40 times

mirrorman

40 times are just a measure of quickness and not of speed,  which is one thing that you must also consider.  Scooter may run a 4.4 which means he is quick,  however he is only a 11.0 100m,  22.8 200m runner which means his top speed is not as fast as others.  I am a track guy so don't think i'm just ramblin.  I played football my senior year and in spikes im only 4.5-4.6 in the 40,  but because I have greater top speed which I can maintain I run a 10.7 100,  22.17 200m.  So Scooter is a good break-away player,  which is something you see alot with football players in track;  they get out of the blocks well(especially tailbacks who are very explosive e.x. Scooter,  Cassen J.)  but often get caught by runners with higher top speeds.  I would say Cassen J. is another legit 4.4.  At Gibbs he beat me out of the blocks by 4-5 steps and got me by a step at the finish after I made up 2-3 steps on him starting at about 45-55m into the race.  All i'm tryin to say is that look for recievers/defensive backs to be your faster overall players and runningbacks to be your explosive players who usually are quicker with lower 40 times.

Halls100.......

I am an avid high school football fan. I see various high school teams play every year ( mostly in Knoxville). I saw Halls play South - doyle this year, they romped them. I didn't see anyone with that type of speed on the field which leads me to think one thing, " You were not a football player, you were merely on a football team". Sheppard is a pretty smart fella, given the lack of speed that he experiences year in-year out, he would definitely find a place for someone who REALLY runs that fast and put him on the field. This leads me to think one of two things, "either you are a liar or you have been lied to (about your times)". Who in the dickens are you trying to fool? What position did you "try-out" for? Had to have been a skilled position. Who coaches those positions over there? Must not be much if they can't take speed like yours and make use of it. Quit lyin, I am going to have to make a rare appearance and watch some track. When is your next meet? what is your name? If I don't make the meet, perhaps I can find you in the papers.

Edited by redbyrd84

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to jc 4l, of course jeff won the game, but i for sure seen scooter trying to close in on him from no more than10 yards out, and he couldnt catch him, i even saw it on friday night blitz. however i would put james up against any back in east tn , im just a high school football fan that likes to watch any game, i had no favorites, but im considering; anderson co, maryville; and mo-west, i wonder if anybody else out there has a thought on the matter???????

Halls in fact might be the slowest team in the county.....for obvious reasons. But from what I have heard they (coaches) electronically time all the kids. This is the only way to accurately measure the 40 without having all these outrageous and inflated times. If you were to look at their times you would probably get the impression they were timing three toed sloths. :lol:

footballperson,you would put James up against any back in east tn, as what a better back? he had 497yds 7tds.If so Scooter Houston,Jeff Jennings,Albert Harris,Corey Booker,Chis McCord and others are much better.If you`re talking speed Scooter,Booker,Mark Byrd, would have something to say about that.

to jc4l, im not saying that james is a better back, just that i would say he is as good as any back out there right now. no his yardage didnt compare to some other backs, so i ask my friend in hamblen co, who is a mo-west and east fan why james didnt get more yardage, he said that woods constantly runs up to three sets of backs, which i saw a lot of during the jeff game, but i also watched the east-west game and he ran james only for three qtrs and he stil put out over a hundred yards and also broke a m-west record for the longest return for 95 yards. i would take bets that if woods gives him the chance to run the ball he will go over a 1000 and set some records along the way! it sounds like you might be a jeff fan, and thats great, i wish you the best of luck this year,

I guess we will agree to disagree about James.By the way since you`re trying to find a team to root for, don`t go over to the dark side of Morr West. Choose a team that has some class, Jeff Co would love to have you.I would even rather you be a fan of DB (even though they have plenty of fans)but we can`t have you being a fan of West (sounds like you already are though)

Stretching! Stretching is the key to gaining speed if it doesn`t come by nature.I know fathers who have stretched their kids our every night since they were like 7(maybe even before that) these kids can fly.Remember you can be a very good football player without alot of speed,some of the best players in the NFL don`t run a 4.2.It takes more than spped to be a good football player,its amazing how many slow WR there are that are very good.They are good because they can get off the line,run quick crisp routes,can get separation,and can catch the ball.you don`t have to be very fast to do that!

How many of these kids were timed with electronics like they use at the pro (NFL)combine? I know that some of the Vols did not run a fast 40 at the combine due to the way the timing is done. A hand held timing device does not represent a legit 40 time.