morristown east football

BIGR35

No doubt Randy Frazier knew how to play the game of football, but his coaching ability was suspect. His record before East and while at East tells the tale and I would dare state that his overall coaching record is sub .500 . Irregardless I can agree that Billy Seals got a raw deal. I've known Billy for a long time and was very hopeful that he would get the job. In my opinion, Jerry T's coaching hires have done more to screw up East High Athletics than anything I can think of in the last 10 years. If Billy would have been hired, it would be a lot easier to understand a young coach having some problems, while allowing him to get things headed in the right direction. I think Billy will be a head coach very soon but we will probably lose him to some other school. Same thing that happened in baseball. East gets Griffen as coach, he leaves and rather than hire Rice, Jerry T hires Wills who was not very good and is fired in two (2) years. Now East loses Johnny Rice to Karns where he will be head coach. I hope same thing doesn't happen with Seals. The bottom line is East High Football has some problems. It will take some time to correct. Hopefully, Smith is the man who can turn things around. Maybe with a change in administration good things will happen.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eo1914, I think Randy had some good teams when he was at Hazard Ky. True his record at Union County was not over .500 but was better than the records they had before he came or after he left. Although the talent coming back when he left according to most Union County followers was the best they had ever had, and the schedule he left them with very soft, they had identical 2-8 records the next two years, with victories over 1A Cosby and Claiborne County in both years.

I think Jerry T had a bad hire with a young baseball coach a few years ago and got a phobia about young head coaches after that. Anyway you can't judge everybody by one bad apple. I do know Gary Johnson likes Billy, and I would be surprised if it is left up to Gary that Billy will be coaching anywhere other than at East. So we are on the same page with Billy, and I think he will be the next head coach at East when coach Smith decides to hang it up, and just hope that he doesn't get impatient if it doesn't happen as soon as he would like.

The baseball situation was a strange one. I really like Adrian Wills as a person, but I could never tell when I was at a game, or spoke to the players, who was the head coach. Seemed to me coach Rice did more coaching than coach Wills.

Regardless the problems at East will never fix themselves until they have stability in the program with their coaches. You can not expect to build a program when you are changing coaches every two years.

Edited by Big Daddy

Word has it on the street that Seals may be also on his way out the door. Looks like another great young coach has decided to say the heck with East High. Why don't the administration including Dale Lynch get a clue about athletics. Seals put in his time and effort with the kids only to be looked over by a 65 year old coach who is just looking to make some money. I really believe that until east high can get over its phobia about young coaches they will always be a second rate program

Regardless the problems at East will never fix themselves until they have stability in the program with their coaches. You can not expect to build a program when you are changing coaches every two years.

I've been following your thread ( like to follow most threads from M'town going east ). Big Daddy, you're dead on with this one. What have the top programs like a Maryville and Dobyns Bennett had in common? .... dedicated coaches who have been there for the long haul, not just a year or two. It takes time to develop things and possibly more time to bring a program back after a few years of stumbling. Volunteer, is a good example to prove your point. The Falcon's nest used to be a revolving door for coaches in most sports. They have had Coach Venable for several years now and we all see how that program is growing and improving. They also have an AD who does a good job and lets the coaches do theirs. They should be better again this year. I think of another program which has been going the other way for the last decade....Sullivan South. South used to be a team that could beat anybody any given Friday. They'd hit ya in the mouth. Their coaching has changed a few times over the past few years and they're waffling. With their hiring of former Rebel, Stacy Carter, as head coach there's again hope in Death Valley.

Hope you all have a good season. Hope you get a coach to hold on to and he'll stick around. Hope the phobia of young coaches isn't real. Man, younger coaches add vigor and life to a program. :)

I agree satchump Volunteers program is turning around alot and they sould be very good this year and i agree totally on the sullivan south comment that program is headed downhill unless somebody can stop it. I also think Sullivan North is another football program that is heading downhill but slowly. They were 3-7 last year and how they made it to the playoffs is beyond me but the seniors this year won 1 game as freshman and i dont see them being any better than last year probably worse.

Roger, all I can say is that I hope the word on the street about coach Seals is wrong. He is a good young coach, and also a former Hurricane, so it would be a blow to lose him. I think coach Smith is closer to 58-59 than 65 though.

SatchUmp, you are right on, young coaches got a little more fire in their eyes, and most kids relate to them better, but it is still good to have some experience too. As you said it takes all those things talked about, as well as the AD and administration to have a top notch program. Something else that the Falcons evidently have is cooperation among the coaches of different sports to share the athletes, and not try to talk a good athlete into playing only their sport. Otherwise you would not have so many good athletes like Lindholm, Hughes, ect. playing and excelling in more than one sport. This is not always the case at a lot of schools, but is necessary especially for schools that are on the low end numbers wise of their classifications and have fewer good athletes to choose from.

Edited by Big Daddy

Just received some information that East has three kids transferring in this fall. One kid is from Atlanta and the other two are brothers from N.C. I hope these three kids can fit in to the program and contribute some. The kid from Atlanta is about 6'3 but I do not know whether he plays football or not the other two kids from N.C. play football. One of the kids plays OL and the other kid is only a sophomore. East needs all the players they can get.

Hot dang glad to see this board back up and some FOOTBALL to talk about. Looks like i got a lot of reading to do. Did not know Johnny Rice left. Recon he must have not been offered the East job or maybe the grass was greener at Karns.

roger, if Billy Seals leaves East I'll knock a big knot on his head even if he is bigger than me. Good to hear we got some transfers. Hope they can play. In fact I'll be greedy and hope they are as good as the last three we got from Union county. You seen big Coker this summer, man he is a bulldozer. He's got to be 6'3" and at least 300 pounds, and it don't look like fat either.

Should be an exciting year, and i think four teams, Greenville, West, East, and Volunteer got a legit chance at the crown. Lord knows it is never easy to play Cocke county at their place either. Bring on Campbell county I'm ready for some football.

well, well, well. so it has begun. Anyway, let me say this thread is kinda gettin crazy and really doesn't reflect the topic at all. But, with me being interested I'm gonna help out and make it even more off topic.

First off, I don't wanna hear any East fan talking trash about Jeff Co. YOU did drop them from your schedule last year if i'm not mistaken, let me go ahead and tell you I'm not.

Secondly, The Trojans did lose a very good senior class with a world of talent on defense. The defense from the 2003 was succesful because of the talent, BUT also because about 8 of those guys started their Junior season as well. The Defense this year does bring a lot of seniors to the table, but those seniors spent a lot of their time on the sideline last year. The real task is getting them use to the level of play and speed and hopefully they can improve as the year goes on.

Talkin about the offense, hmmm. I'm a defense guy so i'm not gonna try to spread any knowledge. The Trojans do have some quality players on that side of the ball as well. Maybe the role will be switched this year and the Offense will be the strong point of the team, I'd always like to have a better Defense though...

The East guys always start talkin trash, well let me just go ahead and brag about me 4-0 record against you. We did earn it, might as well enjoy it.

Regarding East though, seems like they don't really give any coach a chance. If he doesn't provide an awesome team within a year he's gone. I'm really thankful West landed Don Woods some odd years ago, so they dont have to worry about that.

I'm not fully updated on Jeff this year. Who do they have? I've heard Chris Shiverdecker mentioned a few times already though.

WestTrojan2007- you could be usin all this spare time to do somethin like ummm- Run, Workout or somethin. nah im playin, and you know who Mr.T is. Or you should.

oh yeah- Shout out to the Nate Buice.

amen sugarcane who is jiveturkey and why does he have a right to brag about being 4-0 against East. Were you a contributer or a kid who stands on the sidelines and is a cheerleader. I was just wondering. About East dropping Jeff Co. I think it was a very smart move to drop Jeff. Co because East is trying to build a program and it does East no good to open up with Jeff Co. then play Powell and then Knox Central. Why have a team that is trying to rebuild open up 0-3 and lose all confidence. I would like to see East schedule Jeff Co. again I think it is a good rivarly and East has about the same talent as Jeff Co. has. Good luck to Jeff Co. and Coach Hastings.