Realignment of Weight Classes

michael.geasley

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Forfeits should be worth the same as a fall. If my wrestler makes weight and the other team does not have an athlete, why should he be denied contributing 6 points to the team score? That is what he could have scored if they had a wrestler in his weight class.

Imagine Team A v Team B in the finals of the state duals. Team A is leading by 4 points going into the last match. Team B has the returning state champ left to wrestle and Team A shifted their lineup and only have an average freshman filling that spot. Instead of wrestling the match, Team A forfeits, gives up only 3 team points and wins the dual by 1. How is that fair? Assuming the returning state champ from Team B would have pinned that kid, Team B would/should win the dual.

My understanding is that Pennesylvania is pushing the possible change in weight classes. Most schools in Penn wrestle, small and large. The small schools are upset that they don't have the numbers from which to draw to fill an entire weight class. Well, tough crap in my mind. Beat the bushes even more and find that kid to fill the hole. There are kids that never would have competed in sports had their not been those lighter weight classes. There are 100 pound kids in most any school? Are all of them the best athletes? No necessarily. But with time and patience they could work out to be some of your most solid performers, especially if they can make 103 or 112 as an upperclassman.

Edited by CoachDelgado

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Earlier in this post I defended the current weight classes. However, I'm starting to change my mind. Consider this match:

145 J Konz (F) dec over Fuller 4-0

152 Spain (BC) dec over Heacock 7-2

160 B Davis (F) fall over Crisp

171 Heffington (BC) fall over McPhee

189 Kirn (F) fall over Brooking

215 Sivley (BC) fall over Acorn

275 Grady (BC) fall over Cathey

103 Randolph (BC) won by Forfeit

112 R Konz (F) maj dec over Johnson 12-4

119 M Ortiz (F) fall over Mang

125 Withrow (BC) dec over Zarbo 7-0

130 Culbertson (BC) dec over Davis 5-3

135 K Felix (F) fall over Ensminger

140 Creagan (BC) maj dec over B Felix 9-0

Bradley 36

Franklin 30

IMHO, it's sad that the difference between two of the strongest wrestling programs in Tennessee is a forfeit at 103.

Many of the matches I've seen this year had a double-forfeit at 103. I would think that a lot of teams are fielding a 103 pounder that has no wrestling experience, just so they can avoid a forfeit or better yet, pick up a forfeit.

What do you guys think? Is having a l03# class good for the sport or bad?

Earlier in this post I defended the current weight classes.  However, I'm starting to change my mind.  Consider this match:

145 J Konz (F) dec over Fuller 4-0

152 Spain (BC) dec over Heacock 7-2

160 B Davis (F) fall over Crisp

171 Heffington (BC) fall over McPhee

189 Kirn (F) fall over Brooking

215 Sivley (BC) fall over Acorn

275 Grady (BC) fall over Cathey

103 Randolph (BC) won by Forfeit

112 R Konz (F) maj dec over Johnson 12-4

119 M Ortiz (F) fall over Mang

125 Withrow (BC) dec over Zarbo 7-0

130 Culbertson (BC) dec over Davis 5-3

135 K Felix (F) fall over Ensminger

140 Creagan (BC) maj dec over B Felix 9-0

Bradley 36

Franklin 30

IMHO, it's sad that the difference between two of the strongest wrestling programs in Tennessee is a forfeit at 103.

Many of the matches I've seen this year had a double-forfeit at 103.  I would think that a lot of teams are fielding a 103 pounder that has no wrestling experience, just so they can avoid a forfeit or better yet, pick up a forfeit.

What do you guys think?  Is having a l03# class good for the sport or bad?

825480652[/snapback]

what about the really big guys 275 and up? WE cry about football taking them

IMHO, the sign of a real championship program is one that can field a complete line-up and win or one that can win while they overcome the fact that they can't field a complete line-up. If I remember correctly Bradley won at least one if not two of their Dual state championships while forfeiting at 103 or 275.........in the 90's I think. There are plenty of teams that have 103 wrestlers so maybe instead of getting rid of 103 we should encourage the teams that don't have 103 to do a better job of getting smaller students to come out for their teams or just win without a complete line-up. Just my opinion.

Geasley..Let me make sure I understand this.

You draw your conclusion to do away with the 103 weight class nationwide because Franklin High School in Franklin, Tennessee and several other Middle Tennessee schools (who have a history of forfeiting numerous weight classes) cannot or do not put a 103 on the mat???

Consider two other pieces of information. The first is the new Body Fat testing that caught many 103's by surprise and forced them to 112. Also take a look at the total number of wrestlers in the wrestling rooms of the schools who are forfeiting at 103. I believe you would find that schools with a large number of wrestlers on the team have less problem putting a 103 on the mat.

The reality of this is....there will always be less available wrestlers in the lowest weight class because there is not a weight class below to draw wrestlers when there is an open spot. In every other weight class, the pool of available wrestlers is increased because of the weight classes below.

Conclusion...Do away with the 103 weight class and in time schools will be forfeiting at 112 at the same rate they are forfeiting 103 today. Today, we are not getting the 90 pound freshman into the wrestling rooms. Make 112 or 108 (or whatever) the lowest weight class and in time the 100 pound freshman will be hard to find.

A question for you to think about.-----How many heavyweights are really overweight 215's? Should we do away with the heavyweights also?

I'm going to chime in again and repeat that I think we should leave the lighter weight classes alone. I'd like to see a realignment of the upper weight classes that gets rid of one of them. Then I'd not have such a struggle with my unenlightened football coach.

Four of my better kids are wrestling now because they were 110 lbs or less as 8th graders and their coach told them they were never going to be big enough to play. Now they're all around 130 lbs, fast, strong, and fearless. They're all pretty smart too. I think they'd be a heckuva kamikaze defensive backfield for somebody, but not our school (which I might add is 10 games under 500 over the last six seasons).

But our coach still tells my 255 lb heavywieght who was 19.9% bodyfat that he'd better not lose weight while he's wrestling.

I was a 105 lb inside linebacker in 1974. Wrestling gave me something to do. Leave the little guys alone.

And I thought it was unwise to count Bradley out....

Geasley..Let me make sure I understand this.

1)You draw your conclusion to do away with the 103 weight class nationwide because Franklin High School in Franklin, Tennessee and several other Middle Tennessee schools (who have a history of forfeiting numerous weight classes) cannot or do not put a 103 on the mat???

2)Consider two other pieces of information. The first is the new Body Fat testing that caught many 103's by surprise and forced them to 112. Also take a look at the total number of wrestlers in the wrestling rooms of the schools who are forfeiting at 103. I believe you would find that schools with a large number of wrestlers on the team have less problem putting a 103 on the mat.

3)The reality of this is....there will always be less available wrestlers in the lowest weight class because there is not a weight class below to draw wrestlers when there is an open spot. In every other weight class, the pool of available wrestlers is increased because of the weight classes below.

4)Conclusion...Do away with the 103 weight class and in time schools will be forfeiting at 112 at the same rate they are forfeiting 103 today. Today, we are not getting the 90 pound freshman into the wrestling rooms. Make 112 or 108 (or whatever) the lowest weight class and in time the 100 pound freshman will be hard to find.

5)A question for you to think about.-----How many heavyweights are really overweight 215's? Should we do away with the heavyweights also?

825480725[/snapback]

BB,

Your first paragraph: (I numbered your paragraphs for clarity) It would not be productive for me to address your comments.

Second paragraph: Is it fair to say that we have fewer 103 pounders in the state than we had any of the previous couple of years? Can we agree that we are seeing more 103 pound forfeits and double forfeits this year than in the previous couple of years?

I agree that next year we will have more guys cut down below 7% body fat in order to certify for the 103 pound weight class. However, I don't think (key term here is think, because I don't know) that the number will be significantly higher. This year the kids had more than a month to lose the weight and yet many did not, or we would have more 103 pounders, (if we agree that there are fewer 103 pounders this year).

I agree that the more wrestlers you have in your wrestling room increases your chance of having a 103 pounder. However, my question deals more with what percentages of team have a 103 pounder, rather than, do the strong teams have one.

Your third paragraph brings up a very interesting point. When I wrestled, 30+ years and 40+ pounds ago, we had a 98 pound weight class (I think that was the weight, but I know it was less than 103). Was that weigh class done away with because of the general high school population getting larger or was it for the reason you, BB, listed above in paragraph 3? I don't know and would love to hear more comments on this.

Your last paragraph: My sons are closer to the lower weights so I more closely follow these weight classes. I don't know much about the heavier weights. But I'm opened to opinions on them as well.

Lastly, a few programs, and I would guess that Bradley is one of them, could field a competative team even if the weight classes were spaced every 3 pounds. That would speak well of the programs that could pull it off, but it wouldn't make for a very interesting dual match against most other programs. Please don't misunderstand, I think Bradley does it right. They know what it takes to win and they make sure they have the weight classes covered. I'm just not sure that much of the rest of the state is keeping up (especially at the 103 pound weight class).