White Station to ECS?

kareem

You can rest assured that within a couple of years Coach Tippet will be "villianized" for "defecting" to a DIV. II school. He will be accused of recruiting the first time a n inner city Memphis "athlete" ventures into the well to do suburbs to continue his roundball career.

Jealousy will begin to creep into his coach to coach relationships, and it will become difficult for him to schedule games for his squad.

Such is life in DIV.II.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, I think he is doing the right thing for a number of reasons.

1. He has accomplished an amazing feat at White Station and to remain there would leave him only one way to go...down.

2. The players returning aren't going to be enough to get this team back to state next year past the Fairley's, Hamilton's, etc.

3. The junior varsity and ninth grade teams were pitiful and are not going to replentish the varsity.

4. What else does he have to prove?

5. He will increase his salary by @$30,000, by drawing retirement and getting a full salary.

6. He won't have to teach...a tremendous relief during the day.

7. He will be able to run summer camps and keep the money.

8. He will be just as successful at the DII level, because he will attract good players to ECS and the man can flat out coach.

Best of luck to him...he has earned it and deserves it.

Look for Eric Sullivan, (the present girls' coach) to succeed him. The son of former Haywood coach, Rick Sullivan, Eric is a classy young man and will be an excellent choice for the job. Might be tough for him to start out with a state championship though.

When Coach told us after the game,we were crushed and didnt understand. As he explained it more we saw his reasons and felt he did the right the thing. He knos we will miss him and he can never be replaced in the hearts of his players and especially this manager. Jumpshot, do u go to our school cuz thats info only an insider would kno. Thanx Coach T.I.P for my 3 rings and I kno u will do well at ECS.

I personally like Tippett's move to ECS. I am D2 junkie and i think he will improve D2 West a lot. No offense to Wes Cozine at St. Benedict, but i think D2 West has 5 world-class coaches now: Pete Froedden, John Harrington, Jerry Peters, Terry Tippett, and Kelly. All of these people know basketball well and are very kind. I look for D2 to have a sudden increase in Basketball "ballers". I do feel for players like JP at White Station and good luck to them.

I have my three reason for his change, most of them have already been stated.

1. The Jerry West Exception- Once you have reached a certain level of talent standards year after year, you make a move to see if you can do it again at a no so good program.

2. The talent issue - Once you reconize that your talent might run out in a short as one year you, you probably want to get out on top.

3. The money issue - If you can retire from city schools and go to a private school and take your city pension, ECS fitness teacher salary, ECS Basketball coach salary, and ECS Golf coach salary, you could be possibly doubling your income, witch is important to someone prepareing for retirement.

I personally see Tippett staying about 8 to 10 years at ECS and then retiring. I can also see Jerry Peters step down at MUS after this year or the next. In my opinion, one of his sons will get the job (Probably Jason because of his winning at Lausanne, plus Lausanne is running out of talent quickly. I just don't think Jeremy is ready to be a Varsity coach).

Personnally I was not stunned about the move because I had been hearing rumors for about month that the job was offered to him.

Edited by mhabballfan

I think slighting the job coach corzine has done in the past two years is a mistake. they are 40-21 in the last two years with 7 region wins. that is the best that school has ever done. oh and by the way that is with out recruiting any of his players, or having the enrollment that the other schools have. 2 years ago he didn't play a guy over 6 foot and still won 20 games. now that they are getting the new school and will be able to draw from more than 170 boys, i think they are going to be a force in the next couple of years. he is only 26 and does not get near the respect that he deserves. he has beat jerry peters every year he has been there and his son the last two years.the three teams that went to state from the west last year he was 3-1 against and has beaten every team in the region at least once in the last two years. the gameplan for the cbhs game in the tournament 3 years ago was incredible and that has been the biggest upset that tournament has had in a while. they got screwed late in the game this year otherwise they would have put cbhs out again. all i'm saying is know what you are talking about,they don't recruit and don't have the near the enrollment from which to get players and yet they are extremely competetive every game. other than reggie peyton he barely has anyone else who would even play for any of these other teams. he does more with less than anyone in that league!