Best Players in Blount County

TnVols23

William Blount has produced quality college prospects in the last few years, such as Reece McMahon (Cleveland St.), Chad Cunningham (Chattanooga St.), Kevin Hagey (Walters), and Reid Davis (Maryville College).

WB also has a few seniors that should produce in college: Cory Williams, Craig Wojciechowski, Phillip Tucker, and Justin Young. All except Young have commited to colleges and if he desires, Young could be an excellent college player.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

William Blount has produced quality college prospects in the last few years, such as Reece McMahon (Cleveland St.), Chad Cunningham (Chattanooga St.), Kevin Hagey (Walters), and Reid Davis (Maryville College).

WB also has a few seniors that should produce in college: Cory Williams, Craig Wojciechowski, Phillip Tucker, and Justin Young. All except Young have commited to colleges and if he desires, Young could be an excellent college player.

where is cory williams gona go?

I agree WB has had some decent players and will feed the small programs like Cleveland state, Maryville College and maybe CN. Many of the players get to the HS levels and the next because of money, contacts and politics. I was talking about D1 type players developing. East Tennessee has great minor league venues like Elizabethton, Bristol, Greenville and Kingsport not to mention the Smokies. It would be nice for a Blount county kid to get to that level locally.

My view is build some fields, hold some camps, get these great area teams involved and hire and pay some real baseball coaches at the high school level. The coaches at all the school levels do the best job possible but politics and lack of community support and knowledge of the game hurt the kids. The little league sets its All-Stars by who wins the popular vote by the kids and whose Dad is going to coach the team. The local paper almost never reports on any of the leagues results or the High School’s box scores. I know these are lofty views but other Tennessee communities have done it or are working on it. Maryville cares more about old washed up never was fat guys swatting softballs with juiced up bats over a short fence in the so called classic than letting kids have decent fields to play on or a competitive league to play in. My two cents.

How are the players that have gone to college doing in college? I know the names of Cleveland State, Chattanooga State, and Walters State are all junior colleges, and if Blount County has players in those programs, maybe we'll see some transfers to D1 level colleges.

Current college player:

Andy Howdeshell (Heritage 2000)

Shortstop @ ETSU

2003 - 1st team Southern Conference

2004 pre-season honorable mention "All-American"

2003 stats: ba-.354, doubles - 14, hr-10

2004 (to date): ba- .344, doubles - 16, hr-8

Others: Caulkin, Lindsay and Birchfield are all at Carson-Newman

Maryville College: Justin Kidd (Maryville) Brad Wicks and Mark Robinson (Heritage)

Albert Davis Jr. (Alcoa) was drafted by the Pirates a few years ago and played a couple of minor league seasons.

I used to hear a lot about a SS from William Blount, Dusty Holden. They say he was a quality player. I didn't get to see him play much, but I do know he sat the state record his sophomore year with 4 homers in 1 game, more impressive, he only swung the bat 4 times that game.

I used to hear a lot about a SS from William Blount, Dusty Holden. They say he was a quality player. I didn't get to see him play much, but I do know he sat the state record his sophomore year with 4 homers in 1 game, more impressive, he only swung the bat 4 times that game.

His brother isn't too bad either. :rolleyes:

Gameday24, Cory is unsigned at this time but the way he played this year he will have no problem. He will be in front of a lot of college coaches in the next few weeks. He's playing on really good summer travel team. To other points, yes Blount county needs a good baseball complex. Simply look at how much Southeastern sports complex pulls in each year not only for them but for the area business. Playing around 6 times there last year, I saw teams from Canada, Michigan, Oaklhoma,Texas, and many other states. Not bragging but in blount county we have many more nice hotels and food esablishments. Travel ball can be expensive but if done right it don't have to be.