Memphis Has Best High School Teams

Joka

What I say is obviously true and what you say obviously isn't.

Basketball is what Memphis does.That much has been made very clear. Stokomo, Mathman,Pudding, and Opperman. All have made good points regardless if they are pro or anti Memphis.

Wacko, right now I'm thinking of a scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail where King Arthur had cut off the another knight's arms and legs in "battle" yet the other guy, clearly defeated, kept on hurling insults and prolonging the fight. Come on, man. You've had one post on this entire thread that has had anything to do with basketball. Mostly, all I see is a personal fued with Opperman. I sure hope going to commune with nature has helped ;)

Edited by Pantherbert

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Memphis faithful,

What are you so proud of...a few more boys basketball wins a year.

I do have an unusual perspective, since I have lived in Memphis, middle TN, and now live in East TN. I am not originally from TN.

Ok Ok, Memphis has been a hotbed for boys basketball. White Station is probably the best team in the state this year. But with all the bragging on a handful of boys out of thousands of kids, and if you were to lose, you know the entire state is going to let you hear it. You are taking all the pressure on yourselves. With all the chatter you are expected to win all your games easy. Pride comes before the fall. :lol:

I moved from Memphis because I prefer a low crime rate, a high percentage of graduation. In the latest move we also got a boys athletics program that contends in several sports year in and out. You can keep your 5 or 6 more basketball wins per year and your city. :D

TheEggoHasLanded,

In my very first post I stated it was because of population. Its simple numbers my friend.

Nashville does not have more people in it. Unless your talking about tourism. A lot of people visit Nashville. I come to Nashville about 5 times a year, and Im always out very late enjoying the night life. I have driven all over Nashville and I can't remember even seeing a basketball. (no I wasn't drinking)

Population of Memphis-653,000

Population of Nashville-573,000

Population of Chattanooga-156,500

Population of Kingsport-44,500

Who has the best chance to produce the best basketball teams?

these are 2004 figures by the way.

Pantherbutt,

Actually the commune with Nature never helped. The tree did put forth a better argument than opperman though. I see your a Memphis guy so I guess thats why you think Im losing the argument. I guess you missed the insults he hurled at me and people from East Tn. in general. I guess you never noticed that you last post was insulting me also. A product of the Memphis school system.

Right now Im thinking of a scene from the movie, Dumb & Dumber. Except It's main characters are opperman & pantherbutt. :D

This whole argument was started by the person that opened this thread, not by me.

have a nice day

WaCo :lol: JaCo

They tried. But two problems...first, they didn't have anybody who could even dream of staying with him, and second, Moy pulled up on the break all the time in the games I saw, and BTW pressed a lot. So if he was getting steals and pulling up on the break, there's not much you're going to do to stop him.

This was my point in a previous post; I saw Moy play in the state a couple of years back, sorry I don't recall the year, however, yes he was phenomenal! Believe it or not though, he also seemed to not really be there. I couldn't figure it out. Then a couple of weeks later, a story ran in The Tennessean about great high school players and where they were going. Guess what? Moy was not a top recruit at any school. Why? Moy admitted that he "uses marijuana", and he had a brush with the law regarding his girlfriend. Phenomenal talent, but not so smart, maybe that's why he bounced around in JUCO. I will admit, I don't think that this is the norm. However, I have seen so many guys at AAU tourneys from Memphis that blow the competition away. Yet, year after year, you try to follow them and they disappear.

Waco my friend, it is not merely about numbers. You can have 2 billion population, but if none put a basketball in their hands, none will be of great talent. The time put into basketball plus the number of people putting the time in produce hotbeds. If numbers were the only case, then they would beat everyone in football, baseball, ETC. I admit, they put moe time in playing the game, and that is after practice with their affiliation. Our area has a FEW kids putting the time in getting better, thus only producing few great teams compared to other areas. It is merely called SPECIALIZATION. The Tri-Cities area is a hotbed for baseball, and not many can disagree.

;)

Edited by Stokomo

Shelby Co is smaller than Davidson, Williamson and whatever other counties are around Nashville.

Memphis has 1 county, how many does Nashville have 2,3?

Waco, I know it's real cute and funny to add or subtract letters from each others names, but no one else is doing that to you, so I'd appreciate you not doing it to others. I'm sure you can survive without making fun of people...the only reason I ask, is I don't want everyone doing that to others, because some don't handle it as well as others, which results in more insults, profane language, etc. which diminishes this website.

Shelby Co is smaller than Davidson, Williamson and whatever other counties are around Nashville.

Shelby Co is the largest in land and population in Tennessee. Nashville is Davidson Co and only Davidson. Now Nashville's metro population does reach into the bordering counties giving Nashville a bigger Metro population than Memphis, but not when compared to city proper or county.

OK, I know Stokomo. Your right. I agree with you. I just wanted to find out how long opperman and pantherbert would argue with me. You have probably read plenty of my post, so you know what Im about. I do get serious sometimes though.

I can remember not that long ago, when you saw alot of kids playing round ball around Kingsport. Especially in Riverview. But not that much anymore. Where have they gone and what are they doing ? I have a funny feeling C. Morgan is generating some excitement in Kingsport once again. Did you check out that freshman team at DB this year?

Oh, and don't forget football. We're pretty darn strong in football here in the Tri-Cities!

Shelby Co is the largest in land and population in Tennessee. Nashville is Davidson Co and only Davidson. Now Nashville's metro population does reach into the bordering counties giving Nashville a bigger Metro population than Memphis, but not when compared to city proper or county.

Yes, I realize shelby is the biggest county, but it is not bigger when you compare it to Davidson and Williamson together is it?