Region 5-5A in '04

Gtowner

I agree with your assessment of Ryan this year. I think that he is gritty as they come. He may be just a step slower than link but has all the natural ability to be just as good or better. Being the backup for 2 years, it is his time to shine. When he stepped in last year when Link had a breather, he looked really good. I'm not too worried about the Qb position. Now tightend is another story. We lost 4 good tightends and they will be hard to replace. I hear that Taylor Young is going to move into the interior defensive line so that leaves a linebacker postion up for grabs. Thta should be a good battle between Paul Mulhilly and soph. (#34 escapes my mind for a moment). Both bring speed to that position. If Manning and Harper are as good as they are advertised, then we should be in good shape in the defensive secondary as well as runningback.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you Redbaron, I was not aware that he had any experience at QB. I'd see him run the ball some last year when they played Hunters Lane. He should not have any trouble being a good running QB. If he sees the field well he may be pretty successful at the QB spot.

I'm with you Redbaron, I was not aware that he had any experience at QB. I'd see him run the ball some last year when they played Hunters Lane. He should not have any trouble being a good running QB. If he sees the field well he may be pretty successful at the QB spot.

That Hendersonville rumor is from his father and some of the Hendersonville fans I know.

Hendersonville started spring practice, I saw them on the field this afternoon. Anybody heard who they will be scrimmaging and when?

Gwave, I have not heard anything about H-ville scrimmages, but if I do I will let you know. How do you all think that the Green wave Defense will do this season? Defensive cordinator Coach Walls always does a great job, but do you think that he will have the players to create a defense as good as the past few years?

Where was this good defense when they played Hunters Lane?

The team had alot on there mind during that game. Yes, I know that that's no excuse, but wouldn't you find it hard to play hard when you knew that it was in vain? Plus, Hunters Lane played exceptionally well that night, but their poor attitude and immature actions after the game made me lose every ounce of respect for their team! :justwrestle:

Where was this good defense when they played Hunters Lane?

Being told that they win one game out of the next 2 and they are region champs at the beginning of the week and then being told that they have to win the next 2 with a Beech victory over Glencliff just to make the playoffs a day later was very hard on the team. Take nothing away from Hunters Lane. They obviously played the best game they could that night and won. That being the peak of their play, I don't believe they won another game.

Defense should be better than last year in my opinion. Coward was a good surprise last year. One year of experience should really help this junior to be. Kyron Malone returning will be an asset. Taylor Young will bring speed to the line. Zack Walker is solid at tackle. Ryan MacFarland played beyond his experience at strong safety. He was voted most valuable db last year. He singlehandedly caused 4 fumbles last year that should have been touchdowns. The other linebacking spot will be filled with speed no matter who wins it. The defensive backs will have a lot of speed with Marvis Malone who can fly and the upcoming sophmores Harper and Manning.

Overall I see us being a lot better. Time will tell.

That is good to here Gwave. The Green Wave normally has a good defense mostly because Coach Walls is such a great defensive cordinator. It sounds like we have a lot of talent on defense this year. Do you think that going both ways all of the time is going to be too hard on McFarland?

Link handled it well last year. Charlie Brooks, Corey Lewis, Lauren Lassiter, Markell Rice, and Corey Malone were all Qb's who also played db their senior year. Being one of the better athletes on the field, going 2 ways should not be a problem. Finding a quality backup will take some of the pressure off of him too. I see Dontae Hall stepping up big time this year. I have heard that he has the strongest arm on the team and he sure has the genes to be a great one( brothers Doug and Calvin Hall ). Not too mention Shipley will probably see time under center as well. Even the "General" looked good in some of the b-team games last year. We have some talent, we just need the ever valuable experience. If one of those players can develop, I see us being a lot like last year. When MacFarland needs a break, he will get it and the other qb will step in and things will proceed as normal. You may see some of those backup qb's also getting a lot of playing time in the secondary.