The Best in Knoxville over the past 25 years?

znagglepuz

Here is a coach many may not remember, John Clabough. He was extremely young when he became the HC at Young HS in the late 50's (late 20's??) He was there until it closed in '76. He won everywhere he coached Young, South-Young, Fulton and finally Doyle in 1980. He was still relatively young (early to mid 50's )when he suddenly died in the winter on 1981. The Doyle program (a consistent 7-8 game winner in old district 3 AAA when Farragut and Oak Ridge routinely went 9-1 or 10-0) quickly fell apart and started a 27 game losing streak in 1981 that lasted until the last game of 1983 a 3-0 win over an equally hapless Bearden. If you go to the now South-Doyle HS football field you may notice that the goal post in the south endzone is not identical to that of the north endzone. That is because the goal post of the south endzone was literally ripped down after the 3-0 victory to end 1983. After the mele that insued the 1983 victory all that was left where 2 metal nobs sticking from the concrete foundation where the goal post once stood.

A side note the RB from Doyle in 1986 was Mitchell Davis. In 1983 as a freshman he suffered a severe cut to a forearm because he was the fool that was hanging onto the crossbar of the goal post when it broke in half. A picture of him hanging onto the crossbar just befre it broke was in the Knoxville Journal or News Sentinell the next day. Ohh for the days of 2 local newspapers.

For years I had a piece of that goal post but I think it got thrown away in the early 90's by my mom. She just didn't get the significance of the "trophy" of that great win. It set our team up for a 10- 0 regular season the next year and a narrow 21-14 loss in the playoffs to OR.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have seen alot of players in the last 25 years. if D.J Bowman of knox central had not broke his arm in the third game of his senior year, alot of you would think he was one of the best to play in knoxville. i have not missed a central game in 10 years, he is the best athlete i have seen there in those 10 years. his grades were not good, and now he is with the lord.

R.I.P. D.J

QB's: Todd Helton(knox cent), Jason Price (Farragut), Joey Mathews (Sev.Co)

Shane Kelly(Sev Co), Pennington excelled in college/pros-not as much in high school.

RB's: Lee Roy Thompson (AE), Reggie Cobb, Kippy Bayless (Knox Cent), Travis Cozart (Lenoir City), Scotty Witt (Clinton), Bohanon, Summers (ORidge)

WR's: Billy Williams (Alcoa), kid from Clinton(96-97), Gipson (ORidge)

TE: Von Reeves (AE), Shannon Mitchell (Alcoa)

OL/DL: Jason Layman (Sev Co), Spencer Riley (Jeff Co), Randy Hall (Halls), Rudy Stinson (Powell)

LB: Todd Collins, Brent Collins (Jeff Co), Mike Caldwell (ORidge), James Bates (Sev Co), Jeff County had another guy that played alongside Todd Collins that was a stud-can't remember his name.

DB: Cozart, Summers, Julian(Halls), and Todd Helton was a great free-safety-I always thought he was overlooked there.

Lovey........

Kevin Julian played LB NOT DB. Get your facts straight.

Starsnbars........

What about Joe Cofer? He started at Mike lb for U.T. as a true freshman. He weighed about 198.

I should have been more specific. I was talking about Jason Julian-the guy that played DB for UT for a season. I didn't mean to get my facts crooked.