Substitution question for an Official.

deputydog

Say a team starts a game with five(5) players and one of the players gets in foul trouble. The Coach takes the player out for a quarter to keep them from fouling out. Can this be done? Can you take a player out of the game with no one to sub in for him? I know that you have to start a game with five(5) players but you can finish with however many you have left, but I'm not sure about the substitution rules? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, you can play with four, but not three. I saw in happen in a TSSAA girls game. Three girls fouled out and they had to play with four. However, when another girl fouled out, the officials stopped the game and said that you could play with four on the court, but not three.

Yes you can take a player out, play with four, and then put them back in. Now as for what Big Reno is taking about I'm not sure. I have refereed for a while now but never been faced with that rule. I was under the impression that you can play with 1 as long as u started with 5. It is possible that the referees stopped the game in that situation for another reason. But as I said before I'm not sure.

Say a team starts a game with five(5) players and one of the players gets in foul trouble. The Coach takes the player out for a quarter to keep them from fouling out. Can this be done? Can you take a player out of the game with no one to sub in for him? I know that you have to start a game with five(5) players but you can finish with however many you have left, but I'm not sure about the substitution rules? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ruling: This is not permissible. The team must have five players participating as long as it has that number available. Rule 3.1.1

Edited by dabookie

TSSAA may have different rules than NAIA. I once played in a college game in which 8 of our 10 available players fouled out. The game continued. We were told that we would have to forfeit if we only had 1 player left. I'll never forget our coach during a timeout when we were down to 4 players. He looked at us and said, "I guess we need to play a 2-2 zone". That was reduced to a 2-1 zone soon thereafter. The other team showed good sportsmanship in only using the same amount of players as we had available; with the other players just standing near center court while they were on offense. Oh. in case you were wondering, we did lose the game.

Rule 3; Section 1; Article 1 ... Each team consist of five players, one of whom is the captain. Note: A team must begin the game with five players, but if a team has no substitutes to replace disqualified or injured players, it must continue with fewer than five. When there is only one player participating for a team, the team shall forfeit the game, unless the referee believes that team has an opportunity to win the game.