is weak & our local teams have good success making in to state.Unfortunately Middle & East TN have most of the better girls teams in the state.

In football it tends to be pretty even between Memphis & the rest of West TN in the 3 smaller classifications in which both areas have many schools.Most of 4-A & all of 5-A resides in Memphis/Shelby.The largest school in our area is Jackson Central-Merry which dropped to 4-A in 2003.In other sports like baseball,golf,etc it's pretty balanced in A-AA while Memphis wins most of the AAA matchups.

Wouldnt you start to realize after....oh....say 6 three pointers....that maybe, just maybe, you should put a guy or two on the person?????????

They tried. But two problems...first, they didn't have anybody who could even dream of staying with him, and second, Moy pulled up on the break all the time in the games I saw, and BTW pressed a lot. So if he was getting steals and pulling up on the break, there's not much you're going to do to stop him.

opperman,

Yes "Straight Jackets" do exist. I have one with your name on it.

Your Knowledge of Geography bores me. Any 9yr. old with a computer can obtain the same figures off the internet. Are we talking about metro areas or actual cities. Can any student in the Tri-Cities attend any school in the Tri-Cities they choose. Not unless they pay tuition. I think Stokomo & math man have given better reasons why Memphis is so good in basketball than you or I. Why don't you just accept that and move on. You are losing ground with your arguments anyway. Have a nice day.

WaCo :P JaCo

You may be thinking of strait jackets, not straight jackets. If you're going to try to argue, get your terms right.

I bore you because I'm right, thanks for the admission. Ya know, in last year's thread on this topic, I was told that any 5-yr-old can with a computer can obtain the same numbers. I guess next year's Memphis-only-wins-because-they're-bigger-than-the-rest-of-the-state-combined debate will feature me being told that any 13-year-old can do it.

Can any student in the Memphis area attend any school he chooses? No. The city itself had the policy for a while, but believe me, a lot more people wanted into White Station than actually got in. And they didn't give special preference to athletes, only to people who were already in their district.

And what part of my explanation of Memphis's dominance disagrees with what Stokomo and mathman, and Pudding, have said? We dominate basketball because basketball is what we do. Not football as much, not baseball, volleyball, golf, soccer, etc. Basketball.

Don't fear, rest of the state...I think this year is probably the last of the Spartan Dynasty, next year they'll still be really good, but not like they are right now. But somebody else in Memphis -- Ridgeway or Wooddale are my guesses -- will be ready to carry the torch.

Open enrollment has essentially ended in the city of Memphis. My dad is a broker and my mother works for the largest realtor firm in the state, Crye-Leike. They get many calls from parents wanting to know about schools that are nearby, they have said that for now, it's very unlikely to get to in to whatever school you want to get in to.

Many used open enrollment for things not associated with athletics. White Station has a program that is geared towards students with hearing disabilities, it's one of the best in the state. Their honors program is also exceptional, in fact, if you took only the ACT scores of the honors students there, it would be incredibly high. It was in the top 25 in the entire country when I graduated.

Part of the reason Memphis does so well is because they have a large enrollment. Most of the reason is the fact that they practice year round. My brother for instance, has played AAU since he was 12. Not many kids have that many AAU teams to choose from...most of the time it's just a dad doing it for one of his sons. I don't know where any of these 24 hour gated security courts are at. I know there is one on Mt. Moriah that might be open for awhile, but I wouldn't go to that place past about 5pm, and I'd only go there cus it's right behind the police station.

D2 was dominated by the Memphis Schools. BCS, CBHS, Bishop Byrne, all made it to the final round only to lose to BA. All D2 schools are open zoned and give financial aide...so even on a level playing field...Memphis was the best from top to bottom.

opperman,

I can always tell when someone has nothing more to add to a argument when they start picking on my spelling. You actually mean you didn't know what I was talking about ? Ok then, I have a "strait jacket" with your name on it.

Your right, a 5yr. old, 9yr. old, and a 13yr. old could come up with the same info you do. Stokomo, math man, and pudding, put forth a better explaination of Memphis Baskeball than you because they don't sound like a bitter old hag when they present it.

You say White Station never gives preference to athletes. I just wonder how you know. After all, other coaches in Memphis have complained about it. Some parents of non athletic students have complained about it. And then there is the story of the 7' foriegn student (I forget his name and what country he came from). I wonder why he was moved ahead of all those students on the waiting list? Ended up it didn't matter, as he left WS, only after a few practices with the team.

Also, isn't it odd open enrolement ends and the next year White Station's dynasty ends.

And by the way, your not right and you never will be. You just bore me.

your turn......

WaCo :o JaCo

Edited by WaCoJaCo

opperman,

I can always tell when someone has nothing more to add to a argument when they start picking on my spelling. You actually mean you didn't know what I was talking about ? Ok then, I have a "strait jacket" with your name on it.

Your right, a 5yr. old, 9yr. old, and a 13yr. old could come up with the same info you do. Stokomo, math man, and pudding, put forth a better explaination of Memphis Baskeball than you because they don't sound like a bitter old hag when they present it.

You say White Station never gives preference to athletes. I just wonder how you know. After all, other coaches in Memphis have complained about it. Some parents of non athletic students have complained about it. And then there is the story of the 7' foriegn student (I forget his name and what country he came from). I wonder why he was moved ahead of all those students on the waiting list? Ended up it didn't matter, as he left WS, only after a few practices with the team.

Also, isn't it odd open enrolement ends and the next year White Station's dynasty ends.

And by the way, your not right and you never will be. You just bore me.

your turn......

WaCo :o JaCo

So I go from being a 9-year-old to being an old hag? Is that your admission that you've been beaten? I love this, you never counter an argument other than to say what you said is obviously true, even when it obviously isn't, and you just make up new arguments when you're refuted. Oh no, I'm a bad moderator for saying this. EVIL OPPERMAN! BAD OPPERMAN!

How do I know they never give preference to athletes? Well, I'm not going to name names, but I'm pretty well-connected. Since Winnette became the principal there, no preference was given, and that's been several years now.

Why did Marc Gasol get moved ahead of people on the waiting list? Um, because Marc Gasol moved into the district. The waiting list was for people outside the school zone.

Yeah, it's really odd that the dynasty ends when the players that made it happen graduate. I guess we should investigate why every team drops off after a series of three or four strong senior classes in a row graduate. Strange. Very strange.

And apparently I bore you so much you reply every time.

Im not sure I even know what your saying opperman. You say your well-connected, but I don't think your well-connected between your brain and your fingers. You know John Kerry says foreign leaders support him, but he can't name names either.

Actually I never said you were a 9yr. old but I did say you acted like a bitter old hag. Do you think thats a admission I've been beaten? What I say is obviously true and what you say obviously isn't.

Now what size "strait jacket" do you wear?

WaCo ;) JaCo

Umm,

Waco, what are your reasons that White Station is dominating, you seem to admit that Memphis and the rest of the schools are winning, but I haven't heard your excuse about why you believe that is happening.

(I could have just missed it, I am a dumb moderator as well)

The only two reasons I have heard are:

1) Population

2) Facilities that allow them to practice 24/7

The first one is reasonable, yet Nashville has more people in it, but Memphis still is winning. As far as facilities, I would be willing to bet there are places that kids go to shoot in Nashville at all hours of the night...

Edited by TheEgoHasLanded