Union City To Single A?

Purple & Gold Standard

I didn't mean to imply that private school students would be funded by OC citizens. Thats why I said that many UC people are more than able to fund a private school, both its opening and their student's tuitions.

Also, like you said, it was the UCSSD's decision to form their own system and create a separate city education tax. If the UCSSD gave up control of their schools, that would not be Obion County's decision and the county would have to raise taxes to make up for the added expense of more students. So, basically, Union City would be getting rid of their problems (aging buildings and debt) at the County's expense and Obion County couldn't do a thing about it. And, if the current tax funds used for schools in the city are taken away from education and given to roads, parks, etc., the tax hike for the county would be substantial.

None of this is written out of anger and it is not intended to point fingers at anyone. I worked in Union City for years and still have many, many friends there, including current administration at many levels. I'm just afraid that Obion County will suffer and Union City will come out smelling like a rose. I want everyone to benefit from any changes and not see someone suffer from them.

I agree with the previous post, If people remember their history and go back over 20 years, the folks of Obion Co. payed a huge burden on building new schools during the consolidation, thus drying up the economy in some towns.. Some towns got new schools , others did not.. When you lose a school in your town, the town eventually will dry up.. When people move in from another area, they are going to settle in towns that have schools.. Enough said.. It's the nature of the beast, not just in Obion but Crockett Co and other places where going through the same thing

at the same time :rolleyes: The biggest joke about this is the ole school board got it wrong

with the building process and some of the K-8 schools had to add on because more students kept coming in) .. From where?? B) From UC which had the luxury of driving just two miles to go to two of the consolidated schools. So it's to be expected and will come full circle.. By state law there is nothing the county folks can do about it.. Dyer County had discussed this a few years ago in the late 90's on consolidation of DC and Dyersburg into one school system and the D-Burg folks

through a fit :rolleyes: As it relates to where you play 1A or 2A, UC would be much better off playing in 1A in all sports, especially girls basketball.. If there was a way for OC to play 1A in basketball it would be a huge relief because clearly they can't compete anymore in 2A basketball. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Union City? SINGLE A? me being from South Fulton, I think Union City is a dynasty, I mean they have had some Mr. Footballs, they have even been to a couple of State Championship Games, they are one of those teams that have one bad seson, last year was horrible fro them but i know they will bounce back. As Far as Union City moving to Single A? i mean its gonna take some time to adjust. I mean i got used to seeing a Union City Schedule with teams like Milan, Huntingdon, Westview, Central, and some of the Memphis Area Teams. With UC in single A, Union City and South Fulton would be a rivalry game and it would make 8-1A football really competitive. Basketball on the other hand, i gots to agree with redbirdfan, the girls basketball team hasnt really been that good over tha last couple of seasons, Also I have heard that UC might become a private school, is that true? get at me on that one Edited by dc38257