Z Plan for Classification

armchairqb

Tigercat you may still have to travel to Nashville to play in the playoffs. From my understanding after the teams are picked to compete in the playoffs then that is when the TSSAA will decide the how the teams will be separated. the will try and split them equally east and west . One year a team from nashville area let's say CPA for the time being is placed in the west b/c more teams from the east were in as wild cards than the west. THe next year the could be East if more West teams are in as wild cards. See what I am trying to say travel may not necessarily be cut down during the playoffs, only regular season. Yellow dog i guess I was misinformed on the points system thanks for clearing that up, but you still will see the scheduling problems b/c as a 1A coach I will need to play teams that are going to help my strength of schedule with there wins and losses as well. There is more to think about when scheduling than travel and rivalries in my opinion. AS a coach I will have to see if I can make sure the schedule is one that if something happens and I do not finish 1 or 2 in the region then I can get enough points to qualify as a wildcard. There is a little difference in playoff scenerios wih the wild cards than the current system we have. First, by week 7 or 8 most teams usually have it narrowed down to who they will play in the playoffs and begin setting up film swaps and gathering information on those teams. You usually know who in the other region you will likely face in the playoffs. Here you will have no clue till after the selection show. Finally how will seeds be determined? Home field? Things like that. What if I am the number one seed out of my district at 6-4 for example. There is a wildcard team that is 7-3. How will the home teams and seeds be determined?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a coach, I do not mind the possibility of having to travel a little in the playoffs. In the regular season, a low budget, small rural schools can lose money. However in the playoffs, I will make 1/3 of the gate (home or away) just from making the playoffs. So that counter acts having to pay travel, also, buy the time playoffs roll around, most fall bills are paid and you know exactly what $$$$ you made during the regular season and what you are working with. Also, Playoffs should be treated as a special time for your players and program, so traveling during playoffs is ok in my mind. As far as a time for film swap, you just have to make a decision of missing College football on Saturday, or Pro football on Sunday, in order to break down film and have your staff meetings. It will be interesting to see what happens. Either way, some will be happy and some will be angry. Just play ball and let the cards fall as they may.

Another problem with the Z-plan is that you could very easily have 5A, and 4A teams qualifying for the play-offs by playing 4A and 3A schedules based on "geography."

You can debate all day long whether or not this is fair, but I honestly think it will hinder these larger schools when they get in the play-offs and have to play schools with the same numbers.

Edited by transplant

Correct me if I am wrong. In the Z-plan, wouldn't there be some 8-2 teams not elligible for the play-offs?

There could be, but not likely. The only way an 8-2 team would not be eligible is if

Both of their losses were to region opponents and they played an incredibly weak schedule. If that were the case then their 8 wins would be misleading anyway. Many teams with fewer wins could actually be better football teams. This scenario is the reason Tulane did not win the national title a few years back after posting a perfect 12-0 season. They didn't play anyone! The Z plan factors in toughness of schedule. This would help those schools in tough regions and in fact hurt those schools in weak regions.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Lewis go 10-0 a few years ago, sport a #1 ranking going into the playoffs, and then get destroyed by McKenzie while McKenzie had at least 3-4 losses because of the strength of their schedule.

The Z-plan would make wanna-be contenders actually play somebody for a change!

Correct me if I am wrong. In the Z-plan, wouldn't there be some 8-2 teams not elligible for the play-offs?

In theory it could happen. The likelyhood however, is very remote. I guess I could explain how it could happen but would take too much space and probably noone would want to wade through the details.

TSSAA Meetings Set For Z-Plan Discussion

The TSSAA has announced Football Classification for 2005-2009 will be set at its June Board meeting. Meetings have been set up to discuss two plans that will be considered.

1. The present plan of five classes in Division 1. This classification would be divided in fifths by enrollment.

2. Five classes using AAA, AA, and A as the basic plan putting schools in the same districts as they are in basketball, baseball, and softball. For the playoffs AAA sould become 5A and 4A, AA would become 3A and 2A and A would stay 1A. ( This is the Z Plan, Alternative Plan, Virginia Plan, Michigan Plan, etc.)

March 24= Hickman County High School -details here

April 20= Morristown West High School-10:00 A.M.

April 21= Knoxville Central High School-12:00 Noon

April 28= Opryland Hotel-8:00 A.M.

April 29= Stadium Club at Finley Stadium in Chattanooga-10:00A.M.

May 5= Fayetteville Municipal Building-10:00 A.M.

May 13= Union University, Jackson (Coburn Dining Room 111 in Student Union Bldg.)-10 A.M.

May 14= Memphis Board of Education-10:30

It is very important that football coaches attend these meetings and provide input into the decision that will be made on this issue. We can not have a powerful voice that affects our sport unless we are active in our input of these decisions.

Bird, you are correct in that Giving up a SAt. College game or a Sunday pro game to have meetings should not be a problem. THat is not a problem for me now!! Since I am at a rural school with small staff Sat. is usually Film swapping day, Wash uniform day, Break down our film day and Begin opponent film study day. The point I was making is it cuts down the time you have to prepare if you have to wait till Sunday to get film b/c you have no Idea who you play until then. Scenario, Friday week 10 games played.TSSAA will meet and decide who is in, and so on. At earliest Sat. morning you are informed. Now you must contact opponent and gather film. Could mean driving 30 min or 2 hours! THat was my point. Anyway, Some will like the plan others will not. Personally I do not like the format b/c I believe you are opening up a whole new can of worms with this strength of schedule and wildcard format. If the majority decides to go with plan Z so be it I will show up, prepare my team and play. That is the way it works we may not like everything that occurs but as you should teach your players sometimes you just step up and keep playing.

Edited by wardawg2038

Wardawg, I completely understand where you are coming from. Travel time to swap films will be tough. I guess I look at it like this, my opponent will have the same difficulties and lack of time as I and it will even out in the end. I always feel that I am going to outwork everyone anyway. I may not, but I like to feel that I do. As coaches, I think we all feel that there is not enough hrs in the day to prepare our teams. It will be interesting in June when we find out.

It seems to me that the TSSAA is going to do anything or everything from putting the private schools in their own division. I think this is the reason that we have a new plan every week (Virginia plan, Z-plan, etc.). I also like going to the play-offs. If I am a strong !A school and I try to play bigger schools to beef up my play-off opportunities WHO WOULD PLAY ME? So, my team might play an opposing team with the same number of kids, AND WIN, but my 8-2 team might not make the play-offs. That does't seem right to me.