Brentwood Academy Coaching Change

JunkInTheTrunk

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My final two cents on the Ensworth subject: Ultimately, I think the new Ensworth high school is a good thing. I am glad that there will be another great school in the West Nashville community. I am also looking forward to the anticipated rivalry between Ensworth High School and MBA/Harpeth Hall. I'm confident that it will be an excellent school with excellent teachers, coaches, and students. Based on the quality of faculty they've hired thus far, this will be the case. I've seen the new campus and I am thoroughly impressed. I played for Ricky Bowers and I know him to be a good man and a great coach, so I wish him nothing but success. The same goes for coaches Caudill, Rich, Perkinson, and Pack.

To concur with some previous posters, I beleive that Ensworth will have minimal impact on MBA. There will definetely be some kids to go to EHS that would have typically gone to MBA, but that's to be expected. On the academic issue, I will stand by my statement that Ensworth will be a superb academic school, but not quite up to the level of MBA. MBA is the finest school in Nashville and arguably, the state. It will be a tall task for Ensworth to match, but I wish them well. I have seen Ensworth's website and the qualifications of those that they've hired and must agree with Manzikert that they are excellent. However, I would have to ask him to look at the qualifications of MBA's faculty, as well. Finally, I like what Rollredroll had to say:

"MBA’s academic standards are the toughest in the league. They’ve done OK in football – six title game appearances, five titles, three USA Today Top 25s in seven years. And they’ve done it with well-rounded student-athletes – the Class of 2004 led the state with 21 National Merit Semifinalists and 16 Commended Students, and five of those also happened to be on the football team (not to mention the fact the list includes the school’s #1 tennis player and starters on numerous other athletic teams, including baseball and lacrosse)."

Now, let's talk football!

Manzikert-You're correct with your post; however, the majority of kids that would have left Ensworth and gone to MBA as freshman are leaving early and coming to MBA in seventh grade. Somewhere in the teens this year. That's where the perceived discrepency lies. MBA yield was lower in the HS while higher in the junior school.

itzme Posted on Jun 14 2004 - 11:33 PM

More choice is a good thing...period. It makes everyone better, and football will survive, I believe. The sooner Ensworth moves into DII AAA, the better off we will all be. I'd sure rather drive 7 miles for a game than 500. 

I have no doubt that BA will lose some kids to Ensworth. It will be a

very fine school (academics and athletics). However, I am not aware

of any athletes that are (or plan) to transfer to Ensworth from the

middle school or high school. Itzme, are you aware of anyone leaving?

itzme Posted on Jun 14 2004 - 11:33 PM

More choice is a good thing...period. It makes everyone better, and football will survive, I believe. The sooner Ensworth moves into DII AAA, the better off we will all be. I'd sure rather drive 7 miles for a game than 500. 

I have no doubt that BA will lose some kids to Ensworth. It will be a

very fine school (academics and athletics). However, I am not aware

of any athletes that are (or plan) to transfer to Ensworth from the

middle school or high school. Itzme, are you aware of anyone leaving?

Nope, not that I know of. Most transfers out of BA for athletic reasons seem to occur before 9th grade, when reality sets in. They usually go to Brentwood or Ravenswood, not another private.

Like itzme said it's not common at all for kids to transfer from say BA to MBA or vice versa, most go from BA to public, I can't see the forming of Ensworth really taking away any kids from BA, there are very few ( if any ) kids that went to Ensworth Middle that go to BA, whereas there are many that go to MBA, I see Ensworth being a force in DII AAA in about 5-6 years, luckily long after I'm gone from BA.