kareem

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Commercial Appeal

Tippett leaving White Station to coach at ECS

March 22, 2004

Terry Tippett, whose White Station High School boys basketball team won its third straight boys Class AAA basketball championship Saturday night, is leaving the school to coach at Evangelical Christian School.

ECS athletic director Jim Heinz made the announcement of the hiring of Tippett, 58, today.

Tippett’s Spartans finished 39-2 this season and are ranked 11th in USA Today’s Super 25 rankings. The title was the fourth in the past five years for White Station. The team’s record during that span is 176-12.

Tippett coached Trezevant High to a state championship before moving to White Station.

Edited by tomcatfan

I don't know the coach personally or professionally, but sometimes a person needs a challenge. Winning three straight AAA championships becomes average. They are the cream of the crop. But sometimes, like players, coaches need a challenge and maybe he wants to see if he can rebuild again. He's won a state championship with Trezvant High, so he has great coaching ability it seems. Good Luck on whatever you do coach and God Bless.

:D

I don't know the coach personally or professionally, but sometimes a person needs a challenge. Winning three straight AAA championships becomes average. They are the cream of the crop. But sometimes, like players, coaches need a challenge and maybe he wants to see if he can rebuild again. He's won a state championship with Trezvant High, so he has great coaching ability it seems. Good Luck on whatever you do coach and God Bless.

:D

Good post!

I read somewhere that he has been teaching for about 30 years. If he goes to the private school and teaches he can retire from Memphis City Schools. He can then draw his retirement from there and get a salary from the private school. His teaching load would probably be dramatically reduced and then all he would have to do is coach. Sounds like a smart decision from an economic standpoint if you ask me. Once again this is what I read somewhere, I haven't been told this.

I heard the same thing as you tomcatfan. Now Coach Tippett will be drawing a check from Memphis as well as the check he will be receiving from ECS. This makes alot of sense considering that coaches, no matter how good they are, don't make alot of money. Look for ECS to be a contender in the next few years in Division 2. Whoever replaces Tippett at White Station is put in a very pressured situation cause this team loses half of their varsity roster to graduation. It doesn't look promising for a 4-peat at this point. However, the Spartans still have one of the most talented players in the state in J.P. Prince.